Your opinions why the ZT 0909 only lasted one year?

I bought a few of the discontinued ZTs this year and this one is the one that's ended up in my pocket most days. It cuts well, the handle is comfortable, deployment feels good, and the liner lock is thicker than the cutouts in most frame locks. I doubt it's a weaker knife in any way than comparably built and priced frame locks. The clip holds it in my pocket and hasn't bent or scratched anything so I'm fine with it. I wish I'd picked up another at 99 last week.

I still need to pick one up before they are gone. only thing I don't like on the 0909 is the pocket clip. I prefer deep carry on all my knives but that can easily be fixed. I'm bummed I missed them for $99 last week. I saw it on Black Friday but they were already sold out online.

edit: aaaaand I bought one.

Last edited:
I picked the 0909 up on a whim. It really wasn't impressive to look at, but I have a few ZTs and like their quality and build styles. It was on sale, so it was a decent deal. It arrived last week here in Afghanistan (I didn't get the $99 deal though:() Anyways, I was pretty shocked when it did arrive and the design is growing on me. Typical of ZT, it's built like a bank-vault, even with a liner lock. The blade shape actually has more "belly" than it looks like and it's quite utilitarian. Scales were well done (no sharp edges) and quite comfortable in the hand. It's pretty obvious this isn't a flashy knife; it's a users blade. Marketing has to generate a stir, and I assume those that actually have this blade are out using it and not posting clean, unmarred pictures of the blade from inside their cozy domicile. The folder is overly-built and heavy, and the materials are nothing exotic...I'm learning it's simply a user's knife and it has proven fit that role quite well. It's a better EDC for those who wear combat gear to work every morning and not the three-piece suit office environment...which I can understand. Placed along side most other folders, this is just that ugly bully that will likely get selected to do all the dirty work.

I would like the 0909 a lot more if it was a thumb stud opener on washers instead of bearings, like my 0200s which have fantastic actions. For me the 0900 is the best ZT/George knife.

i.ashx

I think it suffered from the same problems the 0200 and 0550 had - it was kinda ugly everywhere, ungainly heavy, and the overall form wasn't particularly well-suited to general EDC tasks. The whole concept of "hard use" seems to be losing traction in the community, probably because a sharp brick is only practical if you're cutting tires all day and you want a sturdy and plain knife you don't mind marring - but they don't offer much of an incentive to pocket them over 100+ other knives otherwise.

Also, nut-pivots seem to be the signal that the folder is going to die a fast death. The Emerson collabs, the 0200, and this knife all have them, and it's not a feature I have seen many people note as a positive.

In short, the materials and form are unimpressive, the market for a work knife of those specifications is extremely limited, and there is such a glut of competitively-priced S35VN bearing flippers that it ends up getting lost in the noise because of how unremarkable it is all around. Add on top of that the weight and clip-placement problems, and it's just born to fail.

I really like the blade. That got me looking into purchasing one. But it went down hill when I saw the overall size of the knife, weight, linerlock and pocket clip. Nothing wrong with a liner lock. I like zt’s framelocks tho and buy other brands with linerlocks.

Last edited:
just got one for the $99 deal. before reading this thread my first opinions were hard to open (smoothing out now after a few days) and the edges of handles needs some jimping its too smooth for a good grip. just my 2cents

The actual Les George Talos (the knife the 909 is profiled acter) is actually very nice. The thickness, weight, crappy clip all detract from the original design

I held this knife at a trade show and was shocked at how heavy it was. I actually liked everything else about it, though.

I think it suffered from the same problems the 0200 and 0550 had - it was kinda ugly everywhere, ungainly heavy, and the overall form wasn't particularly well-suited to general EDC tasks. The whole concept of "hard use" seems to be losing traction in the community, probably because a sharp brick is only practical if you're cutting tires all day and you want a sturdy and plain knife you don't mind marring - but they don't offer much of an incentive to pocket them over 100+ other knives otherwise.

Also, nut-pivots seem to be the signal that the folder is going to die a fast death. The Emerson collabs, the 0200, and this knife all have them, and it's not a feature I have seen many people note as a positive.

In short, the materials and form are unimpressive, the market for a work knife of those specifications is extremely limited, and there is such a glut of competitively-priced S35VN bearing flippers that it ends up getting lost in the noise because of how unremarkable it is all around. Add on top of that the weight and clip-placement problems, and it's just born to fail.

I stated in a previous post,

Look at the handle and blade shape of the 909 vs the 804. Both were in their line up at the same time. I think they might have thought they were too similar and had to can one model.
medium_243747718-zero-tolerance-zt-0909-flipper-les-george-collaboration-nib.jpg

ZT0804.jpg

They probably thought these two knives were too similar.

I picked the 0909 up on a whim. It really wasn't impressive to look at, but I have a few ZTs and like their quality and build styles. It was on sale, so it was a decent deal. It arrived last week here in Afghanistan (I didn't get the $99 deal though:() Anyways, I was pretty shocked when it did arrive and the design is growing on me. Typical of ZT, it's built like a bank-vault, even with a liner lock. The blade shape actually has more "belly" than it looks like and it's quite utilitarian. Scales were well done (no sharp edges) and quite comfortable in the hand. It's pretty obvious this isn't a flashy knife; it's a users blade. Marketing has to generate a stir, and I assume those that actually have this blade are out using it and not posting clean, unmarred pictures of the blade from inside their cozy domicile. The folder is overly-built and heavy, and the materials are nothing exotic...I'm learning it's simply a user's knife and it has proven fit that role quite well. It's a better EDC for those who wear combat gear to work every morning and not the three-piece suit office environment...which I can understand. Placed along side most other folders, this is just that ugly bully that will likely get selected to do all the dirty work.

Great post! Agree with all of it. I wonder when I see all the negativity about the actual knife and its use just how many that have posted on this thread own and have used this knife for a few months.

A user, it is.

Not all of us use our EDC knives to cut bread crusts, open envelopes, cut a thread from a rogue shirt seam or do light food prep. I have other knives for all of those tasks. When I did a 10 year stint in financial management I carried three or four different folders that had blades from an inch and a quarter to two inches and they did all of those things well. That is not the role of this knife.

This knife is perfectly suited for my construction daily duties. Certainly not for everyone, but it has its place. And since it is at closeout prices, to me, it is a bargain. No doubt in my mind this one might last the rest of my life.

Robert

I stated in a previous post,

Look at the handle and blade shape of the 909 vs the 804. Both were in their line up at the same time. I think they might have thought they were too similar and had to can one model.
medium_243747718-zero-tolerance-zt-0909-flipper-les-george-collaboration-nib.jpg

ZT0804.jpg

They probably thought these two knives were too similar.
Didn't they kill off both of them? My two favourites of their 2017 line up coincidentally...

I'm probably wrong, never mind me lol.

804 is still in stock on ZT's website. It doesn't say it is disco'ed.

So maybe I am right, they are too similar. But one is a liner lock one is a framelock.

Idk I'm surprised the 909 didn't stick around longer considering how popular and desirable Les George knives where when it came out. I wonder how it did in sales.

I know it's considered boring nowadays, but I prefer thumbstuds or thumbholes and washers for hard use knives

I just picked up a 2nd gen 0909. I have to say, that it is quickly becoming one of my favorite EDC knives. However, if you don't use a particular technique for the flipper tab, and even the liner lock, you could experience a little pain.

Also, I think many people prefer the saber grip-centric styles. However, I prioritize hammer grip ergos, which this knife has. It's also not for fidgeters. Once you learn how it likes to be handled, though, it's a great knife. Lastly, at $180+, I prefer other knives which seem more refined. At the discontinued price, it's a monster.

My opinion and analogies... If the Rat 1 folder was Bruce Banner, the 0909 would be the Hulk. If the BM 570 was a Lincoln Navigator, the 0909 would be a no cab F350 dually with a Powestroke Diesel.

Back