What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

This ones going to someone very special in 10 days...Gyuto, says I, about 12" OAL x 1 1/4 tall in 52100 with Chechen, Bubinga front and back, multi color spacers and copper.
19-13 3.JPG 19-13 4.JPG 19-13 1.JPG 19-13 2.JPG
Maybe not a pure Wa handle, I beveled the top and bottom of the front about 12 degrees. This one has a twin that I beveled the front on all 4 sides, both feel better than a pure straight run to the "face"... my Japanese glossary ain't on this computer.

Last edited:
Made a hunter for christmas. Böhler N690 steel, red stabilized poplar burl with black liners and bronze pins. 800grit hand rubbed satin on a flat ground blade.

8NXJbp.jpg

DoOPgO.jpg

e1cGoL.jpg

Is7iKr.jpg

Please tell me what that is? What is the wood for the handle?

Hoss
Sure, it’s a woodworkers adze for hollowing out bowls and chair seats. The wood is actually some nice figured hickory treated with blo and then a coat of homemade Lin-wax. It’s a linseed-turpentine-beeswax mix

Sure, it’s a woodworkers adze for hollowing out bowls and chair seats. The wood is actually some nice figured hickory treated with blo and then a coat of homemade Lin-wax. It’s a linseed-turpentine-beeswax mix

Do you make hammers?

Hoss

I am delving into my first knives this week. Starting out with just stock removal on 3/16" 1084. If I get them done in time and I'm happy enough with how they turn out they'll be for Christmas presents.

So far I've got the bar stock cut out and shaped into blanks. Starting in on grinding the bevels tonight.

MDcwVI4l.jpg

I actually only need 3 for presents but had enough steel to do a 4th for practice or myself or whatever. So far I'm not very happy with the second one in from the left so that's likely the odd one out. We'll see what happens tonight. :)

Built this light weight, high power sander. VFD 3 HP, total machine weight 52.5 pounds ready to grind. Had been working on testing the frame and motor for most of 2017 then finally put the pieces all in one machine and this is what happened. Belt speeds over 7K sfpm with excess power at all belt speeds. So far it is dubbed the Heretic H1. The name is because it goes against all that was generally accepted about sander design. Everyone said it would not work, I was wasting my time. It does work extremely well. I need to find someone to do some head to head testing against their machine to see how that goes.

Back