Off Topic whats your buyers remorse?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jake Dawson, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Weiss

Weiss

Jan 3, 2007
    Stedemon ZKC-BP02.

2. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016
    I regret the knife I bought my ex.

Lee D, NINJIOM, PirateSeulb and 6 others like this.
  3. TiCKed

TiCKed

Sep 29, 2020
    Got into folding knives just a few months ago. I fell in love with the high quality, miniaturized, engineering. So I wanted to "buy one of everything". A flipper, thumb studs, axis-lock, liner lock.....and on, and on. In the process, I saw the Opinel listed on a lot of "best of" lists. So, I bought one to see where the "love" was coming from.

Most useless piece of equipment for anyone interested in miniaturized engineering. :) I really have no use or interest in it...

On the plus side, if you are going to have regrets, that's a pretty inexpensive mistake. :p

4. Sirgilbert357

Sirgilbert357

Oct 1, 2020
    +1.

Mine was also the CRKT M16-M4. The liner lock was never right and it would close as easy as a slip joint.

I'm a cheap bastard though, so when I found it a couple of weeks ago (it had been packed away in some old boxes for 10+ years), I mailed it to CRKT for fixing under their lifetime warranty. They promptly....lost it. Yup, it was delivered successfully, they just don't know what happened to it. They told me to pick something out off their website up to 100 bucks and they would send it to me.

I chose an M4-02W. It's a kind of chunky, classy assisted opening folder. The wood scales are most certainly not actual "burl wood" and look nothing like the pics on their website in grain, texture or color. Other than that, its a decent looking knife, I guess. It sells for about 55 bucks online, so I kind of got shafted by their MSRP pricing on this "warranty replacement" up to "100 dollar value", but I couldn't find much else that I actually liked on their website. Not even sure I'll keep it, honestly. I have too many knives already...

5. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    This is exactly where I'm at, for the exact same reason.

danbot and MolokaiRider like this.
  6. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Rather sad, when you consider that five seconds of oiling and working the joint would have almost certainly cured that perceived issue.

bigsurbob likes this.
  7. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I have been collecting for years and years... now I am unintentionally 'retired' and selling off my collection for bills...

Seeing so many knives I "HAD TO HAVE" when I was flush with funds, that are now not even worth half what I paid for...

so, yeah, buyer's remorse is something that can sneak up on you years after a purchase...

so, "live and don't learn" is my motto... sadly so...

Skar and bigsurbob like this.
  8. bigsurbob

bigsurbob Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2016
    I regret buying this one:

20201012_115448.jpg

Chipped serrated edge on plastic.
    20201012_115436.jpg

Has this dumb safety in addition to an aggressively jimped liner lock.
    20201012_115409.jpg 20201012_120001.jpg

It seems like a really small blade (3.25") but is huge and pokey in the pocket.

Stupid.

Yeah yeah I bought it.
    20201012_115337.jpg

Attached Files:

Skar, spoonrobot and Wurger190 like this.
  9. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Fallkniven F1x.

I initially liked it a lot actually. Being a true full tang and the improved new sheath, but after some time I found the scales to be WAY to skinny and the overal grip was pretty bad. Had to let it go.

The recent complaints on the FK customer service also threw me off. I like my A1(original) and I will hold on to it for now, but I don't see any FK knives in my future anytime soon.

bigsurbob likes this.
  10. kylemiller

kylemiller Basic Member Basic Member

May 18, 2016
    I buy, sell and trade a lot. For me the worst are knives that tank in value the minute you order them. The two that stand out are Medford and Olamic. Love the knives, but you can basically cut the value in half once you click "confirm order". I'll be sticking to the secondary market when it comes to those two from now on. Again, no problem with the quality of the knives themselves, even for the price. The problem is with my addiction to trading knives.

Pharmagator likes this.
  11. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    Please don't stone me, but my buyer's remorse is my Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

12. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    Don’t feel bad. I sold mine also. The tip is too thin for me

Billy The Hungry likes this.
  13. Billy The Hungry

Billy The Hungry

Aug 11, 2020
    Hello Dc,

As much as I want to love the knife, the blade to handle ratio drives me nuts. I don't have enough blade to cut a large burger cleanly in half without getting gunk in the pivot, haha.
    I've learned I don't like finger choils! I don't use them, and they make the knife larger than necessary.

And not for nothing, I don't like the compression lock. It pinches me, haha!

I am not knocking the knife at all, it just doesn't fit me!

Grateful and Dcdavis like this.
  14. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    Buyer's remorse - The Ontario Bagwell Helle's Belle copy. I wanted to love it, everyone else was, but every time I handled it, it left me cold. I could see what Bagwell was going for, but the Ontario version felt off, and a bit cheap. Cold Steel felt a million times better buildwise. I do really like the Ontario Frontiersman though, it was the Spec-Ops version withe the thin Bagwell style blade they sold for like $40.

Non-buyer's remorse - I wish I paid more attention to the Original Al Mar line, and I wish I went crazy buying up every pre 2000 Pacific Cutlery / Benchmade butterfly I saw in nice shape ;).

15. E.D.C.

E.D.C. Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016

Demonstrably false.

Obvious troll post.

16. E.D.C.

Nov 7, 2016

Next time buy the ones made in the USA.

17. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    danbot, bigsurbob and Cursum Perficio like this.
  18. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    I believe this would describe quite a few of your posts on BF’s.

Just because you don’t agree with his opinion makes his neither false or a trolling post.

19. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    The ones that looked good but didn't work for me. I have quite a number of them.

20. E.D.C.

Nov 7, 2016
    ESEE has one of the best warranties in the business. That's a verifiable fact, and to state otherwise is demonstrably false.

I concede, that doesn't necessarily make it a troll post and for that I apologize, sir.

However, are you going to start bringing inconsequential beef from W&C into the General Discussion forum? Because that seems mighty petty, especially for a staff member, sir.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020