Who is the Chris Reeve of flippers?

After getting in a brand new Mini Goblin today I just wanna go ahead and renew my vote for Koenig Knives in the strongest terms.

TYmAiIy.jpg
Agreed! Koenig Mini Goblin is "King"!

There is this knife that flips from the top, weird but cool, I forget the maker. Its sleek like CRK

I've owned the Arius, Shiro and Buskers -- they're all really fine knives, great flippers and highly recommended.

The best flipper I've owned is the all-Titanium Hinderer MP-1.

I have one MP-1 with PB washers and one with the standard Hinderer nylon washers.
The PB MP-1 is as smooth a flipper as I've owned.
Except for the nylon MP-1; it's ever so slightly smoother.

The tolerances seem to be the best of any of the half-dozen Hinderers I've owned. And both MP-1s compare favorably with the smoothness of the Sebenzas and other CRK models I've owned.

The all-Titanium MP-1 is even more expensive than the Sebenza. Like the Sebenza, it's one of the very best production knives I know of.

I believe you’re thinking of the Gareth Bull Shamwari.
If you want to add front flippers to this discussion, the Shamwari may qualify. I’ve tried with no luck to get one in Gareth’s recent lotteries.

But I can vouch for the Trevor Burger EXK as an outstanding front flipper. The base model starts at $500. He also makes the larger LEXK. I have an EXK Plus with marbled carbon fiber scales and the all-Ti EXK CFL. Outstanding build quality. Best front flipping action I’ve seen. Great functional blade.

The Boos Blades Smoke is another great front flipper at a much lower price, if you can find one. Probably my favorite knife <$300.
Ya4ckHb.jpg

TGTYORW.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship CRK I buy one keep it a bit then decide I'd rather try something else so I sell it. After some time I'll get the itch and then buy another and the cycle starts over. This Mnandi is the last one I caught and released but IMO there are a lot of flippers built as well as CRK but the Olamic Wayfarer is about as good as it gets.

My last CRK
UAikF3S.jpg

The reality is that if you want CRK quality you gotta buy CRK. Then go buy one of those spinning fidget thingies to satisfy your urge to flip.

The reality is that if you want CRK quality you gotta buy CRK. Then go buy one of those spinning fidget thingies to satisfy your urge to flip.
I’m sure CRK has continued to maintain their traditionallly great quality. I also think some flipper knives that are around the same price, or somewhat to substantially more, exhibit quality of construction that is at least CRK’s equal, including Koenig, Holt, Olamic, and Shirogorov. And some custom makers still have reasonable prices and great quality.

I’m sure CRK has continued to maintain their traditionallly great quality. I also think some flipper knives that are around the same price, or somewhat to substantially more, exhibit quality of construction that is at least CRK’s equal, including Koenig, Holt, Olamic, and Shirogorov. And some custom makers still have reasonable prices and great quality.
No doubt, there are lots of quality knives out there to feed those who want the latest and greatest flippers, ball bearings, miracle steels, coatings and attractive colors. Trying to compare them to CRK knives, however, is like comparing apples to oranges. To those of us who want a simple, basic, dependable tool for cutting whatever needs cutting the Sebenza has no peers.

No doubt, there are lots of quality knives out there to feed those who want the latest and greatest flippers, ball bearings, miracle steels, coatings and attractive colors. Trying to compare them to CRK knives, however, is like comparing apples to oranges. To those of us who want a simple, basic, dependable tool for cutting whatever needs cutting the Sebenza has no peers.

The Sebenza has many peers and many superiors. Whatever your metric. Save maybe bladeshow awards.

Is there a flipper with crk quality and ease of breakdown?
I have some flippers and they are a pain to breakdown and clean and reassemble.

I like how my sebenza can be broken down and cleaned and put back in less than 5 minutes.

The first sign you are doing something right is when you generate haters. Flip, spin, flick and hate away.

No, there are usually a number of signs before, if ever, then.

At any rate, not hating, literally probably the only distinguishing quality of CRKs today. The quantity of awards they've won. That and maybe the ceramic interface of the Umnum.

There are many knives that will out perform a CRK in many areas. Some in most areas. Depends on the metric.

It's okay that you like CRK the best. That doesn't make their knives peerless.

No, there are usually a number of signs before, if ever, then.

At any rate, not hating, literally probably the only distinguishing quality of CRKs today. The quantity of awards they've won. That and maybe the ceramic interface of the Umnum.

There are many knives that will out perform a CRK in many areas. Some in most areas. Depends on the metric.

It's okay that you like CRK the best. That doesn't make their knives peerless.
Never said I like CRK the best, just that there is no "Chris Reeve of flippers". I own and carry CRK, Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Buck and others. Individual pieces may do one thing or another a bit better than my Sebenzas but the overall look, feel, blade/handle ratio and general comfort are, in my opinion, peerless.

Never said I like CRK the best, just that there is no "Chris Reeve of flippers". I own and carry CRK, Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Buck and others. Individual pieces may do one thing or another a bit better than my Sebenzas but the overall look, feel, blade/handle ratio and general comfort are, in my opinion, peerless.

That's fine. Blanket statements, not so much.

I can tell you that every Shirogorov I've ever had has been absolutely flawless. Razor sharp, even edge, early lock up, no play, stellar action. All perfect. On top of that, comparatively speaking, Shirogorovs are more complex knives. Abundant internal milling, multiple modern innovations such has inserts and bearings.

I feel that the qualities synonymous with CRKs are equally synonymous with Shirogorovs. Give or take. Same can be said about Koenig.

Definitely some rock solid incredible knives that also flip out there. Ones with unbelievable attention to detail.

But you're right, Chris Reeve doesn't make flippers. Luckily, many equally good companies do.

That's fine. Blanket statements, not so much.

I can tell you that every Shirogorov I've ever had has been absolutely flawless. Razor sharp, even edge, early lock up, no play, stellar action. All perfect. On top of that, comparatively speaking, Shirogorovs are more complex knives. Abundant internal milling, multiple modern innovations such has inserts and bearings.

I feel that the qualities synonymous with CRKs are equally synonymous with Shirogorovs. Give or take. Same can be said about Koenig.

Definitely some rock solid incredible knives that also flip out there. Ones with unbelievable attention to detail.

But you're right, Chris Reeve doesn't make flippers. Luckily, many equally good companies do.
Condemn, then make blanket statements. Have a nice day.
GronK out.

Back