Which sword for the untrained?

Frankly, why not just get/make a "garrote" or similarly shaped wooden stick/club?
oval handles and flared, oval end making it fairly easy to control as well as having a small impact area.

After all, knocking the guy out is PROBABLY a whole lot quicker than waiting for him to bleed to death, even from a severed limb (traumatic as that would be).

And of course, lots of OTHER options.

Oh, and as a general recommendation (not re: self-defense) - consider some of the baselard or long daggers from the various sword companies, or even better, Albion, Arms&Armor, Angus Trim, and Michael "Tinker" Pearce.
A fairly inexpensive option I've been looking at are the short swords (and one-handed) from Kris Cutlery. Though not equal in terms of F+F and balance, etc - they are known for being quite functional and sturdy.

Triton can probably talk a lot more about WMA swords, so, if he doesn't mind, ask some more questions and check out Swordforum.com and Netsword.com

Last edited:
And bear hunters pack a big ass knife "just in case" I guess they're "delusional" too :eek:

As stated in my previous post, large knife = good. Full blown sword = bad. I should have perhaps been a little more specific, however, in that a VERY short sword is acceptable, but should not have an overly large guard that could prevent you from making proper contact against the hide of an animal at close range. A German katzbalger sword would probably be ideal for your purposes. However, if you're planning on actually relying on your sword for protection, might I suggest something from Angus Trim's tactical series? The man is a genius with more traditional styles, but his tactical series more meets the criteria your situation would require in order to make the sword a streamlined backup.

Click

Just be sure to read the home page. ;)

Edit to add: Also check out the Condor "Combat Machete" It's a lot like a gladius, and very high quality in spite of its very low cost.

Last edited:
What if you are attacked by a male sea lion when you are walking on a beach? It will be great to be able to fend it off with some effective tool.

What if you are attacked by a male sea lion when you are walking on a beach? It will be great to be able to fend it off with some effective tool.
Assuming that an average 180-250 lb male in good physical condition can ward off 500-800 lbs of angry male sea lion with any SORT of weapon...
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sea-Lion-Attacks-on-Humans-41338.shtml

In those cases, a harpoon and being REALLY far away would probably be best ;). That or running away while BEING REALLY FAR AWAY.

You really wouldn't want a rapier. They're less instinctive to use as compared to a cutting sword and while they tend to be more lethal they also don't kill as fast or disable nearly as badly. They were a civilian defensive item that was suitable mostly for use against other rapiers, hence why you didn't find them in military usage. Larger swords don't necessarily require more technique to use, but rather you simply need to be more aware of your blade so that you don't get bound up by its length. However, that length is a significant advantage since it gives you a greater "area of attack" than an opponent with a shorter blade, thus enabling you to strike them without being at risk yourself.

Now, in terms of carrying and using a blade against dogs, I would have to recommend something a bit smaller than a typical sword. A very large knife would be ideal, as it is more portable and works better at the closer range that you would ultimately be facing. Remember--a polearm for the open field, but a knife for a telephone booth. ;)

A pack of dogs, if they so choose to attack, are going to quickly get closer than the range at which a sword is very effective. They'll be all over you in the blink of an eye and you're going to need something that's still usable in a grappling-type situation.

Once again, swords are for people. They work great on people. But not so great on animals, which is why the only swords meant for hunting were for dispatching collapsed and already wounded game.

Very true, i forgot about the disabaling effect of a hacking type sword over a rapier.
I guess i was just thinking rapier for smaller areas like bedrooms and hallways where you might not be able to swing.

Would a pack of dogs always just rush you or would they sometimes stand out of arms reach ready to attack? Well i suppose if they are doing that they might not be wanting to fight but just trying to win by intimidating you.

The length of a rapier would be a significant disadvantage in close quarters. For that you would want a smallsword, the later development thereof.

Most dogs, if serious about attacking you, aren't going to give you much warning. They're going to go for the throat. If it/they are at a distance and growling then your best bet is to make yourself as large and imposing-looking as possible. But be ready to hack-n-slash at all times. Dogs are faster than you might think. ;)

The sword I'm eyeing is a copy of the Greek solider's sword,22 inch blade,fair sized guard,blade is about 2 1/4 wide good cutter or sticker.

I'm about six feet tall so a 20-22 sword is really like a big knife to me,also if my gun goes "click" and I have to draw out sharp steel my instinct is to grab a branch or other handy object and use it in place of a shield (I have yet to carry one of those,I might though if I can find a stainless or titainum buckler :p)

And I want to point out that our kin of old made due with swords against animals back in the day,remember that ;)

And I want to point out that our kin of old made due with swords against animals back in the day,remember that ;)

Mostly as a weapon for killing a wounded animal that had been first injured by spears or arrows, however. And they would have found usage at the time for defense against animals if the situation presented itself but rather because a sword was what they had with them anyway--the designs of most swords are clearly geared toward person-to-person encounters. Hunting swords exist, but no swords with evidence showing that they were intended for use against wild dogs, etc.

Any blade helps tremendously, of course, but the question is what is an appropriate balance of range, weight, and form that best suit the situation of personal defense against animals. The most important compromise here is between range for keeping the animal off you in the first place as compared to a size and style that will still help you out once that animal is on top of you.

maybe just a small shield with spikes on it? You can block a dog and stab or slash. I know not a sword but i was just thinking a shiled would be better deffense against something jumping and biting at you.

yeah...a nice Scottish targe with a spike in the middle...a dagger held in the same hand, and a nice basket-hilt...:drool: :D

I was going to suggest something like the 1917 cutlass from Cold steel.

(or better even though they discontinued it, the barong)

Sometime you have great difficulties to identify which is the peat, the sea lion or the environmentalist.

For the untrained? First get yourself a nice big kite shield with a top point that comes up to your nose and a bottom point that goes half way down your shin. Concentrate on keeping this flat in front of you. This is the most important thing because this will keep you alive.

For your other arm get yourself a Roman Gladius. Short and pointy. Forget about cutting, your not likely to make a good cut anyway, just keep the shield in front of you and stab. Short is good, because you will be able to control it better. Longer blades take more skill. A Greek Hoplite sword would be my second choice recommendation with the same idea in mind.

This combination of sword and shield will give you your best chance. It would be good if your got yourself a nasal helm too, but now we are starting to get into armor which is beyond the scope of the thread.

Last edited:
A Greek Hoplite sword

That would be a Xiphos my friend....and may i also mention that they do not look like the swords from 300 for all you wannabe swordsmen out there. They are a double edged weapon similar to the gladius in all but length.....as we like to say..the Romans always take what others do...and make it more effective. such is the story of the Xiphos conversion to the Gladius

....I'm a Historian/ancient weapons expert myself
plus an avid swordsman...no arguments please

What school/style do you do? Eastern or European? Time period?

I know you say no arguments, but forgive my skepticism of someone with only six posts to their name claiming to be an expert at anything. It's not that it's not possible, but because we haven't received your credentials. A little background would be appreciated.

What school/style do you do? Eastern or European? Time period?

I know you say no arguments, but forgive my skepticism of someone with only six posts to their name claiming to be an expert at anything. It's not that it's not possible, but because we haven't received your credentials. A little background would be appreciated.

It doesnt matter about his credentials. No archaeologist or historian or even (I'm guessing) swordsman worth their salt would say 'dont argue with me because...' They argue all the time about all sorts of stuff.

Not only that but its obvious several of his points are dead wrong.

I assume its meant to be trollish or tongue in cheek... I hope.

Clearly the words of a great ego.........

Perhaps you are and perhaps your not one thing is for sure you've started off on the wrong foot. Best to start again... ;)

Back