Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

I know...a hope against hope. It's personal aesthetics the screws grab my eyes. For instance they will probably look fine in a CF industrial style, but I wonder if they will overwhelm the Abalone. A second run with fancy screws would be nice. Or a last minute screw face lift on the current iteration. A guy can dream?

Understood. I personally cant stand the feel of carbon fiber but if the screws can be anodized to a rich blue or other color it should not take away from abalone that much.

I do wonder whether the screws will be a 'regular' size which would make them far easier to be swapped out for something fancier? For me it's not just the screws but the Ti bolsters which made the choice of CF seem more realistic. Did I mention that I can't wait for this knife? :D

The screw discussion made me go look at the pics again. I don't have any concerns. This is a tradition styled knife using modern materials so using torx screws on a knife with titanium, M390 paired with abalone, rams horn, and stag seems like a fine idea. I don't think pinning would have been in the spirit of this new venture.

Admittedly, I don't have a strong imagination so I'm going to need pics and then have the knives in hand to finalize my opinion.

The screw discussion made me go look at the pics again. I don't have any concerns. This is a tradition styled knife using modern materials so using torx screws on a knife with titanium, M390 paired with abalone, rams horn, and stag seems like a fine idea. I don't think pinning would have been in the spirit of this new venture.

Admittedly, I don't have a strong imagination so I'm going to need pics and then have the knives in hand to finalize my opinion.
I looked at their other knives in those materials using screws they still look good.

This is my sentiment as well. My only constructive criticism would be to have the blade rest deeper in the well so the kick (not sure if that is the correct term) is not so high when closed.

This is my sentiment as well. My only constructive criticism would be to have the blade rest deeper in the well so the kick (not sure if that is the correct term) is not so high when closed.
The kick is the correct term. But, the kick does not act in a similar fashion to other more "traditional" traditionals.
There is a stop pin that the kick hits, as opposed to resting on the spring. This allows the blade to be shut from half stop without worry of blade rap.

Blade rap often occurs when the blade is allowed to snap shut and not lowered from half stop. When this happens, the blade will contact one of two places (the tip may hit the butt of the spring, or the blade may hit the pivot pin/spring in the middle of the handle, where the spring wraps around it). This often causes a roll, but can cause a chip to occur.

I am sure there will be some space for the kick/blade stop to be filed a little, but I would want it in hand for a bit prior to doing so. It is a one blade knife, so there aren't many times when you will be using the knife with the blade closed like you would on a trapper or another multiple bladed pattern.

In 2009 I bought a Queen #51 dogleg, I instantly fell in love with D2.
In 2013 bought a mini 586 , M390 is amazing. It's not really my style of knife but I still find uses for it.
So the dream of a traditional pattern with modern manufacturing methods, screwed together with M390, has been with me for a few years.
I'm not going to suggest what could have been done differently to the knife. I'm happy as a stoned smurf to get this.
I have other single blade knives from 3 1/2" to 4", so the length is not an issue at 3 3/4". With one blade, I'm sure weight is not an issue. I like single blade barlows. All boxes checked. :thumbsup:
I'm a for sure for Cocobolo and CF, now I just have to wait for the second run with a clip blade. :)

The kick is the correct term. But, the kick does not act in a similar fashion to other more "traditional" traditionals.
There is a stop pin that the kick hits, as opposed to resting on the spring. This allows the blade to be shut from half stop without worry of blade rap.

Blade rap often occurs when the blade is allowed to snap shut and not lowered from half stop. When this happens, the blade will contact one of two places (the tip may hit the butt of the spring, or the blade may hit the pivot pin/spring in the middle of the handle, where the spring wraps around it). This often causes a roll, but can cause a chip to occur.

I am sure there will be some space for the kick/blade stop to be filed a little, but I would want it in hand for a bit prior to doing so. It is a one blade knife, so there aren't many times when you will be using the knife with the blade closed like you would on a trapper or another multiple bladed pattern.

Im familar with this info. Just was brain dead today and couldnt think straight.

Im not sure a file down will help as the blade height is just as high when closed. If the kick is filed it will look extremely odd in my opinion. I suppose I just prefer a more sunking joint or a choil if there is going to be this tang height.

Hmmm any traditional pocket folders out there with a 50/50 finger choil? :D:eek::rolleyes::confused:

KBA KBA
I am curious if the kick hits the blade stop. If it does, then the tip should be able to be sunk.

As far as the pivot being sunk, I can only think of one way it Might be possible.

Remove the scales and bolsters, use the liners as a template for a set of full scales, including a bump to cover the tang end of the blade. It would have the front end hump found on a Canoe or a GEC Mako type of thing.

Check out the right side of the pic:
2psoy9i.jpg
Does this seem like it would suit your preferences?

Maybe a Canarlow or a barloe?

NJBillK NJBillK

I appreciate it brother, but Im not looking for another knife I was only stating how I wished the kick of this knife was not as pronounced as it is.

In the video you can see it sticks up higher more so than most in this type of pattern.

KBA KBA
Is this the part you are speaking of?
2017-07-01 16.32.30.jpg
If so, I was curious if a set of scales were made that resembled the knife shown in the prior post, if that would address your point of contention.

With the original scales and bolsters removed, you basically have a blank slate...
If you want it to have a swell to cover that part of the tang (it is called a Backstop), you can have that made.

It might be a bit larger than one would like, but if that is the case, then how about a slight wave shaped rise going from the front of the handle and stopping at the Backsquare (that is the term for that corner I am pointing to.)?
See the pic below for a pic showing my posited "solution".
2017-07-01 16.44.37.jpg

I haven't given that much thought and am not interested in thinking about it all that much in all honesty.

I'm fine with the knife the way it is. I was only stating this point as my only real negative.

As far as creating a solution it would be interesting to see what could be done with your blank slate concept. Though I would have much preferred they had made this knife with more of a sinking joint to keep symmetry.

As far as fixing the kick issue with after market canoe styled or waved bolsters, that's not really for me, but may be for some.

I don't have a picture, but Queen made some Barlows with almost copperhead shaped bolsters.
I don't think that would do this knife any favors. The clean, modern machined look is kind of the point. (In my aesthetic opinion )

Nice to see this cuoce lentamente like a proper sauce. I'm fortunately feeling nicely patient. Just hope I don't miss the call to action when it comes!

i think anxiously waiting means the anticipated timeline is scrapped. there is no advantage in guessing. they will be finished when they are finished.

Back