2012 Starmate prototype

Keep in mind, MSRP is always higher than what the regular online stores sell for. The $150-170 price range looks good, add 30% and that would be the MSRP.

Am I the only one wishing that they would use ZDP-189 on this model considering it has to be a Japanese steel? VG10 is a great steel, but I like edge holding a little bit more than ease of sharpening. I will probably pass on this one...

Thanks for listening and bringing the Starmate back, Sal. :thumbup: I can't wait for this one.

I really like the Starmate. I do wish the new one had nested liners though. I personally like the clean look the nested liners give and the original exemplifies that.

There is something that just doesn't look right about the new one. I'm guessing it's just the fact that it is a proto without logos and such.

Is it here yet? I want this folder, big time! Any word whether it will have the Starmate/Terzuola inlay in the handle? That would be an excellent bonus. :thumbup:

Is it here yet? I want this folder, big time! Any word whether it will have the Starmate/Terzuola inlay in the handle? That would be an excellent bonus. :thumbup:

Sal said it would be straight G10, no emblem.

I'd prefer it tomorrow :eek:

Too bad about the inlay but as long as it has that sweet grind and good looking blade/handle ratio, I'm in. Most excellent that there is another large liner-locking Spydie due this year :thumbup:

I can't make up my mind.
Only VG10? and what's with all the holes. I'm surprised they didn't redo the clip placement since that was a common complaint (rode too high).
How about just one or two holes to anchor the clip, since it just had to offer all four positions to satisfy everyone.
Now with the nine extra holes, it looks like a buckshot victim. :p

Complaints aside, it's still an amazing design.
I'll probably get one since it will still be cheaper than a "user" early Starmate.
I have one, LNIB. Never got to explore how great the original exotic "CPM440V" steel is.
But in thick, long VG10, it will be a scary sharp, easy to touch up slicer.
Collect one, enjoy the other.
$150 would be decent price.
OK, I'm excited now.:D

I likes. It has a very slim profile and looks like a good "hard use" folder with the thicker tip on it. I like the direction you guys are going. Looks like it needs the standard Spydie jimping though.

I was able to pick up a used one, I think it needs the jimping. I'd like to see a stronger liner lock, preferably a frame lock. I am interested to see the new one with liners, but I will definitely get one of the new ones too.

Let's see some pics from Blade of this one!

With Sal's blessing of course.

I brought my original Starmate to the Blade show to compare it to the prototype, unfortunately the prototype was not at the show. I was able to talk to Sal about it though. Other than the blade steel, the differences between the two sound pretty minor. I'm really looking forward to being able to get a couple of the new version I can actually afford to use hard. Some of you guys are really spoiled on blade steels. I am fine with the choice of VG-10, it has excellent rust resistance, decent edge retention, is easy to sharpen and most of all is affordable. Thanks Sal and Bob T. for bringing back this design.

Very cool that you got to talk to Sal about the Starmate. Any word on a release date?

Any specs on this? Specifically I would like to know the weight. For some reason I couldnt find the older version on the Spyderco website. And is this going to be a production knife or a sprint?

Any specs on this? Specifically I would like to know the weight. For some reason I couldnt find the older version on the Spyderco website. And is this going to be a production knife or a sprint?

No idea on weight, but I can weigh mine on Tuesday if you haven't gotten a reply by then. Unless I'm grossly mistaken this is a full on production run.

Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

I am very excited about this folder. It will go directly in the pocket.

Back