Will there be a 2017 forum knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely done on the visual aids btb01 btb01 and Rookie82 Rookie82

Pretty certain still that regardless of the handle material, it is going to be a fantastic looking knife. I think that TC bolster can make anything look good.

I'm all ready to vote and remove some dollars from my piggy bank. I vote for giving my money to the person I need to give it to and them send me one of this years TC Barlow forum knives. All of the mention colors and materials would be awesome I think possibly some initially more aesthetically pleasing than others but my understanding is that micarta can develop a seasoned look kind of like cast iron that over time the better looking ones up front may look worse than the other options. Again my opinion is all look good enough for me to buy one.

Well I gotta say that is spectacular burlap.... just sayin....
And see, I do not like that AT ALL. :thumbsdown: So it really is DSFDF.
Red linen micarta can look very nice. Here is a SAK that I redid in red linen micarta, many moons ago.

micsak3.jpg

micsak4.jpg

However, that looks really cool to me. :thumbsup:

Sorry guys, I started working on this and then ended up with the flu for a few days. Barrett already beat me to it, but I thought I would post this anyways, showing the potential 5 handle choices that Charlie mentioned.

Wow. Awesome mock-ups. Seriously sensational. I have 4 of those 5 covers, and your pics look very representative. Personally, I'd be overjoyed be either of the canvas options. The OD green canvas looks much better than I expected.

Great job Rookie82 thank you and I hope your feeling better.Like many I'd buy a few of them tomorrow if I could but I have to say ((Natural Canvas)) is still kicking ass and taking names to me :rolleyes::thumbsup::D

Sorry guys, I started working on this and then ended up with the flu for a few days. Barrett already beat me to it, but I thought I would post this anyways, showing the potential 5 handle choices that Charlie mentioned.

Thank you for this mockup of all of them together. Seeing them all in one image is actually helpful for me. That red linen micarta particularly looks better than I expected. I have a Beer Scout in burgundy linen micarta, and I had worried that the red would look too similar, but it looks sufficiently different that I would have no problem with it. I love the burgundy on my Beer Scout, but I like my knives to look distinct.

The OD canvas is still my favorite, followed closely by the natural canvas, but this mockup makes me realize that I really don't like the olive linen much at all. And looking at my burgundy linen on my Beer Scout I realize that that would almost certainly be true in person as well. I feel like somehow the visual texture of the linen does not fit as well with the green as the canvas does. Just my opinion.

So for me at this point, my favorites are:
1) OD Canvas
2) Natural Canvas
3) Red Linen

But they are all so close that there is no daylight between those top three. I would be happy with any of the five options, but those three would all thrill me.

Nice work, Rookie82 Rookie82 !

abbydaddy abbydaddy , I think OD Canvas might be my top choice, too. I will say that GEC's Red Linen Micarta can vary in color a bit. My 2015 Red Linen Micarta #71 Bull Nose is identical to what they called Burgundy Linen Micarta in this year's run of #71s (and much darker than what they called Red Linen Micarta this year).

Nice work, Rookie82 Rookie82 !

abbydaddy abbydaddy , I think OD Canvas might be my top choice, too. I will say that GEC's Red Linen Micarta can vary in color a bit. My 2015 Red Linen Micarta #71 Bull Nose is identical to what they called Burgundy Linen Micarta in this year's run of #71s (and much darker than what they called Red Linen Micarta this year).
Agree that the Red can vary alot and be too light bordering on pink sometimes.

Black please. Goes with everything. Red after that, just cause of where I live.
Thanks, Neal

What, you couldn't photoshop in the right numbers on the blade stamp? Sheesh. :Do_O;)

Just kidding. Beautiful work, and thanks!

All those cover options above look good to me. Question though, "If the covers are to be micarta, would they still retain the chamfered shape as the wood-covered Charlows, or would they end up more rounded as the older 77's were?"

The mock-up photo is awesome but it raises a question for me. I've only owned one #15 TC Barlow and it was from the very first run so I don't remember. (wish I still had it)

I thought these had half stops but the mock-up implies otherwise. Shouldn't the backspring be at rest with the blade at the half stop position or do these not have a half stop after all?

The mock-up photo is awesome but it raises a question for me. I've only owned one #15 TC Barlow and it was from the very first run so I don't remember. (wish I still had it)

I thought these had half stops but the mock-up implies otherwise. Shouldn't the backspring be at rest with the blade at the half stop position or do these not have a half stop after all?
Rick, my 15 tc barlow has a half stop and is flush. Those in the pics are probably showing that because they are mock-ups and don't accurately portray that part of the knife.

Rick, my 15 tc barlow has a half stop and is flush. Those in the pics are probably showing that because they are mock-ups and don't accurately portray that part of the knife.

Thanks for the clarification, Dwight. I thought that might be the case but it had me curious just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back