Lion Steel "Roundhead" Euro-Barlow

I do not believe that the tone and implication of this sentence is justified by his comment. He is after all bemoaning the fact that he and others cannot give you additional business. We can mourn the loss of that ability together without having to make accusations.

Writing as a non US resident who has bought from you before and is eagerly awaiting this one (maybe 3 of them, two for me and one for a friend). I ship to a family member but would not rely or trust a forwarding company either.
My apologies for the inadvertent tone; and I am certainly not implying anything negative. My intended thought was only that when contemplating such decisions and policies, the full impact - known and unknown - need to be considered for all parties involved. I do get communications from international folks periodically that do not understand the complications and do not stay involved in the conversation long enough to gain that understanding and possible alternatives. Again, sorry if it came out wrong. I am knee deep today and shouldn't post if I don't have the time to read it to myself a few times before hitting the button.

I don't really understand the thinking there. There are great companies that will consolidate/re-ship internationally for very economical prices. If I ship you a stag it would cost $120 shipping with Fish and Wildlife paperwork / inspection. If you fill out your own paperwork it would cost $20. Plus you can ship several orders from different places together. In 2017, there are alternate solutions to these problems that are no longer problems. I do understand that it adds a smidge of complexity, but there are thousands of people doing it...
Anyone outside the US that acts like they can't comprehend why a dealer would not want to break the law and send a package "hoping" that it gets thru some other country's customs intact; is just not being honest with themselves. The dealer is the only one taking a risk, on several levels. But I do understand that other dealers do it - and that is alright.

Canadian here, I've not used a third party service in this way but have heard nothing but complaints from people who have,(not knives) extra charges, delays and lost packages. I've ordered from a number of U.S. dealers and for about $10 I get reliable, slow but reliable delivery. The knife in question being made in Europe might be subject to customs charges but that would simply get charged to me upon delivery. I've been charged taxes/duties before this way, (not on a knife) and I'm fine with that. I guess it becomes a problem for the dealer if I refuse the extra charges and it goes back? In any case this method of getting a Roundhead is not for me, perhaps I might try on the exchange if the reviews are favourable, or perhaps they will release something similar to other dealers if successful. In the meantime I got myself an "Enigma Classic" in steel similar to Cruwear, titanium liners, and beautiful maple burl covers. Love it!

Canadian here, I've not used a third party service in this way but have heard nothing but complaints from people who have,(not knives) extra charges, delays and lost packages. I've ordered from a number of U.S. dealers and for about $10 I get reliable, slow but reliable delivery. The knife in question being made in Europe might be subject to customs charges but that would simply get charged to me upon delivery. I've been charged taxes/duties before this way, (not on a knife) and I'm fine with that. I guess it becomes a problem for the dealer if I refuse the extra charges and it goes back? In any case this method of getting a Roundhead is not for me, perhaps I might try on the exchange if the reviews are favourable, or perhaps they will release something similar to other dealers if successful. In the meantime I got myself an "Enigma Classic" in steel similar to Cruwear, titanium liners, and beautiful maple burl covers. Love it!

I would love to have you try one I have heard great things about and report back. PM me if you wouldn't mind.

As I have been checking the Collector Knives website frequently string at the knife I noticed something strange in the lower right corner of the picture. About 2 1/2 inches from the bottom and half an inch from the right border. Does anyone else see it? It looks like a mummified rodent woven into the wicker to mer. What do you see?

Oh dang, there is something creepy there!

As I have been checking the Collector Knives website frequently string at the knife I noticed something strange in the lower right corner of the picture. About 2 1/2 inches from the bottom and half an inch from the right border. Does anyone else see it? It looks like a mummified rodent woven into the wicker to mer. What do you see?
You mean the Knife Gremlin?

16403419_1540688979292667_7422808559020217062_o-1.jpg

I saw that but didn't understand that. Do we need to re-reserve?
I think it means that if you made your early reservation before 7/23/17, you don't have to re-reserve it on the new site.
Am I reading it right, knifeswapper knifeswapper ?

I'm waiting patiently, but I'm very excited to try out M390. That's a new steel for me.

I think it means that if you made your early reservation before 7/23/17, you don't have to re-reserve it on the new site.
Am I reading it right, knifeswapper knifeswapper ?

It means if you made a reservation anywhere at any time, it is good. It seems A) my wording on everything lacks, because it always confuses; and B) People don't have much faith in my ability to plan and maintain their information ;>

We have faith Mike :). I think those of us who are interested in this Barlow are just REALLY excited about it.

For what its worth, I understood what was written. I have faith in you to keep it straight, as well.

Its just hard to wait and easy to complain about!:D

Last edited:
For what its worth, I understood what was written. I have faith in you to keep it straight, as well.
What I am starting to wonder about is Lionsteels ability to project a reasonably accurate timeline for production.:D

I sympathize with the producers and the suppliers of a product as eagerly awaited as this knife. Everyone in the process gets ambitious with expectations of production dates. Everybody wants to please, but it's the guys on the production floor, this time in Italy, who have to produce to meet sometimes overly ambitious delivery forecasts.
A friend of mine who worked for me, when asked "When will it be done" used to reply "It'll be done when it gets done". He meant no disrespect, and no attempt at humor. He just stated that that was the most honest answer he could give. He was right. He'd been burned too many times by his own overly ambitious answers. Hey, the anticipation is half (or maybe just a little bit less) of the fun!

It means if you made a reservation anywhere at any time, it is good. It seems A) my wording on everything lacks, because it always confuses; and B) People don't have much faith in my ability to plan and maintain their information ;>
It isn't a lack of faith but a sense of fear in losing out. For myself I understood or I understood it to mean any Early Reserves you created and setup prior to 7/23 are on the old system until they close and any new ones you put up will go on the new system.

Back