Off Topic whats your buyers remorse?

Got into folding knives just a few months ago. I fell in love with the high quality, miniaturized, engineering. So I wanted to "buy one of everything". A flipper, thumb studs, axis-lock, liner lock.....and on, and on. In the process, I saw the Opinel listed on a lot of "best of" lists. So, I bought one to see where the "love" was coming from.

Most useless piece of equipment for anyone interested in miniaturized engineering. :) I really have no use or interest in it...

On the plus side, if you are going to have regrets, that's a pretty inexpensive mistake. :p

CRKT M16
Crappy steel and likely heat treatment. Nylon washer got dirt in it and opening became gritty, the detent failed and opened in my pocket. I cut my hand badly going into my pocket for my keys.
Threw it in the trash........
Never buy another CRKT knife again.

+1.

Mine was also the CRKT M16-M4. The liner lock was never right and it would close as easy as a slip joint.

I'm a cheap bastard though, so when I found it a couple of weeks ago (it had been packed away in some old boxes for 10+ years), I mailed it to CRKT for fixing under their lifetime warranty. They promptly....lost it. Yup, it was delivered successfully, they just don't know what happened to it. They told me to pick something out off their website up to 100 bucks and they would send it to me.

I chose an M4-02W. It's a kind of chunky, classy assisted opening folder. The wood scales are most certainly not actual "burl wood" and look nothing like the pics on their website in grain, texture or color. Other than that, its a decent looking knife, I guess. It sells for about 55 bucks online, so I kind of got shafted by their MSRP pricing on this "warranty replacement" up to "100 dollar value", but I couldn't find much else that I actually liked on their website. Not even sure I'll keep it, honestly. I have too many knives already...

Buying several Schrade fixed blades designed by Brian Griffin only to find out later they shafted him as the designer.

It was especially crappy since I bought multiples of several models to support Brian.

The new owners of Schrade have destroyed the brand, and will never earn my business or support.

This is exactly where I'm at, for the exact same reason.

Most of my buyer's remorse has been getting them and they are not what I hoped for. Biggest disappointment was after reading so many positive reviews on Great Eastern Cutlery I ordered a #66 and although the fit and finish was top notch the back spring was so stiff I could barely open it without breaking a nail. I flipped it for just a small loss and never looked at them again. Same reason I stopped buying the traditional Case models. I will just never use a knife that much to put up with breaking in a back spring.

Rather sad, when you consider that five seconds of oiling and working the joint would have almost certainly cured that perceived issue.

I have been collecting for years and years... now I am unintentionally 'retired' and selling off my collection for bills...

Seeing so many knives I "HAD TO HAVE" when I was flush with funds, that are now not even worth half what I paid for...

so, yeah, buyer's remorse is something that can sneak up on you years after a purchase...

so, "live and don't learn" is my motto... sadly so...

I regret buying this one:

20201012_115448.jpg

Chipped serrated edge on plastic.
20201012_115436.jpg

Has this dumb safety in addition to an aggressively jimped liner lock.
20201012_115409.jpg 20201012_120001.jpg

It seems like a really small blade (3.25") but is huge and pokey in the pocket.

Stupid.

Yeah yeah I bought it.
20201012_115337.jpg

Attachments

• 20201012_115448.jpg
    20201012_115448.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20201012_115337.jpg
    20201012_115337.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1
Fallkniven F1x.

I initially liked it a lot actually. Being a true full tang and the improved new sheath, but after some time I found the scales to be WAY to skinny and the overal grip was pretty bad. Had to let it go.

The recent complaints on the FK customer service also threw me off. I like my A1(original) and I will hold on to it for now, but I don't see any FK knives in my future anytime soon.

I buy, sell and trade a lot. For me the worst are knives that tank in value the minute you order them. The two that stand out are Medford and Olamic. Love the knives, but you can basically cut the value in half once you click "confirm order". I'll be sticking to the secondary market when it comes to those two from now on. Again, no problem with the quality of the knives themselves, even for the price. The problem is with my addiction to trading knives.

Don’t feel bad. I sold mine also. The tip is too thin for me

Hello Dc,

As much as I want to love the knife, the blade to handle ratio drives me nuts. I don't have enough blade to cut a large burger cleanly in half without getting gunk in the pivot, haha.
I've learned I don't like finger choils! I don't use them, and they make the knife larger than necessary.

And not for nothing, I don't like the compression lock. It pinches me, haha!

I am not knocking the knife at all, it just doesn't fit me!

Buyer's remorse - The Ontario Bagwell Helle's Belle copy. I wanted to love it, everyone else was, but every time I handled it, it left me cold. I could see what Bagwell was going for, but the Ontario version felt off, and a bit cheap. Cold Steel felt a million times better buildwise. I do really like the Ontario Frontiersman though, it was the Spec-Ops version withe the thin Bagwell style blade they sold for like $40.

Non-buyer's remorse - I wish I paid more attention to the Original Al Mar line, and I wish I went crazy buying up every pre 2000 Pacific Cutlery / Benchmade butterfly I saw in nice shape ;).

Of all the I've bought from different companies.......
The 3 Buck knives I bought.
Riveted together can't take them apart.
Buck can't make a flipper that really flips.
The blades are sharp as a hack saw....look like they sharpened on a garage grinder.

Next time buy the ones made in the USA.

The ones that looked good but didn't work for me. I have quite a number of them.

I believe this would describe quite a few of your posts on BF’s.

Just because you don’t agree with his opinion makes his neither false or a trolling post.

ESEE has one of the best warranties in the business. That's a verifiable fact, and to state otherwise is demonstrably false.

I concede, that doesn't necessarily make it a troll post and for that I apologize, sir.

However, are you going to start bringing inconsequential beef from W&C into the General Discussion forum? Because that seems mighty petty, especially for a staff member, sir.

Last edited:
Back