Winter kith?

It looks great TG. Thank you for the compliment. Lief, thank you too.

2395f23bec3713573a350eb924a77738.jpg
d945c43a74a966493d54c656481afdf1.jpg

So I am finished with mine and I am not a professional knife maker whatsoever. My goal was to use this as a learning experience and hopefully get feedback on small tweaks I can make to improve my abilities. This was the first time to try a hamon so it is not near a pretty as kuraki's (by the way great looking knife), but I learned a lot on what to try on my next hamon. That being said I am finished as long as it is worthy of the KITH still.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm not a professional either. You made a great knife. I would love to receive it. :thumbup: As long as you did your best, that's all that counts. A kith is a great way to show where you are at, help others with less experience, and learn from others with more experience.

My sheath sucks. I'm terrible at them. My hamon didn't come out with the definition I want, and my guard is not 100% symmetrical. None of us are ever happy with what we did. We all know where we can improve.

I commented to someone in a pm today that this was the funnest kith I've been involved in. I want to thank everyone for doing such a great job, pushing themselves, and posting their work. :thumbup:

As I think somebody said earlier we Are our toughest critics. And I definitely fall in that category. So I look forward to some feedback from whoever receives my knife.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Some nice looking knives, too bad I can't finish and get a chance for one of them...Got home to frozen/broken pipes in my well-house and house. I'm sure you can understand what took priority... Sorry.
~billyO

To echo other posts, I am impressed with all the work done to date. I hope my knife goes to someone who can either pick it apart and make constructive suggestions, or someone who needs will just use it and be happy with it. I hope i receive something really nice, and judging by what I've seen here, that won't be an issue. (of course, i had hoped to get Stacy's knife, since he's a legend and a great resource around here)

Not sure how I missed this. Do these happen only once a year or is there a summer version? I'd like to get in on the next one for sure!

Not sure how I missed this. Do these happen only once a year or is there a summer version? I'd like to get in on the next one for sure!

There is a kitchen knife kith in the summer. This one is typically Christmas, but we were late starting this year.

For anyone not yet finished, tomorrow at midnight is the deadline.

Just a reminder, today is the last day to wrap up your project. Tomorrow I will draw names.

Well I cannot participate in this KITH. I was trying my best to get done in time and I guess in rushing I screwed up. The front of the scale is popped off the tang. Here it is though. Now gotta see if I can fix it for a shop knife or just let it ride like that until I chunk it. Or I guess grind the scales back completely off maybe lol. Any ideas on how to fix it are welcome.

735433b4868b0b2fa33998a3841e0c0f.jpg

bac59362cf5ddd3a166283aa98d54bac.jpg

0c6623c7e0a7f36db12695006b18d051.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd drill through the front with a carbide drill and put a carbon fiber pin through it with epoxy, then squirt thin CA under the scale, clamp it up and hope for the best. I had a similar thing happen on a framed knife but in the back, and I did that and it worked well enough. Not something I'd sell but I'll probably give it away to friends/family to see how long it holds up.

ETA maybe glue with the CA first then drill and pin. Hard to say, you run the risk of popping the other one off when drilling through.

The other side is loose a little as well but not nearly as bad as the left side that's easily visible. If I put it in the deep freeze think they would pop off if I prayed it some?

Is the only pin the one we see?
If you don't want to see pins you can do hidden pins and thy work just about as good.

The other side is loose a little as well but not nearly as bad as the left side that's easily visible. If I put it in the deep freeze think they would pop off if I prayed it some?

JT's question is pertinent but if it is only the single pin, depending on how you glued the handle materials together and to the liner, versus how they're glued to the blade, I think if you were to drill the single pin out, then freeze and pop, you have a pretty good chance at getting a do over.

And if it works, add more pins. I use a minimum of 2 on homogeneous scale materials, on that type of handle construction I'd use at leas three with one in the black material but more likely 4 total, two in the black and two in the wood.

Ghostman, I need a knife in that profile. If you want to stay in the kith, I'll rig the draw to get your knife, with the rest being random. You can leave it as it is, and I'll try to fix it, or make new scales.

Warren

Ghostman, I need a knife in that profile. If you want to stay in the kith, I'll rig the draw to get your knife, with the rest being random. You can leave it as it is, and I'll try to fix it, or make new scales.

Warren

To answer some questions, yes that is the only pin. I wanted to put a thong tube in the rear as additional support/function, but didn't do it once I noticed the scale had popped. I was hoping for the "bolster" to look clean and was worried pins in it wouldn't look good. Should have done blind hole pins I guess.

Warren, if you want this knife that's ok with me. My plan was to finish the knife and a sheath tonight before midnight. I'll leave the knife just as is like you stated. I will still do the sheath and have it ready for you. Thanks.

Back