Who gives a hoot? I do. Let's see some White Owls

Nice One Trand! But I'm glad one of those Owls has flown the coop:D:cool:

Thanks, Will

So do I...but I have to buy a camera first, then, then,

So you're saying it may be a few days? ;)

-- Beautiful picture, Trand. I love being able to see the various covers next to each other in such a clear, well-lit photograph. :thumbup:

~ P.

Thanks again P :)

I'm glad you got one Will. I believe only 5 were made with the lighter bone.

How do you make the braided lanyard? You and pertinux have convinced me that a Northfield White Owl in autumn bone is going to be my next GEC, and I really like the lanyards on your knives.

I was going to post this exact reply about the braided lanyard. I just ordered the same knife because of these pictures! Will be here tomorrow and just orderd 1/4" buckskin deer lace. I would love to know how to make this braid. Anyone know?

How do you make the braided lanyard? You and pertinux have convinced me that a Northfield White Owl in autumn bone is going to be my next GEC, and I really like the lanyards on your knives.

I was going to post this exact reply about the braided lanyard. I just ordered the same knife because of these pictures! Will be here tomorrow and just orderd 1/4" buckskin deer lace. I would love to know how to make this braid. Anyone know?

I wish I'd saved my PM to Blaine, but will take a (new) crack at it. Hopefully others will chime in if they have additional helpful input.

(I found Actual Instructions® online once upon a time, but forget what this one's called. :eek: Anyone know?

The lanyard in question, on a White Owl:
lanyard.jpg~original

"Lanyard"= a roughly 8" piece of thin leather with equidistant cuts down its length:
fulllanyardopen.jpg~original

8inches.jpg~original

Close-up:
apart.jpg~original

The lanyard isn't actually braided, just "pulled through" itself via alternating slits.

So: take a thin 8" piece of leather. Leave some space in the exact middle (where the lanyard will wrap at the bail), 1 to 2", and make three small horizontal cuts equally spaced on each side.

A tip from a friend: With thin(ner) leather, which works well for this type of lanyard, it helps to lay the leather on a thick piece of card or something you can stick the end of the blade into. Stick the point of your blade through the middle of the strip, then pull the leather through the blade... (Xacto knives work well for this, but it somehow seems more appropriate to use a good, sharp pocket knife. :cool:)

Cut equal numbers of slits on either side, about a 1/2 inch cut with 3/8 inches or so of space between each cut. The measurements don't have to be exact, but consistent spacing looks better overall.

Place the leather on the bail, centered, on half on top of the other. With the leather still centered, pull the bottom strip up through the top slit closest to the bail. Now, pull the bottom strip up through the top slit closest to the bail. Now pull the bottom strip up through the next slit, etc., snugging it (or not) as you go.

The general idea, though a new one will have straighter, non-broken-in sides:
Takingapart.jpg~original

(You can also start by pushing the top strip down through the first slit. Just, whichever way you start, do it that way for each strip/slit in turn.)

Once you get started, I think you'll see how it works.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

~ P.

Nice how-to shots, ~P. Makes it very clear IMO.

Hoo hoo!!

How a collection is born!!
Lookit this old thread!!(too bad there are some pics gone) Lookit these relatively old knives.
no.68 White Owls 1.jpg
I had that barking elephant sitting in the corner of a drawer (nostalgia) and kept adding similar knives in that corner! After the Ebony joined them from Joshua's "gone away giveaway" I had to celebrate a new collection. 4 are clips, and the one spear gives tribute to the "old timey" EE design!! Now I have to find a few more!!

How a collection is born!!
Lookit this old thread!!(too bad there are some pics gone) Lookit these relatively old knives.
View attachment 1146069
I had that barking elephant sitting in the corner of a drawer (nostalgia) and kept adding similar knives in that corner! After the Ebony joined them from Joshua's "gone away giveaway" I had to celebrate a new collection. 4 are clips, and the one spear gives tribute to the "old timey" EE design!! Now I have to find a few more!!
Wonderful Charlie! Maybe you could put a bug (or a hoot) in the ear of someone who could produce another run of these beautiful knives....

Dark's OK Trav!!
What does the bail say Shawn??
I have to find one with a bail. I sold a couple in the past and have seller's remorse!!

Back