What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

r68lfjy.jpg

VERY long way to go on this guy. But I'm seriously loving making folders. Been using PB washers but think.im gonna switch to bearings

Looks fantastic, is that
Is that one of the "whitepaper" san mai steels? What did you do for your heat treat and etch? Where do you get yours from?
Thanks,
Josh

Thanks. It is The takefu white steel core with 22 mild steel laminations. I buy from dictum or workshop heaven.

I forge and the. heat treat in a forge and quench in straight water and then flash temper to 63-64 rc. as taught to my by Murray Carter.

Etch is 3:1 fc. quick etch. Just a few seconds.

I made a couple of draw knives for some upcoming projects. I'm planning on using them for some hatchet handles, and to make a longbow.

Hey Sean, have you made many bows?
I've got a piece of advice when using a draw knife for bow making: When working the back of the bow down to a single growth ring, you might want to dull your draw knife a bit. if it's dull, it'll tend to want to wedge between growth rings instead of wanting to cut through them. this will make it easier to keep one growth ring, without violating the fibers and causing you to have to go deeper.
anyway, cool project! good luck with the bows, they are tons of fun to build!

Hey Sean, have you made many bows?
I've got a piece of advice when using a draw knife for bow making: When working the back of the bow down to a single growth ring, you might want to dull your draw knife a bit. if it's dull, it'll tend to want to wedge between growth rings instead of wanting to cut through them. this will make it easier to keep one growth ring, without violating the fibers and causing you to have to go deeper.
anyway, cool project! good luck with the bows, they are tons of fun to build!
I haven't made a bow yet, but thanks for the tip. I will remember that one .

Back