Besides CPK knives, whaddaya like?

Thanks for sharing that one Bob, my favorite Warenski of all time. Never gets boring to see. If I get rich....

Thanks for sharing that one Bob, my favorite Warenski of all time. Never gets boring to see. If I get rich....

It has one of the most delicately carved handles Julie has done, IMHO. But the dagger is only 11" overall. There are some really stupendous Warenskis, with overall length being one of many key attributes when attempting to value them. Consider what is at the top of the scale, the solid gold King Tut Dagger. I cannot remember who should receive attribution for the image, or I would assign it, sorry. Owned by Phil Lobred, recently deceased, the producer of the Art Knife Invitational held every other year in San Diego.

large.jpg

(not a user)

Last edited:
Several knives I've posted in this thread have a comment about my having sold them, sometimes recovered them in trades or commented that I should never have sold, because i really loved it. Here is a knife (previously shown in this thread) I should never have sold but just got back in a trade with a friend - and will never sell it again (I hope). I hesitated, but decided that I would re-post it again, but with information about it that some might find interesting and perhaps enlightening.

If you want to really learn about knives, you need to learn about Bob Loveless, seriously. He is why full tapered tangs exist. He is why micarta is used in knifemaking. He pioneered better steels in knives. He is credited for having made the first "Tactical Knife". And most knifemakers would agree he influenced how knives became made, moreso than any other person. After all, "he wrote the book" - "How to Make Knives" by Bob Loveless. Take two minutes and read the link below:

http://knifetalkin.blogspot.com/2013/06/robert-waldorf-loveless-inventor-with.html

You could look a very long time and never find another Archer style Loveless Classic Chute (the chute knife is Bob Loveless' design, no one else's) with all of these rarity factors and condition:

1) Loveless Classic Chute aka Loveless Archer Chute, c. 1974*
2) Wide bolsters, stainless bolts - probably the only Archer Chute with this configuration, according to John Denton
3) Brass nameplate on tang behind guard
4) "True" Lignum Vitae (not "Argentine" L.V.) scales - listed "endangered" in 1998 - and the hardest and heaviest wood in the world, 50% harder than African Blackwood
5) Outstanding condition for circa 70's Chute
6) Original sheath but with Lawndale stamp (see below*), matching shop number on ricasso and sheath

* John Denton ( who Steve Johnson names as the greatest living authority on Loveless Knives) says "This is certainly made in about 1974, as Steve Johnson told me that when they moved to Riverside, they still used the Leather stamped log from Lawndale, even though the knife says riverside, the logo on the leather is just R.W. Loveless Maker, that was lawndale leather stamp, they just used it for a few months." This dates it to 1974. Per Steve Johnson, he recalls working on the prototype of the Chute around 1971. Loveless told John Denton that he stopped putting the pole holes in the guard in 1975/1976 as a chute model feature. So dating of 1974 is consistent with all other facts.

1975 Loveless catalog section of optional upgrades also pictured below, thanks to Jim Treacy

large.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Loveless also revolutionized knife design by making a stronger knife. He did it by installing the guard from the front, as opposed to the back, which allowed for a full tang and a guard all in one package. To offset the additional weight of the full tang, it wasn't just tapered, but also hollow ground.
Brilliant dude, quite the thinker.

Thank you Betzner for the education. Although I don't consider myself a collector and probably never will be I really enjoy and appreciate the knives you post and your passion for them.

I don't have any pictures on this phone of
My custom made Polaris model with a 5
Inch blade and S7 steel from Scott Gossman
And I also have a psk model in O1 from
Scott as well and I know that my is one of
A kind cause the gossman Polaris is
Regularly made with a 4 inch blade and in
O1,A2,D2 or 154cpm and mine has a 5 inch
Blade and is made out of S7 steel

Several knives i've posted in this thread have a comment about my having sold them, sometimes recovered them in trades or commented that I should never have sold, because i really loved it. Here is a knife (previously shown in this thread) I should never have sold but just got back in a trade with a friend - and will never sell it again (I hope). I hesitated, but decided that I would re-post it again, but with information about it that some might find interesting and perhaps enlightening.

If you want to really learn about knives, you need to learn about Bob Loveless, seriously. He is why full tapered tangs exist. He is why micarta is used in knifemaking. He pioneered better steels in knives. He is credited for having made the first "Tactical Knife". And most knifemakers would agree he influenced how knives became made, moreso than any other person. After all, "he wrote the book" - "How to Make Knives" by Bob Loveless. Take two minutes and read the link below:

http://knifetalkin.blogspot.com/2013/06/robert-waldorf-loveless-inventor-with.html

You could look a very long time and never find another Archer style Loveless Classic Chute (the chute knife is Bob Loveless' design, no one else's) with all of these rarity factors and condition:

1) Loveless Classic Chute aka Loveless Archer Chute, pre-1980 --- pre-Merritt and post-Johnson
2) Wide bolsters, stainless bolts
3) Brass nameplate on tang behind guard
4) "True" Lignum Vitae (not "Argentine" L.V.) scales - listed "endangered" in 1998 - and the hardest and heaviest wood in the world, 50% harder than African Blackwood
5) Outstanding condition for circa 70's Chute
6) Original sheath, matching shop number on ricasso and sheath

large.jpg

That is very interesting thanks for sharing !
I love that pattern one day I'll have to have
Someone make me a knife that is modeled
After the loveless archer chute knife just
Looking at it makes me think of Phillip Patton
or T.K. Steingass as two of the people that I
Think could produce a knife that matches bob's
Quality...

Frank

Charles Vestal, Ricardo Romano and Marcus Lin are three top of the heap Loveless devotees (not listed in order of perfection) you might want to check out before deciding to buy a chute.

A couple more pieces from the DHIII guys, group of 3 , Steam Mill Knives in south central Missouri. They've been harvesting the very best Missouri Black Walnut there for years, and these pieces go to show it:

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Love Don Hanson and Kyle's work. I have 2 customs from them. I would buy that Hunter if it was still available.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Just dug these out of the closet, for cleaning and oiling. Bought them new and never used these. Had another of the small ones that I carried a lot but can't seem to find it. Some of my first handmade knives :) Maker Bill Maynard
Anyhow here's a group pic :)

ZQP84we.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another, different maker Maker Kevin Cross

Gd5PA9z.jpg

7gXbA6I.jpg

nr53ACC.jpg

Sorry for the phone pics

Last edited:
Just dug these out of the closet, for cleaning and oiling. Bought them new and never used these. Had another of the small ones that I carried a lot but can't seem to find it. Some of my first handmade knives :) Maker Bill Maynard
Anyhow here's a group pic :)

ZQP84we.jpg

I briefly had something very close to the model at the bottom. It was a pretty good knife
Bill Maynard just recently passed away, fyi

Ban Tang DE Recurve Mini Bowie in S35VN with black canvas handle.
018d4e27a4885d711b37a3d1c2d38b20.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I briefly had something very close to the model at the bottom. It was a pretty good knife
Bill Maynard just recently passed away, fyi

I didn't know that, sad news to hear.

The knife at the bottom is his SERE knife, if I recall it came in a couple different configurations.

Back