1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by WillSwift, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Cushing H.

Cushing H. Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2019
    What happened???

2. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    New user of disc sanders, too much gap between table and disc. Glad it was a wood scale and not a piece of steel!

3. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Ouch!!! Buffer mishap? Grinder pinch? Overly aggressive hamster?

4. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    sorry ! :(

5. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    You kinda are obligated to tell the story. This is a request if that's what you are waiting on.

6. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    See post #9122 above. Not much else I can add other than, "dang, that happened fast!".

john april likes this.
  7. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Are rest tool on your disk sander grinded like chisel from bottom side where I draw that red line ?
    [​IMG]

8. DanF

Apr 17, 2017
    Yes, it is as you have drawn. I simply did not have the rest close enough to the disk and when the scale's thickness matched the gap, it bit me. lesson learned for sure!

9. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    I use a disc A LOT. Not sure where my table is. Hope all is healing well.

DanF likes this.
  10. jwccustom57

jwccustom57 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 13, 2017
    Next up a pretty big 14" recurve fighter style in 52100 with stainless/brass guard and padauk with wenge frame handle. The clip is near sharp. It's coming together but a long ways to go.

wip1.JPG

milkbaby, Natlek, john april and 5 others like this.
  11. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78

Sep 21, 2013
    Loving using locktite 324. Speedy which is great for a guy like me who steals an hour here and there for knife making.

Mistman68 and AVigil like this.
  12. Carterwhopkins

Carterwhopkins KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 12, 2012
    Wow, sorry to hear about your accident...it strikes close to home.

I use a 12" Jet disc sander daily, I have never been hurt, but I have had a rag and several work pieces go through that gap....it can be a seriously dangerous machine. In my shop it is #3 after a bandsaw with a 1" carbide resaw blade and a buffer....actually, the sander is probably more dangerous than the buffer, but my concentration level is a little higher with the buffer.

DanF likes this.
  13. Alex Topfer

Alex Topfer

May 1, 2019
    I'm working on a little 2.5mm thick, 8cm blade paring knife, and i'm wondering if it needs a distal taper? It seems unnecessary to me, the balance point will be in the handle and it's thin, but I'm not sure. Any advice?

14. mknife

mknife KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 3, 2006
    Dan, really sorry! I hope you recover well and quickly!

DanF likes this.
  15. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Can you imagine this ? I have a friend who has some automatic machines / I don t know name of that things / which can make large series of small steel parts from max. 16mm Dia steel rods ...say tings like pivot for folder knife .Once you make set up they will make thousands .....he give to me lot of different size rods from 304 stainless , most are left over long about 4 inch .... how in the name of God I pick up wrong one ????? I check all of them and all rods are stainless , except this one ?? And I used that one as pin which is some carbon tool steel for bolster on this knife ???? Lucky me :D Now what ? Pin was pinned , have lot of notch ...hole for pin in bolster is heavily tapered and glued .............:mad:
    When I glue scale I use long pins , when the epoxy dries I use hammer and they go out .Then I shape handle as I want , make some taper in hole on scale where pins go and then I pinned them ......
    [​IMG]
    Little more sanding on handle and I was done ......with rusty pin !
    [​IMG]
    PS . Carbon scale are made with phenolic resin...when wet they are like Micarta ...not like plastic . I like them !

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  16. Brian Stucker

Brian Stucker Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2016
    I ran water to my shop and put in a mini hot water heater.

Attached Files:

Scaniaman and bike4fun919 like this.
  17. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    I prefer to sand thin things in the horizontal position.

I made my grinder able to grind vertical and horizontal positions.

[​IMG]

18. Coy Ranch

Coy Ranch

Aug 23, 2017

You can send that to me and never think about it again!

Natlek likes this.
  19. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    WIP

Got some time yesterday to shape handle and guard on this blade. Redwood burl taken to 800 grit and then treated with an organic oilwax. Yet to dry properly and get a light buffing. The photo doesn't really do the wood justice, IRL the burl pattern almost looks three dimensional. This is the best part of knifemaking, when you put that oil on the wood and the pattern comes out after all that work?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  20. Alex Topfer

Alex Topfer

May 1, 2019
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chefs knife
    The handle is beefwood. I'm really impressed by it, it almost looks woven.
    Blade is pretty bog standard W2 ~62rc