Will Busse ever make a great all around camp knife?

I know this is a controversial question but for real... I've been waiting for years for Busse to sell just a basic all around good knife for general outdoor use and my $500 is just sitting here collecting dust. They have huge fancy knives, knives with saw backs, weird curved blades, knives for the apocalypse. It seem seems like every knife they come out with has a weird angled pommel, the blade is way too thick for general use, there's always something wrong. Not "I'm being too picky" wrong, but actually just poor design for general use wrong.

There are a few that you could pass for general use but many of them are 20 years old and $1,000+. Are there any Busse blades in the 4.5 - 5" range, around 10" overall, roughly .18 blade thickness in INFI with full tang and flat pommel?

🤔 SAR5 fits your criteria. This one is a custom, but the production run SAR5's are coated, with micarta & G-10 Arrow/ horizontal V cut pattern handle options.

FB_IMG_1589839378305.jpg

On the smaller end of your size range, @ .160' thick & 4.5" blade-
"Son of Swat
OVERALL LENGTH:
9.25"
BLADE LENGTH:
4.25"
BLADE WIDTH:
1.1"
BLADE THICKNESS:
Approx. .160" "

20221120_184441-01.jpeg

Ratmandu used to be a mainstay on their website. Not sure what the Busse eqivalent is, a SAR? I think the Busse kin designs are more intriguing for such purposes.

Edit: Ah yes, the badger series mentioned above. Thise look nice. The nano fusion badger attack looked like it would be a sweet blade, never got my hands on one at a price I wanted. It's thicker blade stock but has a high grind that should melliw that out for cutting.

I had the nano fusion steel heart and the handle was too small for a big knife but very comfy to just use as a knife and not a chopper. The NFSH was big enough to be an effective chopper, if the handle would've worked for me. I was almost certain it was going to replace my infiweiler when looking at it but then tge handle became a dealbreaker after a while of use.

I also thought the RAD or game wardens would be cook camp knives, albeit on the shorter side. Several of each listed as custom offerings right now, which you've likely already seen.

Last edited:
"Gaza Strip Poker" (GSP)
While it's not INFI, it hits the rest of your list. Some of us believe a Coated SR101 especially in a smaller blade is not giving up very much to the same blade in INFI.

GSP Coated.jpgGSP Satin.jpg

I'm a very happy SAR5 owner, mine is in the original "Hammer Handle" configuration and my XXL Mitts couldn't be happier.
20220823_122033.jpg

The RMD is a good mention, especially the FHFG INFI RMD offered a few years ago. But it’s from the Swamp.

Other than that, a lot of the stuff out of the Yard have been good too, depending in what you’re after. But then again, it’s from the Yard, not Busse.

I’ve really like the ELMAX Slicers when hunting/camping. But that fails your INFI and length criteria. However I like the combo of this with a larger knife like a hell razor or AR9.5.

As a camp knife, I’d say the best recent offering is the TGULB… some may not like the guards, but they don’t bother me as much. Thin, light, INFI, good length for what I like to do around camp.

Speaking of the TAC handle, what about the Flak Jack? The specs are right for OP’s descriptions.

I have a BG Flak Jack and it’s a goodie. Just SR-101 instead of INFI.

I have not tried a SJTAC yet but its on my radar. I sold my TGULB after getting my Liberty Heart. The TGULB was wonderful but it just never felt right in my hand. The Liberty Heart is a perfect for me. This is my go to camp knife as well as my EDC (backpack mostly but IWB as needed).

Do you want an Infi blade? Infi is an all around excellent steel, but it really shines for larger heavy duty task.

Can you give some examples of your experience with too thick edges? I’ve had ever thickness Busse and have used them all without issue from kitchen duty to camping.

You can always thin the edge yourself with a little work.

I have not tried a SJTAC yet but its on my radar. I sold my TGULB after getting my Liberty Heart. The TGULB was wonderful but it just never felt right in my hand. The Liberty Heart is a perfect for me. This is my go to camp knife as well as my EDC (backpack mostly but IWB as needed).
You IWB a LH? That’s impressive . Huge backpacking knife . I lug around an SFNO car camping but if I’m on a hike, I downsize to a 4-6” blade . I have some other brands I like in that size (right now a CPK DEK1 is dominating the spot) but I have been wanting a Boss Jack proto

I hear ya, but that's not their market.....
They have a Great Thing going, and lot's of people love their stuff.
Just a different type of knife.

I suggest checking out Other makers (too)
There are at least a few who would fit Your needs EXACTLY.

Since we are in a Busse forum, and we are dreaming.... I'd like a Busse with a thin 5/32 or less blade.
8-10" long blade...maybe even longer?
No Choil. NONE
No exposed pommel. NONE
No thumb ramps, weird ledges, and flashy guards.

I want the most Boring Busse available.

*edit Their 1311 is the closest to perfect.
I bet the 9's and 11's are pretty good too.

Last edited:
There are quite a few as mentioned above:

i-9HNvWHN-X2.jpg

i-zWtK9CV-X2.jpg

i-Nbt5jzz-X2.jpg

I personally like any of the Jacks, Flak Jack, Axe Hammer, etc., they are good cutters. But you might not like the butt ?

i-V46vszr-X2.jpg

I know this is a controversial question but for real... I've been waiting for years for Busse to sell just a basic all around good knife for general outdoor use and my $500 is just sitting here collecting dust. They have huge fancy knives, knives with saw backs, weird curved blades, knives for the apocalypse. It seem seems like every knife they come out with has a weird angled pommel, the blade is way too thick for general use, there's always something wrong. Not "I'm being too picky" wrong, but actually just poor design for general use wrong.

There are a few that you could pass for general use but many of them are 20 years old and $1,000+. Are there any Busse blades in the 4.5 - 5" range, around 10" overall, roughly .18 blade thickness in INFI with full tang and flat pommel?

Busse has made tons of knives that size. Anorexic Badger is one, MUK is another, and there is so much more. If you've been waiting for years, then you must be browsing very sporadically, like me, and have missed a lot. That happens to me, but there are many models already having been made that fit in your criteria

You IWB a LH? That’s impressive . Huge backpacking knife . I lug around an SFNO car camping but if I’m on a hike, I downsize to a 4-6” blade . I have some other brands I like in that size (right now a CPK DEK1 is dominating the spot) but I have been wanting a Boss Jack proto
I guess years of IWB carrying a 1911 changes your perspective on Huge knife.
20231121_091955.jpg

Back