Why do people hate Spyderco?

I told my wife I was going to get a neck tat so I looked more threatening, but she kicked me in the butt and made me mow the lawn.

I had my almost useless para 2 with me. Thanks a lot, Sal....

:p
img

The local Army surplus has a pile of brand new Endura. Still in the package. Some Unit bought a bunch to issue out. The leftovers were bought as surplus.

If you're curious to the NSN,

I carried a Ladybug I bought myself from the PX. Tiny little thing. First Spyderco I ever had and for the life of me. I don't remember what happened to it.

I've only owned five Spydercos in my life. I bought a Pro Ventilator about 25 or so years ago. I bought four PM2 knives. My only real complaint was the tip is entirely too thin. I bent two of the tips just straight cutting a tow straps and other normal uses on a farm. Zero prying. If you're looking for a light duty slicer, the PM2 is good if you need a blade that can handle medium to hard cutting, they offer thicker stock. I personally have no reason for one. My new farm knife. 20230804_100641.jpg20230804_100632.jpg

I don't know that the intent of a Spyderco knife is to be threatening...and I'd say they're pretty good at what they were designed to do, which is cutting and slicing.

As for destruction tests and durability, I'll leave that arena to others. I think my friend Shawn, DeadboxHero DeadboxHero , might have some thoughts on that score.
I think he might be beyond anybody's ability to help him understand. 😂

However, there's still hope for some people reading that are still trying to learn.

I guess we take it for granted that people can customize the edge geometry to suit their needs eh?

If I find a knife that holds up, fits what I need it to do, and is well designed for my hand I buy it. The DF 2 does that, and I have 4 with differing scales.

I bought a spyderco Endura 4 in VG10 a long time ago and a fixed blade bushcrafter in O-1 (?), the handle bent in the middle on the endura, and when the blade lock was released the blade dropped into the index finger almost cutting it, I didnt buy another since, have they changed much?

Must have 15 - 20 Spydies, got my first one around 20 years ago (Endura). My daily carries are either the roadie or urban - both UK legal carry but to be honest just really useful for daily stuff, nice and small and unobtrusive.

The only Spyderco that made me sick to my stomach was one of their Japan made models. Laminated blade with wood scales.

It had been years since I had given Spyderco a second look. I was all about Benchmade at the time.

So on a fluke, I ordered the Japanese made version just because I wanted wood scales. When it showed up. The blade was and is so far off center. You'd need a feeler gauge to measure it, it's so tight to the liner. Never really took much notice if blades where perfectly centered before this knife. I was so disgusted. It felt like someone was grabbing my throat. And Yes, I attempted to try and move the blade. Taking it apart. Tightening the scale screws in a certain order. Switch pivot washers to other side. You name it and I've tried.

Thinking they all must be junk. Wondering why people kept saying their name. Fast forward more years and a USA made Spyderco crossed my path. It was perfect.

Finding out, it's the bigger Japanese made knives that are notorious for having an off centered blade. I still have the knife and I never carry it.

The local Army surplus has a pile of brand new Endura. Still in the package. Some Unit bought a bunch to issue out. The leftovers were bought as surplus.

If you're curious to the NSN,

I carried a Ladybug I bought myself from the PX. Tiny little thing. First Spyderco I ever had and for the life of me. I don't remember what happened to it.

The only Spyderco that made me sick to my stomach was one of their Japan made models. Laminated blade with wood scales.

It had been years since I had given Spyderco a second look. I was all about Benchmade at the time.

So on a fluke, I ordered the Japanese made version just because I wanted wood scales. When it showed up. The blade was and is so far off center. You'd need a feeler gauge to measure it, it's so tight to the liner. Never really took much notice if blades where perfectly centered before this knife. I was so disgusted. It felt like someone was grabbing my throat. And Yes, I attempted to try and move the blade. Taking it apart. Tightening the scale screws in a certain order. Switch pivot washers to other side. You name it and I've tried.

Thinking they all must be junk. Wondering why people kept saying their name. Fast forward more years and a USA made Spyderco crossed my path. It was perfect.

Finding out, it's the bigger Japanese made knives that are notorious for having an off centered blade. I still have the knife and I never carry it.
A Japanese made Rockstead will be centered most likely...lol

Many reasons to "hate" Spyderco

- Mutilated liners (Spyderco calls it weight reduction)
- No liners, too thin (short) liners
- Serrated blade
- The blade doesn't start where it should.....according to Spyderco it's a finger choil
- China in models are made of Chinese crap steel
- Stupid and poorly designed locks
- Too thin scales
- Maybe a couple of hundred other reasons

There was only one knife in the current collection that I wanted and I bought it for the FIFTH time, my "Eleanor" (Spyderco Vallotton Sub-Hilt)

Spyderco-Vallotton-Sub-Hilt-3.jpg

Back