Why do people hate Spyderco?

Digging up a necro thread to say that? well, welcome to BF. As far as aesthetics go, they build them to be users. They fit your hand. The company has many different designs for many different uses . Not all are beauty queens , nor were they designed to be so.
I have an enuff salt zip tied to my sea kayaking pfd, an aqua salt attached to my scuba bcd, a native salt that’s so lite I forget I have it on me. My work knives are a gayle Bradley 1 with m4 steel that is excellent at carving wood, and a Millie in s110v that holds its edge forever.
no other company comes close to the wide array of purpose built tools that spyderco produces.
Does that answer your question?
Thanks for welcoming. I've been crawling BF for a long time now. I just decided to reg recently. The thing is spyderco does not come up with that many different designs. I can think of one knife that is aesthetically pleasing: Nirvana.
So what you're saying is that people like them just out of pure utilitarian use? Ok that seems to be right.

Last edited:
Thanks for welcoming. I've been crawling BF for a long time now. I just decided to reg recently. The thing is spyderco does not come up with that many different designs. I can think of one knife that is aesthetically pleasing: Nirvana.
So what you're saying is that people like them just out of pure utilitarian use? Ok that seems to be right.

Near a decade ago when I first saw them I thought the appearance different, not immediately attractive aesthetically to my eye.
I got one to try anyway, and now carry a Spyderco much more often than any other make because they tick all the boxes for my EDC knife needs so effectively. So yes, using them as they are designed and made for is why many people like them. And now I do find them pleasing to the eye as well.

I do think that Spyderco has a truly impressive, at times rather bold, range of designs.

Love Spyderco: innovation, wide selection

Hate Spyderco: consistent price increases, no parts

(I own 37)

Last edited:
I think spydercos are really ugly. I don't get why people even like them. Terrible designs in aesthetic perspective.

Don't understand why - say - a chainsaw has to be beautiful.

i-pMNBdF8-X2.jpg

i-jBsMqQJ-X3.jpg

Hate and love are big words, which I reserve for people (and sometimes politics), usually :) Now, companies are like people in a way, with their own character. And there's stuff to criticize about Spyderco, but as long as they keep coming out with superbly functional and unique products as my last two Spyderco purchases above, why bother. Choice is a good thing for us users. Don't like them, don't buy them.

Roland.

I've had more than a few Spydercos, so it's safe to say that I don't hate them, but I doubt that I'll buy another anytime soon. Aesthetics is part of the reason, I still can't warm up to them even after more than 25 years. Ergonomics is another factor, the choil on the blade doesn't settle well with me. But it's the increased prices and three suboptimal customer service experiences have cemented my decision to move on. In all fairness, I don't buy many knives anymore, so Spyderco is one company among many where I no longer shop.

I think spydercos are really ugly. I don't get why people even like them. Terrible designs in aesthetic perspective.

Hi Killer,

Welcome to our forum.

sal

I LIKE Spyderco because they build a great, functional product, are innovative in both design and steel use, listen to what their customers want, and are active in the community (as evidenced by Sal's welcoming you despite the fact that you clearly stepped out from under your bridge to write your message).

Last edited:
I don't see anyone hate Spyderco. Some people may not like the looking of Spyderco knives but that is far from "hate." Aesthetics is really something subjective. I find models like PM2, Military, Manix, DF, Delica, Endura and such all look fine. Personally I will not buy multiple knives of a brand only because of their functionality; they must look good to me too.

I have run across a few people over the years that hate Spyderco, including my neighbor, their words too. Also Cold Steel Buck, etc. Like a lot of things, one bad experience is all it takes. I think cars might be one of the worst for that.

I don't know if this thread is closed to replies but ill bump it once with something important in mind.

Far as im concerned Spyderco is the closest thing you have to a fantasy knife. People swear by it but at the same time would never put it under stress, that's simply hypocritical.
I would never trust my life with a Spyderco, im sorry but that's how i feel. The look of it isn't threatening as well. I've never seen a Spyderco go through a torture test because we all know that's a bad look for spyderfans
I stay away from knives that I can't depend on, and ESPECIALLY not 100$+
Its a fashion piece that's been overhyped to ad absurdum

I don't know if this thread is closed to replies but ill bump it once with something important in mind.

Far as im concerned Spyderco is the closest thing you have to a fantasy knife. People swear by it but at the same time would never put it under stress, that's simply hypocritical.
I would never trust my life with a Spyderco, im sorry but that's how i feel. The look of it isn't threatening as well. I've never seen a Spyderco go through a torture test because we all know that's a bad look for spyderfans
I stay away from knives that I can't depend on, and ESPECIALLY not 100$+
Its a fashion piece that's been overhyped to ad absurdum
Sure, opinions.

I disagree with this generalization entirely. I probably own 50-60 Spyderco knives, made up of several different models, and all function well.

I’d be curious to hear more about your specific experiences with them failing during use. Please include the model.

I don't know that the intent of a Spyderco knife is to be threatening...and I'd say they're pretty good at what they were designed to do, which is cutting and slicing.

As for destruction tests and durability, I'll leave that arena to others. I think my friend Shawn, DeadboxHero DeadboxHero , might have some thoughts on that score.

Back