What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Need some feedback on my karambit design. I made this one for myself and I don't plan on making a lot of these, but if I do make more, I'd like to know what I can improve. I am rather proud of the design as it is and I spent a loot of time designing it, but a karambit is a notoriously difficult design to do well, so I am always looking for criticism.

The blade is 80CrV2 with a very think blade stock of just over 5mm. I'd probably make it thinner next time, but I wanted to have a really sturdy tip. It is flat ground and double edged, though if I were to make another one I'd hollow grind the top edge, since the edge is rather thick on this one due to the thick blade stock....it's plenty sharp as it is now, but a hollow would have produced a finer edge I think. Though producing a fine, thin edge wasn't my primary goal on this anyway. This is not supposed to be an all purpose EDC knife, it was designed with a specific purpose in mind.

bQf2hU.jpg

osdnHM.jpg

VaEsf5.jpg

C&C very welcome.

Oh, one last thing. I like to make most of my sheaths in leather, though I still couldn't figure out how I'd do that on this knife. Am I bound to go with kydex? I am not opposed to using kydex generally, I just normally prefer leather.

That is a stunning Karambit. I know that Red Beard Ops worked with a leather maker for his channel when he started with making leather sheaths. You may want to send him a PM here. @J. Keeton

Trying a Sgian Dubh out of 3V.
I must make a lot of large knives as it felt strange to grind a 3" bevel.
Most of the blade is on the belt at any time and I had it roughed out in about 5 minutes.
I did a basic filework pattern that turned out pretty well. I don't think I've done any before.
The blade is out for heat treat so I tackled a pommel with coin inset.
I ordered a crown bezel, but it turned out to be flimsy and too small and would have needed soldering anyway.
I went to work with files and a chunk of nickel silver to make an integral.
I got the spokes hammered to trap the coin securely, it just needs a bit of shaping and polishing.
Threading the pommel and spinning in a hand drill while touching it to the belt grinder works great.
(I'll have to use that to make the pommel nut on my F-S dagger)
I have a piece of African Blackwood for the sheath and handle...
n3i0y25.jpg

ZqTKWbz.jpg

iOv6GtP.jpg

The wife and I took a recent trip to NM to look at a horse. 12 hours over and 12 hours back the next day after spending 3.5 hours deciding on which horse to buy. Our daughter came up and house sat for us while we gone. She cut out over 80 blade blanks on the bandsaw while we were gone. After we got back she came back up for a day to profile the blades. She'd previously cut some more out so there was about 110 to profile. Turned out to be a bitterly cold day here in the mountains. High in the upper 30s with a 30 mph wind blowing. It was COLD! Mom was telling her she didn't have to work in that kind of cold (we do pay her), she replied "I ain't no bi...!" She cowboygirled up and got er done! Her normal attire in the ER:

yjB3fXD.jpg

When we need help on the ranch:

mCygTyQ.jpg

Profiling blades:

5Pbr65N.jpg

9qttduT.jpg

uRYaJXV.jpg

xXrHPMe.jpg

She got about 40 done on that day. She came back up the next week when it was still cold but not that cold and finished the rest.

I spent the weekend setting up my "shop". I recently got a Small Drill Press, Portable Band Saw with Swag Table and a 1x30 belt grinder. I built an extension to my work table so I can set up a work flow and placed all my new equipment so they can be used easily. I'm very excited about this as I've always wanted to have a little workshop. Although I've welded in the past, I'm looking at getting a small beginner welder to complete my set-up. I still have a little tweaking to do, but can now start my knife making in earnest.

Productive couple of days, some design work for my first commisions, and my first stainless heat treat.
Nitro V pre heated for 20 at 930c then austenitized at 1065c. Currently cooling off in a dry ice bath. It got hard and other than that not really sure what to expect with stainless, so will count it as a win.

I have 2 commissions, I would appreciate design feedback from all on here. Little bit apprehensive at the thought of a stranger paying me their hard earned money for one of my knives! Keeping them fairly simple and focusing on delivering a nicely finished product. A single chefs and a set of 3.

Both seem happy with the sketches so far, but I would appreciate a second opinion(or third or fourth). One has asked that I send the sketch as well(the set of 3), its pretty rough and is on graph paper, I can re sketch and send no problem, but thats all just more time. Has anyone here had similar?

UJAnHEu.jpg

9fWH7lK.jpg

3IzJoMU.jpg

Productive couple of days, some design work for my first commisions, and my first stainless heat treat.
Nitro V pre heated for 20 at 930c then austenitized at 1065c. Currently cooling off in a dry ice bath. It got hard and other than that not really sure what to expect with stainless, so will count it as a win.

I have 2 commissions, I would appreciate design feedback from all on here. Little bit apprehensive at the thought of a stranger paying me their hard earned money for one of my knives! Keeping them fairly simple and focusing on delivering a nicely finished product. A single chefs and a set of 3.

Both seem happy with the sketches so far, but I would appreciate a second opinion(or third or fourth). One has asked that I send the sketch as well(the set of 3), its pretty rough and is on graph paper, I can re sketch and send no problem, but thats all just more time. Has anyone here had similar?

UJAnHEu.jpg

9fWH7lK.jpg

3IzJoMU.jpg

Nice designs. I have a similar trio sketched for the future. For me nr 1 and nr 2 are too similar in size. I would do the petty a tad shorter and not so wide, but it depends on what your customer wants. For a home chef it would also be nice to do a pairing knife, a chef in the size of your nr 2 knife and then a Nakiri instead of the large chef. It's a matter of taste/preference though. I like the style!

UJAnHEu.jpg

9fWH7lK.jpg

3IzJoMU.jpg

I like the design a lot!!

I'm not sure how comfortable the blank will be where the index finger rests. That concave area there by the ricasso on the blade may pinch. I'd have to hold it to be sure.

A little more "knuckle clearance" on the smallest one? Ie the handle a little less beefy?
Yeah I was thinking the same, bit of a catch 22 as the guy has big hands and wants an oversize handle. Will profile it out and play with it on the board to get a feel

I like the design a lot!!

I'm not sure how comfortable the blank will be where the index finger rests. That concave area there by the ricasso on the blade may pinch. I'd have to hold it to be sure.
Yeah definatley. It will get a larger radius and more relief when my small wheel attachment arrives

Still working on getting my bevel right, before I think about glue up and sharpening. I do need to tone down my OCD though. Every time I get the bevel a certain way, I look at it and..."I think it needs just a little more work..." I got my scales drilled, the pins cut and the rough shape of the scales cut out on the band saw. Now to shape the ends of the scales by the blade, get the bevel done and polished a bit, and glue up time!

Back