1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 Forum Knife : Poll - Slab Type

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Mar 4, 2019.

Slab Type

Poll closed Mar 7, 2019.
  1. Acrylic

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. Bone Smooth

21 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Bone Jigged

132 vote(s)
    41.6%
  4. Wood Smooth

133 vote(s)
    42.0%
  5. Wood Jigged

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Micarta

17 vote(s)
    5.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Actually, it's WOOD GECs that often have the eyesore sink-holes, usually the centre pin...;) Micarta and Acrylic are not immune either, whereas with steel pinned jigged bone the pins are often nicely domed.

Travman and Sabercat like this.
  2. zolthar

zolthar Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Please vote bone cause my band is seriously lacking in sawcut and random jigged members :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Old Engineer, cbr1000, btb01 and 3 others like this.
  3. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I'm one of the very few Jigged Wood voters but I'll win the lottery before that happens. I'll give it another 8 hours and then change my vote to Smooth Wood.:)

4. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2012
    The way things are shaking out the last minute movers and shakers may control the outcome of this stage. However this ends up, I think the voting members and Mike have given those eligible an opportunity to own a very nice knife.

cbr1000 likes this.
  5. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    @Amir Fleschwund

Mike’s comments stuck in my mind too. A lot of folks might be disappointed in the jigging pattern after it’s completed.

abbydaddy, cbr1000, Dr-Mabuse and 2 others like this.
  6. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Maybe I'm thick between the ears.... I read the story, and while a nice story, I don't see what connection it has to selecting handles for a knife?... Maybe someone can explain what I'm missing....

Travman likes this.
  7. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Got awoken this morning by a call from the factory; they assured me that regardless of slab they will sink at least one pin completely out of site - just for those that enjoy the fodder o_O

RCMAZ, Nature Boy, meako and 20 others like this.
  8. knife_fan

knife_fan

May 1, 2012
    With jigged bone, they have to use the dome spinner tool on the center spring pin. It's not uncommon for the tool to go to deep and cut into the jigged bone. You can see it on a couple of the knives in Zolthar's pic right after your post. Wood, micarta, and acrylic have the center spring pin ground off so it's smooth with the scales.

Camillus and Prester John like this.
  9. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Greg,
    Sorry to see this process distressing you. I assure you, it's all in good fun and I implore you not to take it so seriously. It's simply not worth losing sleep over! This is supposed to be fun! And it will be if we all keep it that way, my friend. :thumbsup:;)

------------GO WOOD!-------------

cbr1000, JohnDF, Dr-Mabuse and 2 others like this.
  10. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    You are correct, but he is not referring to the spun spring pin. He is complaining about the fact that GEC uses set length slab pins and on many slabs, especially variable textured, they will be recessed. The desire is for custom cut / peened pins for the slabs.

11. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    To the 21 smooth bone voters, I’m sorry to say that it just isn’t going to happen this year. We, the jigged bone voters of the 2019 BladeForums Annual Forum Knife Slab Choice Poll thread, cordially invite you to come and join us. Change your vote to jigged bone, and together we can ensure that this year’s knife is not shrouded in darkness. (Hey, you can always vote for saw cut bone in the next thread, which seems to me like a pretty good compromise between smooth bone and jigged. :D) I’ll leave you with the words of the great American actor Willard Carroll Smith II:

LET’S GET JIGGY WITH IT!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Travman, cbr1000, rdave and 4 others like this.
  12. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Yes. As much as I appreciate the effort in making all of those mock-ups for us,
    I can’t help but think showing a gorgeous, random, hand-jigged Rogers style was a huge disservice.
    Despite the assurances of a couple members who I respect, and have tons more experience with GEC, that we can simply order jigging like that, I rarely see GEC knives jigged like that.

13. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Whoa, hold up there smooth bone voters. The whole reason you voted for SMOOTH bone is because it's SMOOTH, right?;) I would offer up the invitation to transfer your vote over to SMOOTH wood to ensure your wish of a SMOOTH handled forum knife!! Together we can make everyone happy! Well, almost everyone.:p

Fodderwing, Travman, meako and 6 others like this.
  14. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    Every jigged bone made by GEC was still made by GEC. So, maybe the jigged bone BF gets is the best ever. Or maybe it looks like a chicken scratched around in a cow pie...
    Maybe the ebony / blackwood they order comes in with a lot of brown - they won't throw it away.... Maybe the cocobolo / bocote has no character whatsoever....
    These are the gambles dealers make every time they cut an order.
    As a side note, micarta is very consistent. (how is that for disclaimer turmoil?)

Travman, abbydaddy, meako and 12 others like this.
  15. Shock_

Shock_ Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2015
    I’m sticking with my original vote for jigged bone. I’ve gone back and forth and gave it a lot of thought. Most of my favorite GEC’s are jigged bone so I guess let’s roll the dice.

Plus I don’t want to be responsible for any ties or 1 vote win in the poll.

tmd_87 likes this.
  16. russde

russde Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Exactly!!!

17. robbobus

robbobus Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I switched from jigged bone to smooth wood. Both would be nice, but if Charlie is publicly voting for smooth wood, so am I.

18. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    He probably just has an SFO coming in a nice random jigged autumn gold bone and doesn't want the competition :D (like there is competition)

P3k, Nature Boy, Travman and 9 others like this.
  19. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Well played good sir.

20. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    As a new fangled modern traditional enthusiast. Nothing better than a nice vintage micarta!

bbk357 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.