What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

I had a little breakthrough today. It may not seem like much, but to me, I solved a problem that really bothered me. I hated how my plunge line came out on my first knife. And my second was going down the same road. Using a chainsaw file to start it off, and I really wasn't satisfied with how it looked. I had recently bought a small rectangle file, so I went back, and squared off the plunge line a bit, then filed in the choil. This was all right before I really started putting the bevels in, by hand. And...PRESTO! Exactly the vision I had in my head of what I wanted the start of my plunge line to look like. Once I get the bevels in, I'll take some pics and put them up. For now, I'm patting myself on the back a little, LOL.

Recent work
Vegetable cleaver
Boning knife
Gyuto

vphdJmL.jpg

aJx2nPS.jpg

rPEsvvg.mp4

That cleaver is AWESOME. Can't see the 3rd pic.

Third pic is actually a video of this

naa1a3d.jpg
What kind of steel did you use in the San Mai? And what did you use to etch it? I love the contrast you ended up with. How's the durability of the contrast under real world use (like a gyuto should see every day, not just sit on a shelf)?

What kind of steel did you use in the San Mai? And what did you use to etch it? I love the contrast you ended up with. How's the durability of the contrast under real world use (like a gyuto should see every day, not just sit on a shelf)?
This is pre laminated steel. Hitachi white core and 410 stainless cladding.

ferric chloride 3:1 ratio so it’s diluted.

the core is high carbon steel so it patinas with the almost the same contrast by natural use.

i’m not exactly sure how the etching lasts and frankly I don’t really care for it, but customers like it so I give them what they want

the boning knife posted earlier is the same steel without etching.

I like the look of that cleaver. What type of grind does it have?
Nothing special just flat to convex.
It’s not suitable for all things as there is a wide surface area for food to stick

The customer intends to use it for just specific things

The challenge on this was to stay within the total weight range and hit the balance point he wanted

My experience with stainless clad San mai has been that the etch contrast improves with use. A nice dark patina makes for great contrast with the clean stainless

Nothing special just flat to convex.
It’s not suitable for all things as there is a wide surface area for food to stick

The customer intends to use it for just specific things

The challenge on this was to stay within the total weight range and hit the balance point he wanted
Thank you. I have some 4" wide, 3/32" thick material that I want to try to make a chuka bocho with. My plan is to make a radius platen to try an S-grind for weight reduction and food release. I've been putting it off because I don't really know exactly how to do any of this. Seeing your knife has given me some motivation to get startet with a flat+convex grind and worry about the radius platen later.

Dust collector??? you do not HAVE any dust in your shop. Never seen anyt. I doubt you even generate any when you are grinding or sanding.... :)

LoL, that grinding bench is brand new built for this machine so probably even cleaner than usual! But yeah, I have a poor habit of keeping the shop clean..

Back