1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Why do people hate Spyderco?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by midmo, Apr 27, 2016.

1. carbonsteelfan

carbonsteelfan

May 29, 2014
    I asked this question to my friends : " Guys , can you think of a sensible reason why someone would dislike Spyderco ?"
    One of them gave the most logical answer l could find : " Some people prefer thumb studs to thumb holes"
    That seems reasonable to me. But l always found thumb holes infinitely more comfortable to manipulate than a thumb stud... Especially if the Knife and / or your hand is yet. Oh , well... To each his own.

2. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    The hole is what a thumb stud wants to be when it grows up. ;)

ETA: And to your point on wet hands, I regularly use my Salt knives in the kayak with fish blood and goo all over them. Thumstuds are a far inferior mechanism in that scenario. (In addition to being generally more cumbersome and getting in the way of both sharpening and cutting.)

3. MaxFisher

MaxFisher

Feb 5, 2005
    I don't know if there is a reasonable, logical reason to hate them, but there is a guy on youtube who absolutely hates them. He's the only person I've ever encountered online or in the real world who truly had an axe to grind against Spyderco in a big way. He pops up in the comments of videos of Spyderco products to tear them down from time to time.

4. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    True on the sharpening, plus have you ever used a Military with gloves?

5. Royo

Royo

Feb 6, 2000
    All I can say is this ," Haters gonna Hate."

6. Rare blade

Rare blade

Sep 21, 2013
    Because they drain your bank account.:D

7. MadmanR1

MadmanR1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2009
    I agree with all of this, and it mirrors my experience. Avoided them for 3 decades...and I've always had a lot of knives. I got a PM2 to use for a day and I'm completely sold. It pushed some far more expensive knives out of my pocket.

That's funny. I've been selling Benchmades and buying Spyderco's for the past 2 months. I just wish someone would've given me one of these to try earlier so I didn't miss out on some cool sprints.

8. carbonsteelfan

carbonsteelfan

May 29, 2014
    Spyderco was my first " modern " knife company . Before that l was a Schrade guy who used to EDC a stockman. Now 27 of my 44 knives are Spyderco.
    On a related subject , since you like Sprints , try getting a D2 military. You won't regret it :D

9. Pokerchip

Pokerchip Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

10. Tdhurl1103

Tdhurl1103

Dec 6, 2012
    The most interesting men in the world would carry Spyderco. The less interesting carry everything else.

11. deskil

deskil

Dec 26, 2012
    I hate 'em 'cuz I love 'em. ;)

12. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    I'll have to admit when I first saw Spyderco knives in the early 90's I thought the FRN handles looked cheap, and some of their designs were just downright ugly to me. About a year later I bought a Dragonfly to see what all the talk was about - the rest is history as I now own over 60 Spyderco knives. :D I rarely buy any other brand knife anymore.

13. Sosa

Sosa

Feb 6, 2014
    At work a good portion of non knife people know spyderco because they come very sharp. A few have cut themselves pretty bad and they will always remember the brand.

14. joshnc

joshnc

May 23, 2015

This profile picture is the only thing I hate. Because I am so jealous of the fish caught.

15. elmeringalo

elmeringalo

Aug 7, 2014
    People donĀ“t hate Spyderco!

16. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    Find him on Facebook, it's new fish pics almost everyday! As I've only got some line wet a few times this year I'm eager to get out there. I am going to try some fly fishing from a kayak in June.

17. No1up

No1up

Feb 27, 2016
    Because the paramilitary 2 is iconic?

18. Krav

Krav Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Spyderco has such a great variety of knives, they never get old. 👍

19. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    I agree with everything Surfgringo says on this thread.

20. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I love Buck knives and Spyderco knives.