What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Continuing on my 6" A8 Mod "survival". Free hand with machine user finish, Gator A45 --> P400 cork. Convex geometry.
hEhjtZA.jpg

A while ago I found out about the Opera da Bartolomeo Scappi, and the famous illustration of knives.
EOaGvyLWkAUJVgX.jpg

I've had a go at making a couple of knives inspired by these. This is my second attempt.
I interpreted the drawing as a cleaver type blade, but with a finer tip for slicing. Obviously some of the details are different: my understanding is that craftspeople at this time worked more to a general pattern rather than making precise copies, so i decided to tweak small details.
Blade is 5160 with a forced patina, handle is red gum and brass. There are a bunch of little flaws because i was trying forging and finishing techniques, but overall it seems ok.

U9OXtGr.jpeg

A fine BF member picked up one of my Wharncliffes recently and immediately asked for a stainless version, then pointed me toward camo micarta for the scales and away we go! This will go out in a couple of days:21-21 2.jpg 21-21 6.jpg

On a lighter note it's time for my annual outing at an off road event where I'll have a table so I came up with this little sign, knowing it will be ignored I will have bandaids at the ready:dos_equis_man meme.jpeg

Need some feedback on my karambit design. I made this one for myself and I don't plan on making a lot of these, but if I do make more, I'd like to know what I can improve. I am rather proud of the design as it is and I spent a loot of time designing it, but a karambit is a notoriously difficult design to do well, so I am always looking for criticism.

The blade is 80CrV2 with a very think blade stock of just over 5mm. I'd probably make it thinner next time, but I wanted to have a really sturdy tip. It is flat ground and double edged, though if I were to make another one I'd hollow grind the top edge, since the edge is rather thick on this one due to the thick blade stock....it's plenty sharp as it is now, but a hollow would have produced a finer edge I think. Though producing a fine, thin edge wasn't my primary goal on this anyway. This is not supposed to be an all purpose EDC knife, it was designed with a specific purpose in mind.

bQf2hU.jpg

osdnHM.jpg

VaEsf5.jpg

C&C very welcome.

Oh, one last thing. I like to make most of my sheaths in leather, though I still couldn't figure out how I'd do that on this knife. Am I bound to go with kydex? I am not opposed to using kydex generally, I just normally prefer leather.

A while ago I found out about the Opera da Bartolomeo Scappi, and the famous illustration of knives.
EOaGvyLWkAUJVgX.jpg

I've had a go at making a couple of knives inspired by these. This is my second attempt.
I interpreted the drawing as a cleaver type blade, but with a finer tip for slicing. Obviously some of the details are different: my understanding is that craftspeople at this time worked more to a general pattern rather than making precise copies, so i decided to tweak small details.
Blade is 5160 with a forced patina, handle is red gum and brass. There are a bunch of little flaws because i was trying forging and finishing techniques, but overall it seems ok.

U9OXtGr.jpeg
When i see old picture like this one i think that we reinventing the wheel :D next time when someone start thread to accuse someone about coping design .............i will use this picture :p
Nice knife , look scary:)

The chippy ceracoat was a bummer but the engraving that barely scratched the steel has been pissing me off for way too long...damn it's tight though in some spots, ground my tiniest chisel yet and decided to take a crack at it.

20210304_204413~2.jpg 20210304_215928.jpg

Back