Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Smart looking knife that! Wright's spear is quite pleasing.
And the stag has more character than I would expect. Is it their Pere David?

Nice one Tim. :)

Michael
Hi Michael,
I don't know if it's Pere David, it's certainly got more going on than the knife used as the 'display model' in the pics on the site I bought it from so it's possible I suppose, it's good solid stuff whatever it is, there's no pith visible anywhere. I was at the mercy of whatever was picked and packed so I'm very happy with what turned up.
Tim

Finally got the last two for my Eureka collection! There's a couple of very limited ones that I'll never get a chance at, so I'm gonna make life easy for myself, and say I'm done. Hope to get a whole group shot to share once it stops snowing.

I can't express enough how thankful I am that these were made available to me.
VLxV3Lh.jpg

Just received this little A. Wright lambfoot and can’t wait to put it to use. I’ve got a larger lambfoot and absolutely love it as a user. Neither have the best fit and finish but that doesn’t hinder performance. Excited to get this one dirty!!
79C9AB86-468E-4C5B-8814-0380EEF6846C.jpeg

I hesitated to post this knife, as it probably doesn’t fit many folks’ definition of “traditional,” even given the bewilderingly wide variety of fixed-blades devised during the past few thousand years. Nevertheless, I re-read the posting guidelines, and I think I’m good-to-go.

I’ve tried for many years—without success—to find a fixed blade suitable for routine carry. Unfortunately, every knife I’ve tried has either been too small to be useful or too large or bulky to carry discretely. (I’m not concerned about frightening observers; I just don’t want to look as if I’m about to head off into the woods when I’m shopping for groceries, and I’d like the flexibility to be able to wear it on my belt or shove it comfortably into a front pocket.) Daniel Fairly’s excellent “Backpacker” model came *very* close to satisfying my requirements, but thus far he has only made these in titanium, which limits its utility in some situations.

On New Year’s Day I decided to order a GiantMouse GMF1, and it arrived a couple of days ago. To make a long story short, I’m *loving* this knife. I won’t carry it every day, but I think it’ll prove very useful for those days when I anticipate tackling jobs that might prove a bit much for the SAK in my left pocket or the small single-blade jack in my right.

476E7EF7-2EF8-4541-9B60-12FDDA503389.jpeg

Last edited:
I hesitated to post this knife, as it probably doesn’t fit many folks’ definition of “traditional,” even given the bewilderingly wide variety of fixed-blades devised during the past few thousand years. Nevertheless, I re-read the posting guidelines, and I think I’m good-to-go.

I’ve tried for many years—without success—to find a fixed blade suitable for routine carry. Unfortunately, every knife I’ve tried has either been too small to be useful or too large or bulky to carry discretely. (I’m not concerned about frightening observers; I just don’t want to look as if I’m about to head off into the woods when I’m shopping for groceries, and I’d like the flexibility to be able to wear it on my belt or shove it comfortably into a front pocket.) Daniel Fairly’s excellent “Backpacker” model came *very* close to satisfying my requirements, but thus far he has only made these in titanium, which limits its utility in some situations.

On New Year’s Day I decided to order a GiantMouse GMF1, and it arrived a couple of days ago. To make a long story short, I’m *loving* this knife. I won’t carry it every day, but I think it’ll prove very useful for those days when I anticipate tackling jobs that might prove a bit much for the SAK in my left pocket or the small single-blade jack in my right.

View attachment 1261816
Nice piece.
I am interested to hear the exuberant feedback. It looks like a great utility / EDC size.
I remember these when released and like the design, esp the sheath.
Would you be a fan of adding handle scales or keeping it as-is?

Nice piece.
I am interested to hear the exuberant feedback. It looks like a great utility / EDC size.
I remember these when released and like the design, esp the sheath.
Would you be a fan of adding handle scales or keeping it as-is?

Great question. Or at least I think it's a great question, as it is one I asked myself.

The knife is quite thin (4mm), so I wouldn’t want to use it for heavy tasks for an extended period. If I planned to take it to the woods with me I’d definitely want to add handle scales. There is at least one person I know of who produces scales that will still permit the knife to fit into its excellent sheath, but as I already have heavier-duty cutting tools for outdoor tasks I plan to leave it as-is.

I did add a leather thong to give my pinky finger somewhere to go. This is the only photo I have handy; I censored the subforum-inappropriate bits. I thought there was only room in my heart for traditional American slipjoints and SAKs, but I may need to make space for some excellent Danish designers as well.

GMF1.jpg

I thought there was only room in my heart for traditional American slipjoints and SAKs, but I may need to make space for some excellent Danish designers as well.
I know what you mean. There are times when I would like to have a small yet functional fixed blade that I could put in my pocket. I have also been looking at these knives and sheaths for sometime. I would be very interested to hear how it is working out for you.

Back