• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you change the pins from brass colored to silver steel color?

On a side note, your pin depth on the wood mock up's is spot on. On the Jigged bone I think they should have a couple recessed pins and varied depths for accuracy :p

Actually, it's WOOD GECs that often have the eyesore sink-holes, usually the centre pin...;) Micarta and Acrylic are not immune either, whereas with steel pinned jigged bone the pins are often nicely domed.

Please vote bone cause my band is seriously lacking in sawcut and random jigged members :rolleyes:
cj2GGD9.jpg

The way things are shaking out the last minute movers and shakers may control the outcome of this stage. However this ends up, I think the voting members and Mike have given those eligible an opportunity to own a very nice knife.

Brilliant. A must read for everyone here.

Maybe I'm thick between the ears.... I read the story, and while a nice story, I don't see what connection it has to selecting handles for a knife?... Maybe someone can explain what I'm missing....

Actually, it's WOOD GECs that often have the eyesore sink-holes, usually the centre pin...;) Micarta and Acrylic are not immune either, whereas with steel pinned jigged bone the pins are often nicely domed.

Got awoken this morning by a call from the factory; they assured me that regardless of slab they will sink at least one pin completely out of site - just for those that enjoy the fodder o_O

With jigged bone, they have to use the dome spinner tool on the center spring pin. It's not uncommon for the tool to go to deep and cut into the jigged bone. You can see it on a couple of the knives in Zolthar's pic right after your post. Wood, micarta, and acrylic have the center spring pin ground off so it's smooth with the scales.

If you like random jigged bone then you should vote for jigged bone. It is not right to manipulate others through fear. It is plainly evident when someone is fear mongering, and, in my opinion, they have no credibility. All of the choices presented to us are good ones.

Obviously, GEC and Bill Howard can create beautiful random jigged bone that will not easily crack. Just because they produce a lot of patterned jigging does not mean that they cannot do random. All we have to do is order the knife with random jigging. This has been done with great results recently in Charlie’s SFO’s and the M & G Yankee Whittler. Examples abound in this thread and on the internet. It only took me a few minutes to find these to borrow.

Mike knows the type of random jigging we want. I am certain he could easily convey our wishes to Bill. The fact that GEC usually produces patterned jigging would make our random jigged Forum knife even more unique.

It seems like the time for everyone to consolidate their votes behind one of the two frontrunners.

Thank you @Travman for your excellent examples.

I agree with @Txjohn , do not take counsel from your fears.

View attachment 1085427 View attachment 1085428 View attachment 1085429 View attachment 1085434 View attachment 1085436

I disagree @cbr1000 , “saying it for effect” while admitting it is not true is not my idea of having fun.

My point is that this process is completely the opposite of the good natured friendship we enjoy on the Porch. I question whether it does more harm than good.

Greg,
Sorry to see this process distressing you. I assure you, it's all in good fun and I implore you not to take it so seriously. It's simply not worth losing sleep over! This is supposed to be fun! And it will be if we all keep it that way, my friend. :thumbsup:;)

------------GO WOOD!-------------

With jigged bone, they have to use the dome spinner tool on the center spring pin. It's not uncommon for the tool to go to deep and cut into the jigged bone. You can see it on a couple of the knives in Zolthar's pic right after your post. Wood, micarta, and acrylic have the center spring pin ground off so it's smooth with the scales.

You are correct, but he is not referring to the spun spring pin. He is complaining about the fact that GEC uses set length slab pins and on many slabs, especially variable textured, they will be recessed. The desire is for custom cut / peened pins for the slabs.

To the 21 smooth bone voters, I’m sorry to say that it just isn’t going to happen this year. We, the jigged bone voters of the 2019 BladeForums Annual Forum Knife Slab Choice Poll thread, cordially invite you to come and join us. Change your vote to jigged bone, and together we can ensure that this year’s knife is not shrouded in darkness. (Hey, you can always vote for saw cut bone in the next thread, which seems to me like a pretty good compromise between smooth bone and jigged. :D) I’ll leave you with the words of the great American actor Willard Carroll Smith II:

LET’S GET JIGGY WITH IT!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Amir Fleschwund Amir Fleschwund

Mike’s comments stuck in my mind too. A lot of folks might be disappointed in the jigging pattern after it’s completed.

Yes. As much as I appreciate the effort in making all of those mock-ups for us,
I can’t help but think showing a gorgeous, random, hand-jigged Rogers style was a huge disservice.
Despite the assurances of a couple members who I respect, and have tons more experience with GEC, that we can simply order jigging like that, I rarely see GEC knives jigged like that.

To the 21 smooth bone voters, I’m sorry to say that it just isn’t going to happen this year. We, the jigged bone voters of the 2019 BladeForums Annual Forum Knife Slab Choice Poll thread, cordially invite you to come and join us. Change your vote to jigged bone, and together we can ensure that this year’s knife is not shrouded in darkness. (Hey, you can always vote for saw cut bone in the next thread, which seems to me like a pretty good compromise between smooth bone and jigged. :D) I’ll leave you with the words of the great American actor Willard Carroll Smith II:

Whoa, hold up there smooth bone voters. The whole reason you voted for SMOOTH bone is because it's SMOOTH, right?;) I would offer up the invitation to transfer your vote over to SMOOTH wood to ensure your wish of a SMOOTH handled forum knife!! Together we can make everyone happy! Well, almost everyone.:p

Every jigged bone made by GEC was still made by GEC. So, maybe the jigged bone BF gets is the best ever. Or maybe it looks like a chicken scratched around in a cow pie...
Maybe the ebony / blackwood they order comes in with a lot of brown - they won't throw it away.... Maybe the cocobolo / bocote has no character whatsoever....
These are the gambles dealers make every time they cut an order.
As a side note, micarta is very consistent. (how is that for disclaimer turmoil?)

I’m sticking with my original vote for jigged bone. I’ve gone back and forth and gave it a lot of thought. Most of my favorite GEC’s are jigged bone so I guess let’s roll the dice.

Plus I don’t want to be responsible for any ties or 1 vote win in the poll.

Well played good sir.

Every jigged bone made by GEC was still made by GEC. So, maybe the jigged bone BF gets is the best ever. Or maybe it looks like a chicken scratched around in a cow pie...
Maybe the ebony / blackwood they order comes in with a lot of brown - they won't throw it away.... Maybe the cocobolo / bocote has no character whatsoever....
These are the gambles dealers make every time they cut an order.
As a side note, micarta is very consistent. (how is that for disclaimer turmoil?)
As a new fangled modern traditional enthusiast. Nothing better than a nice vintage micarta!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back