What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I did, and now having it in my hand i can evaluate my design and make changes if necessary. Any suggestions on the design or ratio of blade to handle on the cuts? Or things to watch for moving forward?

Hey KillerGriller, on working on filing into shape my 7th knife. What I have done is do a bunch of sketching until you like what you see. Sketch one up that you think you like then put it away for a couple days and come back to look at it, my mind has changed a few times doing this. Go to Hobby Lobby and grab a $4 piece of 3/16 balsa wood and cut out a template/prototype, then you can actually feel it and go through some cutting motions to see if it is working for you. Here is my latest batch of protos:

Can you show a pic of your drawing and a better pic of your blanks?

The green colour is where i’m thinking of grinding down/off more material

44090309384_21de4ebc5b_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
This is pre-grind, no sharp edges until much later. I'm mostly curious about the height of the handle on lower blank, it looks too big for the blade but sometimes it looks fine. I'm trying to maintain the curvature/mirror the blade curve to keep the design tied together, but not sure if there's a better option than lowering the whole tang. I'd hate to make it too small after all.

This is pre-grind, no sharp edges until much later. I'm mostly curious about the height of the handle on lower blank, it looks too big for the blade but sometimes it looks fine. I'm trying to maintain the curvature/mirror the blade curve to keep the design tied together, but not sure if there's a better option than lowering the whole tang. I'd hate to make it too small after all.

Your hand will tell you what to do....

Fashion a temporary handle. Use wet paper towels, playdoh, modeling clay, a strip of rag and electrical tape... make a shape like what you are thinking and hold it in various grips. Squeeze the material you use and if there seems to be too much tang you will feel it.

Just by looks, I think you need more/deeper finger pocket.

Just sent off a few to Peters' in AEB-L. The three 3" blade drop points are for our Medical department, will receive natural Canvas Micarta scales. The Santoku is for my father, ground for a lefty. The little guy...well, that's just cause :)

HGnfD5F.jpg

k6lFGvr.jpg

Finished up a little kitchen knife that has been waiting a while. 15N20 steel from JTKnives and burl from Kevin McGovern. Thanks Guys! First time working with stabilized burl, what beauty. It cuts jalapenos pretty well too!

Wow! LOve that!

Thanks Rick. It’s a circular saw blade, but it pre-dates carbon tips, I posted some details/pics here hoping for some insights on WTH it was. Any ideas?
K KillerGriller I would test a piece, first. That saw blade has what looks like carbide tips. The body could be made of mild steel. I almost guaranty it isn't L6. Quench a piece in oil and see if it breaks easily.

Thanks Rick. It’s a circular saw blade, but it pre-dates carbon tips, I posted some details/pics here hoping for some insights on WTH it was. Any ideas?

Looking at the bottom right corner of the back of the package (in your linked thread), it does say that the saw teeth are brazed on carbide. I wouldn't hold my breath on it making anything other than a knife shaped object, but no harm in testing a piece and tempering (pun intended) your expectations on what can be made from it. Have fun!

Back