2018 Forum Knife. The first poll

Which maker?

• Buck 301. Choose. 2/3 blades, grind, steel: 420, CPM154, 154CM, S30V, S35VN, 20CV; handle mat'l,

Votes: 267 73.6%
  • GEC 14 in 1095. Choose: drawn/cut swedge, plain/lined bolster Single or Two Blade Jack

Votes: 96 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
... The detail polls could be kept a bit shorter to keep things in focus, run from Friday morning to Monday night say.

That would only get the final poll finished one day earlier than running each poll Tuesday to Tuesday. Or half a day if it's run from Tuesday night to Tuesday morning ... so the major change would be to reduce the time for everyone to throw their oars in the water. Hmmm, that might be a good thing. LOL

That would only get the final poll finished one day earlier than running each poll Tuesday to Tuesday. Or half a day if it's run from Tuesday night to Tuesday morning ... so the major change would be to reduce the time for everyone to throw their oars in the water. Hmmm, that might be a good thing. LOL

I believe Will is proposing a 4-day poll, Friday through Monday (vs. 8 days for Tuesday through the following Tuesday).

I believe Will is proposing a 4-day poll, Friday through Monday (vs. 8 days for Tuesday through the following Tuesday).

Exactly. But you can't run two four-day polls in the same time that you run one eight-day poll because you have to include a weekend in each poll. So you can run the same number of polls per month, ending half a day earlier if you do a Friday to Monday poll versus a Tuesday poll. The only real difference is a reduced comment time period.

Exactly. But you can't run two four-day polls in the same time that you run one eight-day poll because you have to include a weekend in each poll. So you can run the same number of polls per month, ending half a day earlier if you do a Friday to Monday poll versus a Tuesday poll. The only real difference is a reduced comment time period.
Why not Run all the detail polls at the same time?

I think many of the polls can be run concurrently some not so much I would maybe not choose the blades until a steel is chosen and I would maybe not choose the bolster material until the handle material is chosen.

The Buck 301 is great knife but be aware it has fairly light pull and not a real brisk snap. It's ok with me.
k8M0sU3.jpg

If we could get that shield, that would be VERY cool. I'm guessing the shields and the tooling are long gone though.

My understanding is that the Buck custom shop doesn't currently have an option for the 301. I could be mistaken, though, but I feel like someone said that in one of the recent forum knife threads - that having a custom 301 would make it all the more unique in that regard since that's not something available to the general public at all currently. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong.

This kinda thing gets me more excited about this knife. This knife, like several other knives, aren't patterns to my liking, or have other design features that I normally don't like. The beauty of the forum knife is that the sense of the community behind the knife is what has made me pick up these knives. They've helped make me think outside my box, and have gotten me to appreciate patterns I don't normally go for.

I guess I just want to say thank you everyone here for expanding my horizons, and and especially big THANK YOU to the unsung cat wranglers that have kept this thing going every year!

At this point I'm hopeful that we can get some costs included with the poll options.

It's not that I want this to be as inexpensive as possible, but I'd like to jam as many upgrades as possible into a reasonable price.

Thanks to all those working so hard on this knife and polling process. The last few days on here have been much more "porchy" than the prior weeks, and I'm very thankful for that.

I'm for a full on stockman. I don't understand why people don't give the spey the respect it deserves. It's an awesome blade.

It is awesome. But I don't use it very much and would find a punch or caplifter more useful. The sheepsfoot is my most-used blade on a Stockman by far, followed by the clip, then distantly followed by the spey. That's why my preference would be to drop it or swap it.

It is awesome. But I don't use it very much and would find a punch or caplifter more useful. The sheepsfoot is my most-used blade on a Stockman by far, followed by the clip, then distantly followed by the spey. That's why my preference would be to drop it or swap it.
Swap, not drop! I really want to see a full scale, three spring stockman...be it with a spey blade or punch. I love the Case and Moore Maker(?) punch stockman knives I've seen. I'll be lobbying hard for three springs when that poll comes about. It's just such a traditional platform.

If memory serves, skblades said that the cost to include a different blade than is normally found in the 301, such as a punch or caplifter, would be prohibitive, and that extra steps would need to be added to the production process on Buck's end since they're not set up for it. The forum knife threads are so long and move so quickly that I could be misremembering, though!

Whatever the steel or handle material, the closer we get it to this... yowzah!

The first Buck 301 (before it was called a 301). c.1966
bM1pzlp.jpg

fnEwSEk.jpg

vNeCY1k.jpg

I especially like the grooved bolsters, classic shield, long pull and swedge on master blade.
That's fantastic. I know it's only 50 years old but sure looks traditional to me. Swap out the covers for ebony wood, pin a bare shield on them, stamp Bladeforums on the 154 steel and take my cash, please!

Whatever the steel or handle material, the closer we get it to this... yowzah!

The first Buck 301 (before it was called a 301). c.1966
bM1pzlp.jpg

fnEwSEk.jpg

vNeCY1k.jpg

I especially like the grooved bolsters, classic shield, long pull and swedge on master blade.
Agree Al:thumbsup: Very nice. I've not seen many Schrade-mades with the grooved bolsters. If we could get those bolsters, and I'll take mine with 3 blades, thank you, I'd be ecstatic. :D

Back