Why do people hate Spyderco?

I asked this question to my friends : " Guys , can you think of a sensible reason why someone would dislike Spyderco ?"
One of them gave the most logical answer l could find : " Some people prefer thumb studs to thumb holes"
That seems reasonable to me. But l always found thumb holes infinitely more comfortable to manipulate than a thumb stud... Especially if the Knife and / or your hand is yet. Oh , well... To each his own.

I asked this question to my friends : " Guys , can you think of a sensible reason why someone would dislike Spyderco ?"
One of them gave the most logical answer l could find : " Some people prefer thumb studs to thumb holes"
That seems reasonable to me. But l always found thumb holes infinitely more comfortable to manipulate than a thumb stud... Especially if the Knife and / or your hand is yet. Oh , well... To each his own.

The hole is what a thumb stud wants to be when it grows up. ;)

ETA: And to your point on wet hands, I regularly use my Salt knives in the kayak with fish blood and goo all over them. Thumstuds are a far inferior mechanism in that scenario. (In addition to being generally more cumbersome and getting in the way of both sharpening and cutting.)

I don't know if there is a reasonable, logical reason to hate them, but there is a guy on youtube who absolutely hates them. He's the only person I've ever encountered online or in the real world who truly had an axe to grind against Spyderco in a big way. He pops up in the comments of videos of Spyderco products to tear them down from time to time.

The hole is what a thumb stud wants to be when it grows up. ;)

ETA: And to your point on wet hands, I regularly use my Salt knives in the kayak with fish blood and goo all over them. Thumstuds are a far inferior mechanism in that scenario. (In addition to being generally more cumbersome and getting in the way of both sharpening and cutting.)
True on the sharpening, plus have you ever used a Military with gloves?

I also didn't like Spydercos when I started using and collecting knives. I felt there was something ugly about how they looked, and the blade shape and the hole made the knife look like a bird.

After some time avoiding them, I decided to jump on a trade for a PM2 and everything changed. The knives aren't ugly, they have character! The spydie hole is so much better than a thumbstud for deployment it's not even kind of being close to fair. For some, it's love at first sight. For me, it was an acquired taste.

I agree with all of this, and it mirrors my experience. Avoided them for 3 decades...and I've always had a lot of knives. I got a PM2 to use for a day and I'm completely sold. It pushed some far more expensive knives out of my pocket.

I do not like Spyderco, all of the ones I have owned are now gone.

For perspective I have only gotten rid of one Benchmade ever, and it was a trade to a buddy of mine for 200 reloads of 25-06. Still own over 15 Benchmades.

That's funny. I've been selling Benchmades and buying Spyderco's for the past 2 months. I just wish someone would've given me one of these to try earlier so I didn't miss out on some cool sprints.

I agree with all of this, and it mirrors my experience. Avoided them for 3 decades...and I've always had a lot of knives. I got a PM2 to use for a day and I'm completely sold. It pushed some far more expensive knives out of my pocket.

That's funny. I've been selling Benchmades and buying Spyderco's for the past 2 months. I just wish someone would've given me one of these to try earlier so I didn't miss out on some cool sprints.
Spyderco was my first " modern " knife company . Before that l was a Schrade guy who used to EDC a stockman. Now 27 of my 44 knives are Spyderco.
On a related subject , since you like Sprints , try getting a D2 military. You won't regret it :D

I'll have to admit when I first saw Spyderco knives in the early 90's I thought the FRN handles looked cheap, and some of their designs were just downright ugly to me. About a year later I bought a Dragonfly to see what all the talk was about - the rest is history as I now own over 60 Spyderco knives. :D I rarely buy any other brand knife anymore.

At work a good portion of non knife people know spyderco because they come very sharp. A few have cut themselves pretty bad and they will always remember the brand.

This profile picture is the only thing I hate. Because I am so jealous of the fish caught.
Find him on Facebook, it's new fish pics almost everyday! As I've only got some line wet a few times this year I'm eager to get out there. I am going to try some fly fishing from a kayak in June.

Spyderco has such a great variety of knives, they never get old. 👍

I love Buck knives and Spyderco knives.

Back