Hapstone V6 - new knife sharpener on the US market

I had kind of sworn off fixed sharpening systems due to their inflexibility compared to freehand sharpening, but I also realize that I've avoided reprofiling any of my knives due to a fear I will screw it up freehand. This system is intriguing after owning the Work Sharp, Wicked Edge, and Edge Pro. Seems like all of the benefits of the Edge Pro (especially the fact that you can readjust the blade) with some of the benefits of the KME/Wicked Edge (also being able to clamp things down). I may just find myself buying one.

Keep the input coming. I have the KME system but am open to new systems that can cut down a bit on the length sharpening time if that's possible. It seems that I spend way too much time to get a knife sharpened to my liking causing me to postpone sharpening just because of the time factor. Probably doesn't matter the system but more likely the person's disposition/personality.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It looks as though the clamp suffers from the same problem as the Wicked Edge 2 - the bottom half is fixed and only the top half adjusts.

If so, this is a problem when clamping FFG blades without packing with bits of foam tape and whatever. It's the reason I sold my WE.

It looks as though the clamp suffers from the same problem as the Wicked Edge 2 - the bottom half is fixed and only the top half adjusts.

If so, this is a problem when clamping FFG blades without packing with bits of foam tape and whatever. It's the reason I sold my WE.

FFG blades are actually the easiest to set up on a table style system, if that helps. Many of the videos I have seen on YouTube of the Hapstone have people forgoing clamping the knives at all.

This is an interesting point I hadn't thought of. So the end result, if I understand correctly, is you are guaranteed an asymmetric bevel between the two sides of the blade edge? But maybe not by very much if the blade body has very slight deviation from being perfectly parallel and equal-thickness in the portion of the blade you apply the clamp jaws to?

Question: For an asymmetric clamp, as long as you clamp a given blade in the same location and same clamp depth each time you sharpen, and get in the habit of always tightening the clamp with the blade handle to the left (or the right if you'd prefer), it would at least be repeatably asymmetric across sharpening sessions, wouldn't it? In other words, you'd always reference the same side of the blade to the stationary part of the clamp jaw.

Does the clamp in the tsprof have 2 symmetric jaws that move equally relative to the blade centerline?

This is an interesting point I hadn't thought of. So the end result, if I understand correctly, is you are guaranteed an asymmetric bevel between the two sides of the blade edge? But maybe not by very much if the blade body has very slight deviation from being perfectly parallel and equal-thickness in the portion of the blade you apply the clamp jaws to?

Question: For an asymmetric clamp, as long as you clamp a given blade in the same location and same clamp depth each time you sharpen, and get in the habit of always tightening the clamp with the blade handle to the left (or the right if you'd prefer), it would at least be repeatably asymmetric across sharpening sessions, wouldn't it? In other words, you'd always reference the same side of the blade to the stationary part of the clamp jaw.

When clamping FFG the blade tends to skew as the clamp is tightened. The amount of skew is not always the same. Most users overcome this by packing out one side until the blade is vertical (wicked edge) or horizontal (in this case). Others work out the differing angles with an angle cube. At the price point I don't want to be doing this.

Does the clamp in the tsprof have 2 symmetric jaws that move equally relative to the blade centerline?

In theory, yes. The clamp should be adjustable so that both sides are in line with the plane of the blade, even for FFG. This would be a big improvement over Wicked Edge 2 or 3 but I don't have one so I can't say if it works. There was a diagram posted somewhere of the TsProf jaws but I can't find it now.

Is the main advantage to this the ability to sharpen longer blades? Or is it simply a firmer more stable way of holding the blade no matter the size?
Clamp system gives consistent angles in every point but it's not universal.
Extra long blades > 20cm - if clamped, the sharpening angle will be very different in the center and near the tip. It's better to use working table and move the knife.
Blades which are difficult clamp - working table with 3 point guide will give more precision.

The problem exists because it's fundamental drawback of any clamped system. There are knives which are difficult to clamp without wobble, and the knife is never centered. However, in practice it's not big deal. Unlike WE, Hapstone uses flexible jaws with better grip. If you flip the knife frequently, the angle consistency in any point is MUCH MORE important than angle asymmetry.

LanskyFFGClamp.png
P1010008.jpg

The problem exists because it's fundamental drawback of any clamped system. There are knives which are difficult to clamp without wobble, and the knife is never centered. However, in practice it's not big deal. Unlike WE, Hapstone uses flexible jaws with better grip. If you flip the knife frequently, the angle consistency in any point is MUCH MORE important than angle asymmetry.

LanskyFFGClamp.png
P1010008.jpg

OK I found the diagram of how the Techstudio clamp adjusts to the plane of FFG blades (third drawing in the image below). If this works as described then it's a big improvement over the Wicked Edge and others.

uDvUFlv.jpg

Sell the V6 without any stones for $190 (including shipping) and you've got a deal. ;)

Hey there, Gritomatic. What is the ETA on the Pre-Orders shipping? Will they ship the day that you start selling regular, non-preorder... orders?

Thanks!

Hey there, Gritomatic. What is the ETA on the Pre-Orders shipping? Will they ship the day that you start selling regular, non-preorder... orders?

Hapstone V6 and rotating clamp systems are already in the USA. We need about 1 week for delivery to fulfillment company and prepare to ship. Unfortunately all stone bundles except basic are delayed for few days. My estimation for shipping out is Feb 10th for all Basic bundles and Feb 15th for all other bundles.
All sharpeners from first U.S. shipment will be sold during preorder time, i.e. before start of shipping.

Hapstone V6 and rotating clamp systems are already in the USA. We need about 1 week for delivery to fulfillment company and prepare to ship. Unfortunately all stone bundles except basic are delayed for few days. My estimation for shipping out is Feb 10th for all Basic bundles and Feb 15th for all other bundles.
All sharpeners from first U.S. shipment will be sold during preorder time, i.e. before start of shipping.

Thank you for the update. One further question for you. One of your Facebook posts mentions that the Hapstone will let you use Spyderco Triangle stones. How does that work?

One of your Facebook posts mentions that the Hapstone will let you use Spyderco Triangle stones. How does that work?
Hapstone-with-Spyderco-1-sm.jpgHapstone-with-Spyderco-2-sm.jpg
Spyderco triangles can be easily attached in Hapstone to work with edges. It can be used to sharpen serration.

Last edited:
Hey Gritomatic,

Looks like I missed out on the pre-order. Is there a possible ETA for the next batch, and would it be possible for you to include the dimensions of the entire package (aka in the box) either here or on the product description directly? Am considering sending it to a friend in the US to bring back up to Canada.

Hey Gritomatic,

Looks like I missed out on the pre-order. Is there a possible ETA for the next batch, and would it be possible for you to include the dimensions of the entire package (aka in the box) either here or on the product description directly? Am considering sending it to a friend in the US to bring back up to Canada.

From their FAQ:

WHEN HAPSTONE V6 WILL BE AVAILABLE AGAIN?
We estimate Hasptone V6 Standard will return in U.S. stock in the end of March. International customers will be able to make purchase from russian warehouse.

Hey Gritomatic,
Is there a possible ETA for the next batch, and would it be possible for you to include the dimensions of the entire package (aka in the box) either here or on the product description directly?

Shipping size: 38 x 28 x 7 cm (15" x 11¼" x 3")
Shipping Weight: 2.74 kg (6 lbs)

I'd like to hear people's thoughts as their units arrive - some of my tax return may be going towards one.

Back