Why do people hate Spyderco?

I didn't like the look. Then I carried a Pacific Salt for a day, now I'm a convert. Love them and plan to get more. Now I hate thumb studs.

I just traded a Microtech Ultratech for a Lil Temp Rhino. That's HUGE.
rolf

I wouldn't say I hate spyderco, I just think they are overrated. Most of their designs look the same and they don't appeal to me at all. They look cheap and cartoonish. The only two knives I like from spyderco are slysz bowie and nirvana and they are both discontinued.

Last edited:
If necro threads upset people, (why beats me), ask the mods to lock the threads after a time so no one can resurrect them.

To Spyderco knives, life is too short to live with ugly things. No matter how well Spydercos work, there are better looking knives that perform as well.

YMMV to both opinions above.

If necro threads upset people, (why beats me), ask the mods to lock the threads after a time so no one can resurrect them.

To Spyderco knives, life is too short to live with ugly things. No matter how well Spydercos work, there are better looking knives that perform as well.

It's been a thing with forums since the beginning. You bring up a thread from a year or more ago, why wasn't a new thread started instead? Doesn't bother some, doesn't really bother me. It's mostly people don't look and see when the last post was.

As for how spydercos look, I like them. To me they're not ugly, and they are usually less complex, so less to go wrong, and easier to disassemble. The hole is functional, and is much better than thumbstuds imo.

And imo most knives that perform as well cost twice as much. So if I had to choose between a spyderco and *insert knife name here* I'd probably choose the spyderco. I know it will perform and I know I can get it apart and maintain it. Known quantities and all that. Ymmv.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder either way.

Seems like you either hate them or love them. I used to think they were dumb looking and seeing them on on the big and little screen didn't help my appraisal of them. Just recently I picked up a couple through a trade and now I am a believer. I still like larger knives for the most part but I am impressed with their quality and attention to detail(also like that some are still made here, and yes Seki City has been a go to for many. many years for me). Now I just have to get completely on board with the Taiwan made knives.
They are now part of my knife family.
PS-Who cares if it is a necro thread if it is still applicable, why lose all those good postings. Now asking if a knife is still for sale a year later......

If Spyderco wasn't the industry leading company i couldn't care less about their cartoonish looking knives.
I see how many expert people really like these knives, so i am giving them a chance. Now i have like 9 best-selling original production units including spare units and never looked back.

You know what I love about this, is when someone makes a duplicate thread, people always say use the search function to find a thread. Then when someone does that, people complain about reviving old threads. It's quite comical.

I like that people don't like Spyderco.

There are a lot of people I'm happy not to see in that section.

When I first got into knives I thought Spyderco's looked a little weird to. But then I held a pm2, and never held a knife that fit me so well.
Now I find spyderco designs beautiful and other knife companies dull looking

Seems like you either hate them or love them. I used to think they were dumb looking and seeing them on on the big and little screen didn't help my appraisal of them. Just recently I picked up a couple through a trade and now I am a believer. I still like larger knives for the most part but I am impressed with their quality and attention to detail(also like that some are still made here, and yes Seki City has been a go to for many. many years for me). Now I just have to get completely on board with the Taiwan made knives.
They are now part of my knife family.
PS-Who cares if it is a necro thread if it is still applicable, why lose all those good postings. Now asking if a knife is still for sale a year later......

Larger spyderco? Taiwan made? Get an Amalgam! :D

When I first saw the Spyderco POLICE, I remember being very excited.
Finally, I thought, someone is modernizing the pocket knife and advancing the quality of production blades.
The hole in the blade was a no brainer yet why hadn’t someone thought of it before?
And that pocket clip makes so much sense. Now I can carry a folder without it turning sideways at the bottom of my pocket.

Back