What's that you're eating?

Had some Beef & Broccoli at a Chinese restaurant about 10 days ago and made some myself at home a couple of days ago:

pbbBHJy.jpg

Liked mine better. :cool:

Made some Stuffed Bitter Melon w/Black Bean & Mushroom Sauce a couple of weeks ago (sorry, no pics of that but I've posted pics of the same dish before) and had some sauce left over.

So, I added some stir fried velveted Chicken to the Black Bean & Mushroom Sauce to make a different dish with it for lunch today:

eR4MCei.jpg

Planning to make some Pig Tail & Black Bean Soup and some Corned Beef in the coming week.

Last edited:
My wife did make an authentic Chinese fried rice (Grandma's recipe from China) on Sunday for a pot luck. Doing a large batch on a griddle is so much easier than in the house.

eQ0l6ke.jpeg

I'm sure it tasted good but personally I never eat or make "fried rice."

I'm sure that you know that "fried rice" was originally created as a dish to make use of leftovers and not intended as a primary Chinese menu offering. That it is so offered, is indeed a "Chinese-American" restaurant adaptation but, then again, not necessarily as "good thing" IMO. 🤷‍♂️

I'm not too much of a purist. I'm 100% ethnic Chinese, but both my parents were born in Vietnam. My mom's side was in Vietnam for a few generations. My dad's side is from Guangzhou and escaped when the Japanese invaded.

My wife is from Taishan, so we end up making a bunch of different dishes. Most of the Chinese dishes are ones that my Grandmother learned when she was little in China.

I'm not too much of a purist. I'm 100% ethnic Chinese, but both my parents were born in Vietnam. My mom's side was in Vietnam for a few generations. My dad's side is from Guangzhou and escaped when the Japanese invaded.

My wife is from Taishan, so we end up making a bunch of different dishes. Most of the Chinese dishes are ones that my Grandmother learned when she was little in China.

Sorry to come off that way but I'm 100% Chinese (3rd Gen USA born but from Toishan by heritage) too and my mother and father (who was a professional sous chef) never made fried rice at home. We just ate leftovers reheated over freshly steamed rice. 🤷‍♂️

Fried rice actually tastes very good, which is why I think white folks like it and why it's offered on Chinese American menus but it's never been an item served at any Chinese banquet that I've attended in the 73 yrs of my life.

Doesn't mean you can't eat what you like. Please enjoy your fried rice.

Last edited:
No worries. I came to the U.S. when I was 2, so, I'm not really too traditional. Which is why my wife calls me a banana*. The good thing is that I understand Cantonese, so she can't talk behind my back. 😆

*"Yellow on the outside, white on the inside" for all those who don't know Asian slang.

Last edited:
I am... not Chinese, nor is my wife, but she makes awesome fried rice. It's a great way to use up leftover rice that is otherwise dried out. She will fry it up with chicken, spices, and chopped veggies. Really good with some sort of sweet and spicy sauce.

I have never assumed it was an ethnic dish though. Not being knowledgeable of authentic Chinese cuisine, I don't speculate if I can help it.

Sorry to come off that way but I'm 100% Chinese (from Toishan) too and my mother and father (who was a professional sous chef) never made fried rice at home. We just ate leftovers reheated over freshly steamed rice. 🤷‍♂️

Fried rice actually tastes very good, which is why I think white folks like it and why it's offered on Chinese American menus but it's never been an item served at any Chinese banquet that I've attended in the 73 yrs of my life.

My mom is 100% German-Texan, but she made us chop-suey for supper all the time and we loved it. I'm sure "authentic" isn't an accurate term, but is chop-suey more culturally appropriate? As in, leftovers and odds and ends being pan fried and served over steamed rice (chop suey) are more common in Chinese households than fried rice?

Mmmmm…you guys have got me wanting some Asian-fusion fried rice now! We have zero ancestry from Asia but we always enjoy the tasty little Pacific Northwest/Asian-fusion pub-food creations around here. I saw that the wife ordered some imported Chinese oyster sauce so maybe she’s planning something.

Went out for steaks last night to celebrate the end of two back-to-back twelve-day stretches. The wife got her appetite back, ordered a ribeye, and I have to say they absolutely nailed it. Better than I’d have made at home. They overcooked my flank steak a bit but I was mainly just curious to try their “cornbread pudding” anyway. Fried portobello mushroom and yam fries. They add curry to their katsup and it was shockingly addictive.

The wife made flatbread just now and we’re snacking it with butter while the Spanish rice simmers. She’s using leftover chicken thighs from a few days ago and some beautiful vine tomatoes that are almost too ripe.

Went grocery shopping earlier with expectations of cooking a good dinner of steak, roasted tomatoes, broccoli, and baked potatoes. Got lazy, and decided a cheese plate was the answer for tonight. Hope everyone has a good Saturday night.

View attachment 2524585

Food related, I also have 60 eggs currently in the freeze dryer for long term storage use. Delicious scrambled eggs on demand, with a shelf life measured in years/decades.

View attachment 2524596

View attachment 2524600

View attachment 2524597

View attachment 2524598

Mmmmm…you guys have got me wanting some Asian-fusion fried rice now! We have zero ancestry from Asia but we always enjoy the tasty little Pacific Northwest/Asian-fusion pub-food creations around here. I saw that the wife ordered some imported Chinese oyster sauce so maybe she’s planning something.

Went out for steaks last night to celebrate the end of two back-to-back twelve-day stretches. The wife got her appetite back, ordered a ribeye, and I have to say they absolutely nailed it. Better than I’d have made at home. They overcooked my flank steak a bit but I was mainly just curious to try their “cornbread pudding” anyway. Fried portobello mushroom and yam fries. They add curry to their katsup and it was shockingly addictive.

The wife made flatbread just now and we’re snacking it with butter while the Spanish rice simmers. She’s using leftover chicken thighs from a few days ago and some beautiful vine tomatoes that are almost too ripe.

Any additional info you can share on that side dish with your flank steak(not the broccoli)? Looks delicious, would love to try and recreate something similar. Great looking dinner all around.

Any additional info you can share on that side dish with your flank steak(not the broccoli)? Looks delicious, would love to try and recreate something similar. Great looking dinner all around.

Thanks! It was interesting! The entire dish had some unconventional flavors going on. The cornbread pudding was a little sweet and a little savory and had the consistency of quiche, but I genuinely couldn’t tell what was in it. The steak was cooked on a grill and tasted of chipotle sauce. The chutney that was served on the steak involved red onion, some kind of dried fruit-maybe cranberry-and strong vinegar flavors. Not sure if I’ve described it accurately but those were my impressions. This was at Anthony’s Home Port Hearthfire. Basically an Anthony’s that has a kitchen outfitted with stone hearth cooking equipment by WoodStone Corp-my last place of employment for eleven years.

Here’s the first recipe that came up on my Google search. I’ll see if I can interest the wife in trying it out one of these days. She loves cornbread!

Last edited:
Sorry to come off that way but I'm 100% Chinese (3rd Gen USA born but from Toishan by heritage) too and my mother and father (who was a professional sous chef) never made fried rice at home. We just ate leftovers reheated over freshly steamed rice. 🤷‍♂️

I have no more heritage left - I am 100% Eastern European Jew by DNA, but a firm believer in Christ; so I keep getting told I’m no longer Jewish. But I’m pretty sure my DNA is the same 😂

And yes, I bought two more boxes of Matzoh today when shopping with my wife, for noshing on…

So this Rabbi, a Mohel, and an Alligator walk into a bar... 🤣

The Mohel offers the bartender a free circumcision in exchange for a drink, and the Rabbi offers a free prayer for healing afterwards if he can have a drink; but the Alligator eats everyone except the bartender and says, “keep the tip, now where's my beer?" :eek:

Back