Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

88-E446-EA-77-C7-4474-A54-A-BE678-B915-EEC.jpg
Beautiful wood on that #78. :cool::thumbsup:

Great question. Or at least I think it's a great question, as it is one I asked myself.

The knife is quite thin (4mm), so I wouldn’t want to use it for heavy tasks for an extended period. If I planned to take it to the woods with me I’d definitely want to add handle scales. There is at least one person I know of who produces scales that will still permit the knife to fit into its excellent sheath, but as I already have heavier-duty cutting tools for outdoor tasks I plan to leave it as-is.

I did add a leather thong to give my pinky finger somewhere to go. This is the only photo I have handy; I censored the subforum-inappropriate bits. I thought there was only room in my heart for traditional American slipjoints and SAKs, but I may need to make space for some excellent Danish designers as well.

View attachment 1262220
Thanks for your take on the scales issue.
I suppose adding anything of substance would make the sheath a bit unworkable. Perhaps soaking it to see if it would stretch would be an option, but sounds like a great little package as-is.
Enjoy it :thumbsup:

I have found that nylon tape or neoprene tape makes an excellent wrap for bare knives or those for which you need to add better grip. The tape provides great anti slip, come is a range of colors AND importantly, as it sticks to itself as you wrap it - can be easily removed later without leaving behind any adhesive residue. Surprisingly will last quite a long time between change out. I really like it on machete or other chopper type knives for woods work and have a small JK Hurley Creek - another bare handle knife - that is wrapped with nylon tape to great benefit.

Ray

The "Sandbar" by @Redmeadow Knives
I am the lucky recipient of a generous GAW from the above maker. Thank you Redmeadow!!

The 9-inch blade is in O1, handle scales are red palm with black G10 liners over a nice distal-tapered tang :thumbsup:
I wanna roast a turkey just to carve it up with this beauty!

RM Sandbar Bowie by D P, on Flickr

Redmeadow Sandbar Bowie by D P, on Flickr

Tapered Tang by D P, on Flickr

Just filled a hole in my Schrade wire jack collection. It's a small hawkbill with the 1926 patent date on the tang. As you can see it's somewhat stained and the finger guard is missing the red paint but mechanically it's in excellent condition especially considering its age and what these wire jacks were usually subjected to.IMG_2079-1024x680.JPG

A couple of my latest. Colonel Coon medium stockman, and an unused Parker Frost Bison. Both are excellent examples.
1048841899_o.jpg

That Col Coon is a great looking knife. I have a few of the Parker Frost Bisons myself. Love the bone on them.

Picked up a couple this past week, an older Schrade Walden 825 with grooved bolsters.

CAFF12-D5-CE0-E-4-DF7-961-A-0916938-F1578.jpg

And a really solid Schrade 98OT...

AB8-BE1-FF-E8-AE-48-DC-B7-D4-14702-E5-D328-D.jpg

Both good ones Jim. I like the 98OT, they aren't seen as much as the 825 or 897. All three are functionally the same. The 825's are cool with their razor blade stainless etch and the advertising they did for them. Nostalgia of sorts even though it was before my time.

I should be getting my 61ot today. Not sure why I'm excited considering I already have a couple, but I just really like them.

Both good ones Jim. I like the 98OT, they aren't seen as much as the 825 or 897. All three are functionally the same. The 825's are cool with their razor blade stainless etch and the advertising they did for them. Nostalgia of sorts even though it was before my time.

I should be getting my 61ot today. Not sure why I'm excited considering I already have a couple, but I just really like them.

Paul, I really think that pattern could’ve replaced the 34OT I carried for so many years if I would’ve had one back then. Not too big,not too small. As far as your newest 61OT, looking forward to some photos.

Paul, I really think that pattern could’ve replaced the 34OT I carried for so many years if I would’ve had one back then. Not too big,not too small. As far as your newest 61OT, looking forward to some photos.

The slim stockmans certainly are handy.

Here is the 61ot. It is a bit ugly, having been used and then polished, and the delrin has faded in color a little on the edges. I will see if I can bring the color back. It's tight and snappy and the blades are all there so I feel like it was a good purchase, especially at the price.

IMG_6582.JPG IMG_6583.JPG

I stopped by Cabelas this afternoon just to browse around a bit... I was looking for a Buck 303 Cadet, which they did not have. While looking through the drawer full of knives not out on display, the sales guy mentioned "this one is a whittler". I didn't know buck made a whittler.... it ended up following me home. It's not a bad looking little knife... a 310, black sawcut delrin, made in USA. Main is a clip, with a pen and coping for secondaries. It is a 3 full spring knife. All in all it is a very nice, tidy little whittler.
It also came with a cute little wooden box with a sliding lid to keep it in...

iwxeoq.jpg
iwxSBD.jpg

iwxv8A.jpg

Back