10-inch Fixed Blades: Why?

Some of us like practicing knife fighting, it's a martial art. I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet. 11 or 12 inch tanto blades were the norm in Japan's feudal period. In the American frontier, 10-12 inch bowie knives were usual. New Orleans was once considered the capital of knife fighting in the USA.
I know we’re moving into Prac-Tac territory here, but kukris are also proven combat knives. They were used by the Gurkhas with devastating effectivity. Compared to your average Ka-BAR or BK7 however, they’re certainly heavier and more blade-heavy. The untrained user will get gassed out quickly with mindless swinging.

Moving back on topic, I also like kukris as big camp knives.

yes please

pKG6VOH.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Look at that thing. One shot would result in a busted thorax, broken neck, fractured skull and serious brain damage; and, if you are on the receiving end, you would be instantly vaporized.

Would you refer to the shooter as a masochist or a suicide?

n2s
I got to shoot a Barrett .50 cal one time and just shooting it a few times and hanging out next to other dudes shooting made my insides feel funny. I ain't shooting a .950 round with a not so comfy looking rifle!!

You gotta recon the dragon's layer, figure out when he's home, and set the gun up in a hidden position with a remotely operated solenoid.
Don't wanna take a chance on being too close if things go south and he/ she decides to go into attack mode.
Dispatch the dragon once he's all settled in. Sell all his gold and jewels, make knives and gear out of his body.

So as not to hijack the thread too badly... A 10 inch fixed blade would come in handy when you're down range conducting Operation: Puff Slayer

Last edited:
Then there is the classic machete, that large, light whippy tool designed to absorb a maximum amount of abuse. It is hard to replace this use with a small knife.

n2s

Last edited:
If it's a chef's knife, then yes!

If it's a sharpened prybar, then no, I have no need of such a thing.
I would rather use a hatchet or an axe or even a sword.

If it's for self defense/tactical, again no, a firearm is much better...but if it must be a blade for self defense/tactical, a machete or sword is much better.

If it's for bushcraft or camping or hiking, again no, it's needless weight and bulk.
I know there are some big guys who say they don't even feel the weight of a heavy Bowie or Kukri...but every oz of knife you carry means less water, less food, less first aid, less signal and communication equipment, and less firearms ammunition you're going to be able to carry.

Then there is the classic machete, that large, light whippy tool designed to absorb a maximum amount of abuse. It is hard to replace this use with a small knife.
I agree. Machetes are very efficient cutters and made for swinging. Some of the heavier ones make good choppers.

One of my early choppers was a 12" Ontario machete. Never liked the ergo's, but some like them. I have several of them and they were purchased to be "truck knives" that are there in the event of needing something bigger. I eventually went to 14" and 16" machetes for that purpose as I used them more than you would think. Those 12" Ontario's don't get used any more as I simply don't like them.

Last edited:
If it's a chef's knife, then yes!

If it's a sharpened prybar, then no, I have no need of such a thing.
I would rather use a hatchet or an axe or even a sword.

If it's for self defense/tactical, again no, a firearm is much better...but if it must be a blade for self defense/tactical, a machete or sword is much better.

If it's for bushcraft or camping or hiking, again no, it's needless weight and bulk.
I know there are some big guys who say they don't even feel the weight of a heavy Bowie or Kukri...but every oz of knife you carry means less water, less food, less first aid, less signal and communication equipment, and less firearms ammunition you're going to be able to carry.

This!^^^^^^

Most swords aren't made for cutting woody material. I like axes and hatchets too, but I seldom use either anymore. As a result, I haven't purchased some of the more expensive hatchets or axes. If the material is 4" or more thick, it is axe time. It is always a question of just how big a job it is as to the tool(s) selected.

Most swords aren't made for cutting woody material. I like axes and hatchets too, but I seldom use either anymore. As a result, I haven't purchased some of the more expensive hatchets or axes. If the material is 4" or more thick, it is axe time. It is always a question of just how big a job it is as to the tool(s) selected.

The heck with chopping. As I got 'older' I grew to appreciate 10 fold the wonders of the Sven Saw. Six inches of wood to go through, just a minute.

Wood processing is why God gave man the brains to invent the saw! Not romantic as chopping, but way faster and easier.

The heck with chopping. As I got 'older' I grew to appreciate 10 fold the wonders of the Sven Saw. Six inches of wood to go through, just a minute.

Wood processing is why God gave man the brains to invent the saw! Not romantic as chopping, but way faster and easier.
Me too. :thumbsup:

Cause a 9” blade just wont do? ;)

Back