<<BECKERHEAD BEACHBODIES>> ;) *MYB* G~A~W !! {not just for fitness pros....}

Rested Saturday. Yesterday I ripped up most of my backyard. I dug a base for my shed stairs, layed the rock and sand then bricked it. Then more sand. Reused my brick / rock stairs form the house. Had to move them across the yard (at almost 200lbs each) there were four. Then spent the afternoon swinging a hatchet and burning Cedars. Great non conventional workout. I'm tired today, but will start on my deck later!

Where is everyone at?? No activity since Monday??
Every day I've been putting in 12+ hour days landscaping and building the deck in my backyard. Every day working till sore. My hands are shredded and blistered, back and feet hurt, knees hurt lol. Doing desk work has made me soft lol. I'm guessing I shouldn't be doing half the things I am, but I haven't felt my injury so I just keep going .

How is everyone else doing? Swimming improving Mike? Still getting that extra movement in Vik? Still rocking those workouts guys?

Hey TBL, I've got tons of yard work for you after you're done...:)

Actually we did our backyard this weekend, got every moved outta the shed, trimmed and fertilized everything that needed it, so not much actual exercise done, but tiring nonetheless. Tuesday went for a short walk with la pooch. Oilers bounced outta the playoffs last night so no more excuses not to go out for walks and stuff...

Dug out and pitched away a stretch of watercress roughly 50 yards long and 8 yards wide. It hadn't been cleared in two years and it was so thick it took around 7 hours to clean it up.

Last week was a long tough week - only worked out once. Did the stationary bike and some yoga/stretching. Hoping this week is a lil better. :)

more work on my buddy's fence today, moving a brush pile, trimming a couple trees that were hanging over the fence, and loading the new raised bed garden with rotted manure, topsoil, & wood chips.
then home to fix SWMBO a late lunch followed by mowing the lawn.

Hello, everybody - I apologize for being AWOL from my own damned thread....Had a great time at the Northeast Gathering a couple weekends ago, then I been like,

giphy.gif

BUT....I will do the 1st GAW (that I promised more than a week ago) shortly after I post this. Look for more info in post #2.

I have not been doing much for "conventional" workouts; I have been mowing the lawn on our hillside lot, constructing a 16' x 14' series of raised beds:

34576846141_d37a7b791c_b.jpg

moving, a yard of mulch out of the garden space, wheelbarrow down the hill to the back of the house (I stopped counting trips) and moving 3 yards (out of the 4 I got) of dirt into the beds AND raking it out. Plenty of calories burned. Exercising with beer - what could be more efficient...and delicious? Still....need to get some saddle time before the ADA ride 2nd weekend of June. Tonight was awesome - and please don't try to picture this in your imagination, cause I ain't responsible for any
psychoses that may cause - but it was warm enough tonight to work shirtless. So I did. The older I've gotten and the more "out of shape" I've gotten, the more reticent I've become to take off my shirt. I live on a pretty active walking route (folks walking the 2 mile loop around our tidal estuary) and I definitely thought twice about it - then a third time, FGM - but in the end, decided, eff it. It's been unusually cool for this time of year, so this evening was an absolute gift - outside, working....the late evening sun and the warm air on my skin...just absorbing the birdsong and the sounds of the neighborhood: cardinals, wrens, robins and sparrows (and plenty of others unidentifiable), someone with a chainsaw going, gulls squawking, a motorcycle with really loud pipes, squirrels nattering at..something, the microbrewery across the "pond", the canada geese - they are SO. LOUD.....I guess this is why I've been somewhat absent....too much to take in, in the world around me....

.....and I have an *only so slight* tendency to [STRIKE]waste[/STRIKE] spend a lot of time "crafting" posts, thinking about...yeah, not going there.

GAW is a BRAND NEW, BK-13 - AKA the Remora. I'll contact the wiener, but check post #2 for info. Also, I still have a couple pairs of brand new, with tags, cycling shorts, size L. ADA logos, but they're really nice shorts. Never gonna use 'em.

Teaser:

33898074873_84375d0d4b_b.jpg

Nice to see so many folks participating. Thank you, friends.

Damn, I better not show my wife shots of your raised bed...looks awesome tho!

Need to check in more...Saturday was spent out at a lake with my float tube fly fishing. In the rain. Haven't dug that thing out for probably 10 years. Good times. So probably 4 hours of me with fins on kicking myself around the lake. Surprisingly good leg workout.

Sunday was a bike ride around the neighborhood with the rugrat. Probably 5kms.

My hand is still messed up - talk about annoying....
I've been able to do some light weights and pushups; but the hand fails before the muscle group involved. Still no stick drills; and I have no idea when it will be able to sustain impact without totally f-ing it up, so no punches.
Walking/hiking, planks twice daily, and miscellaneous things (depending on my mood & pain levels) continue.
Ortho follow-up still pending.

Lol Aikiguy, my wife has more work for me after this I'm sure :p

Here is how she started (kinda, I did rip out 18x7 square feet of cedars)
IMG_20170414_180621133_zpsunv9vtgr.jpg

IMG_20170414_180635405_zpszi4hgxzv.jpg

Then I dug the weeper
IMG_20170415_172433297_zpszhj1fuc6.jpg

installed the weeper and added 4 yards of crushed rock. moved by 40L bucket because of how close my air conditioner is to the fence. Then got the support posts drilled and got my support beams ready.

IMG_20170509_135213155_zpsj6xbecve.jpg

skip ahead until the end because screwing down boards is tiring.

IMG_20170515_194516477_zps5ol3gt8n.jpg

IMG_20170515_194634275_zpsijtpu34b.jpg

You can see the area that I excavated beside the house with shovel and bucket... going to eventually put a boardwalk to match the deck down there.

I finished it all up on Monday, rested yesterday. Today I'm back at it again... ran just over 2 miles and working on my physio. Its a little tight after all the work I did. Not enough time stretching during the deck build.

Love the raised gardens Mike! I may have to borrow your layout for an idea for beside the hot tub :D

Congrats Aikiguy!

Those yards look great!!!
Been a while since I needed to create a raised bed. And I can never get things flat, straight and level enough to do a deck like that. Jealous.

Was out East all last week, working a "split" shift in the plant that started about 10am and was lucky to be over by 10:30pm.
No time for leisurely strolls, but walked 4 miles a day just from site to site. Tried to eat well.
Saturday was spent on planes. Sunday was stuffing face with family at Mother's Day Brunch, then driving for hours and hours.
Took Monday off - from work and "exercise". Wound up doing yard work and hit my 4 miles target!
Yesterday was volleyball night.
Kinda weird, I actually miss my hilly neighborhood walk with the lump backpack - so should get back to it tonight.

Last edited:
Today:
A minute of plank;
About 6 minutes various yoga stretches;
9000 steps; 2.5 miles of that with the 15 lb pack.

Getting things level and straight just takes time and a ton of measurements. The reason it took me so long was because we measured everything 3-5 times before cutting lol. Over my entire span I was only off by 1/2 inch :D

3.7 mile run with the dog this morning followed by physio exercises and stretching!

Congrats Aikiguy!

Last edited:
didn't feel like getting up this morning. I wanted to stay in bed and sleep. ended up getting up and running 2.5 miles then doing some stretching. Coffee is a must sometime today......

Family got together yesterday. We went for a walk around the lake 1.5miles, then the kids played at the parks while I got to talk to my siblings. Was a good time!

Today we're going swimming later this afternoon!

Other then that its going to be nothing but rest! my body wants it!

Thanks everyone!

Back from volunteering at daughters scout camp. A few hikes over the weekend (3-6kms?), plus lots of mental anguish lol. Important part is that I, er, I mean, all the kids survived unscathed.

Kids surviving is a good thing. :thumbsup:

I spent the day burning down more of the cedars leftover from the big cut. Also built 3 frames 12.5x5 feet to start off my boardwalk. Then moved all the wood from one side of the yard to the other so I got working room for the boardwalk. Then I moved some 24inch patio stone from the back of the yard to the front. Then i planned out a planter box... tomorrow back at it again!

I hiked at least 2 miles with a full backpack to get to a campsite this last weekend, it's not much but technically it's something.

Considering how I ate on the trip I doubt I gained anything fitness-wise.

Was too tired to get up this morning so I slept in. Made up for it with a 2.5mile run with the dog this evening. Tomorrow morning will be a challenge to get up lol

Back