Survival knife ?

I am down for a preorder before any are sold. I've been wanting one of these since I saw the drawings.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but will the final version of this knife have a lanyard hole in the butt end similar to the EDC and LC?
Thanks for the video Lorien!
I really like how beefy & burly the scales appear to be!

I would be down for a preorder simply due to the fact I have missed out every time there was a friday sale.

I've seen more hard feelings brought about by preorder issues than any other one thing during my time on BF, so I guess I'd ask what the upside is for CPK to do a preorder this early. Certainly it is Nathan's call, I'm just mindful of preorders gone bad elsewhere, and would advise caution amid the excitement. Carry on!

Dave, if CPK's past performance on fulfilling preorders can be used as a predictor for future preorder offerings, it would be sound to assume that CPK will probably be ahead of their own originally anticipated completion of their preorders. IIRC, on the FK preorder list which Nathan actually let go past waaay beyond its original 25 preorder units (was well up to high 40's with revisions and additions) that list breezed through in less than 4 months! Ostensibly, Nathan had also mentioned that the LC preorder was coming along quite nicely and was ahead of schedule.

Most likely, we will not have a preorder list before the LCs are all outta door and also once a couple of Friday sales cycles have been implemented, but I genuinely think that with the current level of enthusiasm as displayed by the forum regulars and multiple units purchasers, to breeze through selling 100 x these soon-to-be-named camp knives will not be an overestimate on my part. I think if Nathan offered say 50 of these on only one Friday sale plus an immediate preorder follow up, the sales thread will fill up in about two minutes and the rest will overflow into the preorder list. I am certain that CPK currently does not have the capacity for that 50 + 50 distribution. This is indeed a very nice problem to have for a small family operated manufacturing Co and in no way shape or form this is a parallel of what went on with the other brand which followed a completely different business plan based on capacities or there lack of. Nathan had to be literally arm twisted at first to even consider a preorder list and we were all on our best behavior in the fear of not having him pull the plug on that heavily lobbied request :D

I got in on the FK preorder and was grateful for it as I was never able to try for the sales at the time. I'm definitely in for a preorder on this as yet unnamed blade.

The Friday sales are fun as is but it would be nice to see a one blade per buyer rule.

I'm not necessarily in disagreement with what you wrote above Mat. I like well done preorders like Nate has run in the past, and took advantage of the FK preorder. I guess what has me concerned is that things are changing; CPK is growing, the word is out. They are in an excellent position right now, and I only want to see it get better for them. Also, you alluded to a preorder a little later on, whereas in my mind the question was a more immediate preorder.

If the question is 'what's good for CPK' and the answer is 'manage a preorder for the new knife' then I'm all for it. Nathan's excellent judgment has got him this far, and I trust both his ability and integrity, let there be no question there. Just food for thought. (I'd put a smiley face here, but that new one is just so doofy!)

I'm not necessarily in disagreement with what you wrote above Mat. I like well done preorders like Nate has run in the past, and took advantage of the FK preorder. I guess what has me concerned is that things are changing; CPK is growing, the word is out. They are in an excellent position right now, and I only want to see it get better for them. Also, you alluded to a preorder a little later on, whereas in my mind the question was a more immediate preorder.

If the question is 'what's good for CPK' and the answer is 'manage a preorder for the new knife' then I'm all for it. Nathan's excellent judgment has got him this far, and I trust both his ability and integrity, let there be no question there. Just food for thought. (I'd put a smiley face here, but that new one is just so doofy!)
My guess is nothing will be offered until after Blade regardless! :cool:

Dave, both you and I are on the same wavelength and I was not even thinking that your opinion was a dissension of sorts. I was also merely highlighting some observations since I luckily fell upon the CPK brand. One area of concern, not that it has anything to do with me personally or my livelihood, is the fact that a few people have already stated that they have or had pretty much given up on the idea of scoring one of Nathan's knives at MSRP. Heck, even those offered on the secondary market do not normally last for more than a handful of minutes.

Personally speaking, I have no concerns about getting scrappy and hope to land one of these during the Fridays sales because my track record on being able to score a CPK which there have been more than a mere handful, or the unique one off item, has been generally a successful track record. But then again I am semi retired, work for myself and I am around my computer almost every Friday at Noon Pacific time. I may not be the fastest keyboard ninja on here (you know who you are!) but give or take a few spots higher or lower, by hook or by crook, I have been fortunate enough to land more than my own fair share, some of which I have passed up on or passed on forward after acquiring them ;)

I was trying to convey the message that a preorder list at some no so distant future point, after a couple of Fridays sales and after Blade 2017, will give enormous hope and opportunity to those who have all but given up on buying directly from Nathan.

By Mat - "I was trying to convey the message that a preorder list at some no so distant future point, after a couple of Fridays sales and after Blade 2017, will give enormous hope and opportunity to those who have all but given up on buying directly from Nathan."

I think it's wishful thinking to consider anything other than the point made right here. I imagine Nathan has a great deal going on, and to add to what he has is probably a near impossibility. A couple Friday sales after Blade 2017 and it will be ON again, IMHO.

I was trying to convey the message that a preorder list at some no so distant future point, after a couple of Fridays sales and after Blade 2017, will give enormous hope and opportunity to those who have all but given up on buying directly from Nathan.

I absolutely agree with this my friend. I was just able to grab a bite of dinner, and still have invoicing to get done before tomorrow's deliveries, so don't take my tone for anything more than 'rushed.' Cheers.

I'm just really looking forward to seeing these knives get out there, and finding out how they work for people

Is there a suggestion thread for names? How bout TSK? TSK as in (T)he (S)urvival (K)nife. Or TASK as in (T)he (A)bsolute (S)urvival (K)nife. Or simply SK as in (S)urvival (K)nife.

I think it should actually be called the Survival Knife, but those close in the CPK circle should refer to it as the Fluffer. I'm cool with one knife per person on a Friday sale as long as we can order multiple handles. I'm also ok with a nonrefundable Preorder right now as long as we can order multiple handles. This will make it better for people who keep changing their damn mind.

Is there a suggestion thread for names? How bout TSK? TSK as in (T)he (S)urvival (K)nife. Or TASK as in (T)he (A)bsolute (S)urvival (K)nife. Or simply SK as in (S)urvival (K)nife.

There was a name-the-knife thread a couple months ago that was open for a few weeks and subsequently closed. The thread was I tended to come up with something specifically other than SK because it's too close to the other company! name. There are a few hundred suggestions ranging from comically absurd, to downright awesome, and somehow Nathan is supposed to decide. The winner gets a place in history.

I'd be happy to sign up with a pre-order right now.

(In fact I'd sign up for pretty much anything Nathan makes, but that's a different discussion...)

I'm also ok with a non-refundable pre-order. It would be cool if there were some friday sales too though.

Back