Why do people hate Spyderco?

Many reasons to "hate" Spyderco

- Mutilated liners (Spyderco calls it weight reduction)
- No liners, too thin (short) liners
- Serrated blade
- The blade doesn't start where it should.....according to Spyderco it's a finger choil
- China in models are made of Chinese crap steel
- Stupid and poorly designed locks
- Too thin scales
- Maybe a couple of hundred other reasons

There was only one knife in the current collection that I wanted and I bought it for the FIFTH time, my "Eleanor" (Spyderco Vallotton Sub-Hilt)

Spyderco-Vallotton-Sub-Hilt-3.jpg
Oh man. We all knows what happened to Eleanor. LOL.

the handle bent in the middle on the endura
May I ask how? Also the blade is supposed to drop when you push down the lock bar, and you catch it with your index finder by the ricasso or choil, then finish closing with your thumb. Spyderco lock back knives are purposely designed this way for easy one hand closing.

The only time I had a Spyderco failure; I was batoning a Ladybug into a rock maple stump using a fully functional replica of Mjolnir when the pivot gave out and it sent a thousand pieces of shrapnel flying. Sal has some explaining to do!

Many reasons to "hate" Spyderco

- Mutilated liners (Spyderco calls it weight reduction)
- No liners, too thin (short) liners
- Serrated blade
- The blade doesn't start where it should.....according to Spyderco it's a finger choil
- China in models are made of Chinese crap steel
- Stupid and poorly designed locks
- Too thin scales
- Maybe a couple of hundred other reasons

There was only one knife in the current collection that I wanted and I bought it for the FIFTH time, my "Eleanor" (Spyderco Vallotton Sub-Hilt)

Spyderco-Vallotton-Sub-Hilt-3.jpg
Lol

The endura is an objectively fantastic knife... but I will say most spyderco models have too large of a profile for my taste (height wise). I suppose it comes with the spydie hole territory.

May I ask how? Also the blade is supposed to drop when you push down the lock bar, and you catch it with your index finder by the ricasso or choil, then finish closing with your thumb. Spyderco lock back knives are purposely designed this way for easy one hand closing.

Hello Stillshot2,

I have the knife in front of me now, the "bend" that I refer to is not a permanent plastic deformation type bend, rather a "flexability in the handle when the blade is opened" it "bends". It does return. Like when a plastic ruler bends and returns to straight, although not to the same extent obviously.
When the blade is opened - thumbs underside in the middle, pressure applied to either end (not even a lot of pressure) and the handle flexes or "bends".
I have tried to understand closing the knife as you describe and if i place my index finger to the very front of the handle I can stop the blade part way through the open and then by turning the blade in my hand close it. I most likely did not give the knife enough "fidget time" to figure that out.
I did at the time appreciate their innovative opening method and still do admire the range of steels that are supplied in their products, VG10 was new to me at the time.
I am not taking a particularly aggressive stance on this, I dont "hate Spyderco" , rather was relaying my experiences that caused me not to use it or buy any more of them,

All the best to the guys and gals who have found them to fit into their lives, Enjoy your knives!

rather a "flexability in the handle when the blade is opened" it "bends". It does return.
I see what you mean. Yeah the metal inset liners in seki models do seem a little thin to me, they do allow some flex. I haven't ever encountered a failure because of this but I do have folders from other makers that do feel more solidly built albeit noticably heavier.

I love some spiderco! Particularly the Ti guys, love my Sage 2 and spidichef. I would have a K2 but for the tip down clip. I bought a farid to sate that urge!

I actually bought a Manix 2 XL and asked the dealer to make sure it doesn't have blade play before shipping it. He replied and said he had 2 in stock and both have up & down play so I cancelled. Would love a manix but hate play so no. Is what it is.

Guess some people hate them for the hole and the bladeshape that creates and maybe also the frn scales.

I personally love them and the super thin slicy blades they sport.

z1Nl1ueh.jpg

L4kIJU1h.jpg

I never hated Spydercos, but I was just a little turned off by the hole sticking up so far from the handled (compared with a thumb stud). But, I still had the itch to try one, especially with the compression lock. Perhaps actually using one will let me know/feel what the fuss is all about. I've got a PM2 inbound to find out.

I used to hate them, I thought they were ugly as sin, especially the ever popular PM2 and Endura/Endela/Delica, didnt like the blade look, , I was a benchmade fan and own 7 of them, I did however like the smock so I got one and was so impressed with it I got a Shaman which I thought had a smoother looking blade shape to the PM2, I loved that knife too so got another spydie and another and I ended up getting the PM2 and was shocked that I ever hated it because its popular for a reason, once it was in my hand the ergos and overall feel were awesome, a friend got a manix and brought it to work, so I had to get one as well after handling that, the endura wharncliffe I actually thought was uglier than the PM2 at one time but got that in K390 and it became one of my most carried/used knives.

lots of people have hated them due to looks, but once you actually get one then you understand the love, I still love my benchmades but I havent had any interest in buying more, juust keep getting more spydies and I rarely carry them much now

Hi Tim,

Please share your thoughts.

sal
I have my first three in hand now. They are the Para Military 2, Native 5 Salt, and Chaparral.
53237497322_86fb0c89ac_b.jpg

There is another thread here where some have mentioned having issues with the spydiehole. I don't want to discount their issues, but add another data point. Even though I have a desk job and don't have super tough hands/thumbs, I didn't find any issues with the hole openers. Though it does add a little to the height of the blade, I haven't found that to be an issue in practice and they are very easy to use without needing any modifications or chamfering, at least for me.

The PM2 is quite fidget friendly. It's very comfortable in hand. I really like the compression lock. I'm curious to witness how the Native 5 Salt handles the beach when I go next month. In the mean time, I'm hoping to get more general use from that Magnacut blade. I'm super impressed with the Chaparral, though. What an awesome little knife! I took to it almost immediately and can see it becoming one of my favorites.

Overall, I'm very glad I gave these a try. Spyderco will be another brand I start building a small collection of. The next batch are already inbound.

Back