WIP Wednesdays

I just recall the fit people threw over the change in the 3.5 flat sabre grind to a shallow "S" grind.

Imagine the demand for heads on platters if there was a major change to the 12's blade shape!

I'd really like to see one of those blanks in somebody's hand with a straight on angle from the side to really see the profile without angled distortion.

I agree people, comparing a schematic drawing of the whole knife to a low angle shot of a blank can be deceiving.
I will wait for more information before making a judgement. :D

35BEF589-5891-4411-B9A2-0A497C8D1973.jpeg
All the pictures are butt-first, which doesn't help to give a good sense of the blade shape. It seems like a less radical design than the design schematic on the site, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen something more representative.
The link must not have worked, there is a full side view of the knife.

I just recall the fit people threw over the change in the 3.5 flat sabre grind to a shallow "S" grind.

Imagine the demand for heads on platters if there was a major change to the 12's blade shape!

Yes I was one of the "Gripers" (lol) but believe justifiably so. Not quite tracking an "S" grind as I believe Millit pretty much perfected a flat-saber grind. As far as the design/looks of this GSO 12, looking very nice. Haven't kept up on any news on it but what is the intent of the added hole above the scales (lanyard type of grip or some sort of ability to fashion a D-Guard like on Busses)?

what is the intent of the added hole above the scales (lanyard type of grip or some sort of ability to fashion a D-Guard like on Busses)

I'm gonna guess that it's a foward lanyard hole like on competition choppers, similar to the CPKs (LC/MC/HC/BC) and/or Keffeler choppers..

Last edited:
Yes I was one of the "Gripers" (lol) but believe justifiably so. Not quite tracking an "S" grind as I believe Millit pretty much perfected a flat-saber grind. As far as the design/looks of this GSO 12, looking very nice. Haven't kept up on any news on it but what is the intent of the added hole above the scales (lanyard type of grip or some sort of ability to fashion a D-Guard like on Busses)?

LOL. Not throwing anyone under the bus. I can only imagine the proportional level of noise this would generate.

The forward lanyard hole is a feature on purpose built choppers. All blade sport competition choppers, for example, have to have the forward lanyard hole. Not debating if it's a good thing or a bad thing - strong opinions in both camps - but its there to allow tying a safety lanyard in front of the grips.

LOL. Not throwing anyone under the bus. I can only imagine the proportional level of noise this would generate.

The forward lanyard hole is a feature on purpose built choppers. All blade sport competition choppers, for example, have to have the forward lanyard hole. Not debating if it's a good thing or a bad thing - strong opinions in both camps - but its there to allow tying a safety lanyard in front of the grips.
What are the arguments against the forward lanyard hole? Compromised blade strength?

Curious of the location near the back side vs. the front closer to the choil, suppose it's something I've always overlooked in the past.

safety and preference. A flying blade coming back and stabbing you versus swinging clear, in the event it gets loose. I use a forward lanyard but others think that's crazy. This was heavily debated here. Lots of interesting views expressed.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-cpk-lc-getting-it-done-picture-heavy.1505149/
I'll check out that link. I mainly thought about how nice a forward lanyard would be to prevent a hand from slipping backwards when chopping, but that was about how far I thought through it. Thanks!

I am one of the gripers too! Hollow grinds is still a huge nono in my books.
GSO 12 shape is straighten out as compared to the CAD drawing. The front lanyard hole is a great implementation for safety.

Ultimately I give up my GSO12 after using more choppers such as Camp 10, Junglas, BRKT Golok, Eco Parang in the jungles of Asia. Heavier and longer choppers simply is not practical even though they are hell lot of fun. The GSO8 and GSO10 or maybe even a GSO 9 would be enough for tropical Jungles.

If we want to go solely by the picture on Instagram we should also be complaining that they shortened the GSO 12 blade because from that perspective it only looks about seven inches long. ;)
To be perfectly clear (humor being hard sometimes) I'm certain that Guy didn't hack five inches off the GSO 12.

Back