Who gives a hoot? I do. Let's see some White Owls

The 440c ones are available if anyone is looking. Here are American Cherry, American Elk, Dark Chestnut bone, and Walnut. There is also a short run of light chestnut bone that I don't have.
IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

Nice ones, Trand!

I got my Elk White Owl a few days ago and I just now got around to taking pics. I don't know what it is about this run of White Owls but I like this one better than I liked the Dusk Buffalo Horn White Owl that I used to have. Maybe it's the Elk covers and the 440C.

I think GEC has been doing a better job with their Elk slabs in the last few years. Many of the earlier ones had more white in them with just a few brown and black streaks. The newer ones look much better in my opinion. The colors seem more balanced and more pleasing to the eye.

I don't remember the last run having catch bits installed. (forgot to take a pic of that) Anyone know if the 2011 run of White Owls had catch bits?

IMG_2218_zpsac9083af.jpg

IMG_2219_zps37efd0f6.jpg

IMG_2217_zps73a0495d.jpg

IMG_2216_zpsdede2104.jpg

Anyone know if the 2011 run of White Owls had catch bits?

There are catch bits on the 2011 White Owls as well. But the cut swedge on the pile side is new, it used to be drawn (at least on my Tidioute).

And Trand, that Walnut model is exceptionally beautiful. Seriously, is there a GEC you don't have? :)

There are catch bits on the 2011 White Owls as well. But the cut swedge on the pile side is new, it used to be drawn (at least on my Tidioute).

And Trand, that Walnut model is exceptionally beautiful. Seriously, is there a GEC you don't have? :)

Thanks, sturzi.

I think the only GEC's that Trand doesn't have are the serial number 1's. GEC keeps those. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled one out of his hat though. :D

The pile side cut swedge (not drawn) is present on my 2011, although it's a Northfield spear blade-- inconclusive.

Yes, a new stainless White Owl in light chestnut bone. ;)

~ P.

Thanks guys!!

Rick, is it that these are lined and pinched unlike the Tidioutes? I agree about the elk as well. It looks like they've been getting better elk or grinding it down less. The mostly white ones are still out there I think but they're less common from what I've seen.

Yes, a new stainless White Owl in light chestnut bone. ;).
:D

Thanks, sturzi.

I think the only GEC's that Trand doesn't have are the serial number 1's. GEC keeps those. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled one out of his hat though. :D

No, no #1s. Although they don't always keep any if they are short runs and those are usually unserialized so maybe kinda...:cool:

Thanks guys!!

Rick, is it that these are lined and pinched unlike the Tidioutes? I agree about the elk as well. It looks like they've been getting better elk or grinding it down less. The mostly white ones are still out there I think but they're less common from what I've seen.

You know, I think that just might be it, Trand. :thumbup: I do have a fascination for lined and pinched bolsters on most knives. This one also has a much better feel to it than I remember my Tidioute having. The blade actions seem a little smoother and the closing snap is definitely stronger on this one. I like me some good snap.

I've been on the fence until I saw this thread today. The pics above sealed it. I'm ordering a White Owl in walnut. That thing is gorgeous.

I ordered my White Owl this afternoon. Mainly because I want to compare it to the canoe I just got.

Not exactly sure why but I find myself drawn more quickly to the spear blade profiles on the White Owl and the Barlow/Boy's knives than on the Canoe. I'm not sure if I like the aesthetics better or the more streamlined lines of the knife. I know I don't like how they did the top of the spear blade on the Canoe's. It is not pinchable.

I've been on the fence until I saw this thread today. The pics above sealed it. I'm ordering a White Owl in walnut. That thing is gorgeous.

Only 8 GEC White Owls produced in Walnut. Only 7 released. Good Luck to you.

I have a Northfield in cocobolo. Although, I hated the bail when I first got it. Then I got someone from UKBF to make me a wee sheath for it and the bail now seems perfect for getting purchase and recovering it from the depths of the pocket.

Hi All, here's an newer group shot, this time with the Light Chestnut WO. It hung around long enough for this pic before it went to it's new home.
IMG_3886.jpg

Beautiful knives guys. Yer tempting to me to stray from my current collecting path.....

Back