Who is the Chris Reeve of flippers?

This thread needs more pictures.

piTGdDP.jpg
Love the custom scale on the ZT! Who does that? Reminds me of the marbling on the inside cover of old books.

Y
While you can make an argument for Shiros based on tolerances and machining, and a similarly convincing argument about the current generation of Hinderers, the only real answer to the OPs question is Koenig as others have said. Only with Koenig have I seen the same kind of obsessive attention to detail and meticulous concentrated precision that characterize CRK so famously.

The design language is certainly different as Koenig tends to produce designs from outside partners (though CRK is starting to do this too with the Impinda, who knows what's ahead?). But only with Koenig's have I ever seen ball bearing framelock flippers capture the precision and exactitude that CRK models. Highest recommendation goes to them for my money.
Yes, this exactly. I love flippers and have probably 80% flippers in my collection. I couldn't agree more. The Koenig Mini Goblin that I received last week has the smoothest, greatest, most wonderful flipping action I've ever experienced. They spent an incredible amount of time perfecting the detent, the open, the close, all of it, perfection. I know a Koenig Arius will probably find its way into my collection in the next couple of months.

While I love my ZT flippers I don't think they are on par with CRK, but some of my examples could come very close.

While I don't yet own one I'd have to make a strong vote for Shiro as well as Hinderer.

Deal

I have had over 40 high-end knives in my life. To me CRK is about simplicity and innovation. Less is more or KISS principle.
Thats what I see in the SHIRO. Simple yet elegant. Simple yet full of details.
Mechanical execution is perfect IMO. Mine is on washers and THAT is the best "hydraulic feeling".
Here is my Hati

Cheers

40966892735_ec50f4d5f6_b.jpg

42268114581_7db6dbac73_b.jpg
I've often heard the Shirogorov F95T referred to as the Sebenza of flippers. That comparison seems in line with how most who've responded to the OP have taken his query, as in "which knife rivals CRK in quality?". Others, like Pharmagator Pharmagator have taken that a bit farther as in "which knife demonstrates a comparable consistency of essential design?". When I think of the Sebenza of Flippers, I'm with BBW in going immediately to my old school Shiro Hati on washers for that same benchmark hydraulic smoothness associated with CRKs.

I spend time tuning up my Reeve knives so they flick out nicely, if ever so slightly reluctantly, and did the same to my Hati to get it to flip consistently with just a bit of the proper technique. My CRKs free-drop with the lockbar disengaged but not without, just like my Hati. My most used and scuffed up CRK is my KnifeArt large 21--an American Ha(lf)Ti, every bit as well worn as its Russian cousin.

uFGLl2v.jpg

yuUsCXe.jpg

I think my Reate (2) knives would be worthy of being branded as CRK (8).

That was the question wasn’t it?

Love the Shirogorov’s. Sold my neon ultra lite because I want the lite version. Had funds but no lites available and then this happend...Like CRK great tolerences, fit and finish, and from what I’ve seen great to dissaemble.
7AE2CF94-8931-4064-99C4-5D8D6A60BDA5.jpeg

Rumor has it that The Donald carries a Shiro...
You made me laugh out loud with that one--and to a degree/severity/intensity that I won’t demean with a mere “lol” internet jargon POS tag. Kudos. I’m rarely moved to that degree.
P.S: If he doesn’t--in light of all the crazy BS in the last two years, he sure as hell should!

Back