• Wood Jigged

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Micarta

Votes: 17 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I wasn't insinuating that you were proposing it...just pointing out that it was the only mention, of any kind, in the thread about stag. Just surprised not many have mentioned that it isn't there :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I completely agree with you.

I think a few have mentioned it in the previous threads but overall I do not think it is a desirable cover option for this particular knife which might be why the suggestions have been very sparse to non-existent. Considering that last year we were promised dark and knobby elk and a considerable percentage of folks received otherwise, I don't think folks would want to be setup for the inevitable disappointment again.

Sorry I wasn't insinuating that you were proposing it...just pointing out that it was the only mention, of any kind, in the thread about stag. Just surprised not many have mentioned that it isn't there :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I completely agree with you.
I was hoping it would be an option!

I think a few have mentioned it in the previous threads but overall I do not think it is a desirable cover option for this particular knife which might be why the suggestions have been very sparse to non-existent. Considering that last year we were promised dark and knobby elk and a considerable percentage of folks received otherwise, I don't think folks would want to be setup for the inevitable disappointment again.
I was happy with my elk except that it was so thin! I like fat stag.

The type of bone everyone is asking about is called Rogers jig bone. It used to be exceedingly common, but if you do some internet searching, there is a story that the bone jigging machine has been retired.

I believe Culpepper produce and sell a similar style, as does Case. I don’t know where GEC gets it stock from.

The same style (rogers jig bone) that has been commented on a lot in this thread has been used recently for the Maher and Grosch Yankee Whittler knife, as I have posted previously. I have one and I like it, although for reasons I can’t quite pin down, my Yankee whittler doesn’t seem as successful as Charlie’s rope knife, or indeed on the many thousands of older knives with rogers bone.

At post #36, Mike indicated that this style of jigging may not be available in any event (that is, if his term ‘culpepper bone’ is a reference to this style).

The type of bone everyone is asking about is called Rogers jig bone. It used to be exceedingly common, but if you do some internet searching, there is a story that the bone jigging machine has been retired.

I believe Culpepper produce and sell a similar style, as does Case. I don’t know where GEC gets it stock from.

The same style (rogers jig bone) that has been commented on a lot in this thread has been used recently for the Maher and Grosch Yankee Whittler knife, as I have posted previously. I have one and I like it, although for reasons I can’t quite pin down, my Yankee whittler doesn’t seem as successful as Charlie’s rope knife, or indeed on the many thousands of older knives with rogers bone.

At post #36, Mike indicated that this style of jigging may not be available in any event (that is, if his term ‘culpepper bone’ is a reference to this style).

Camillus Camillus , do you mind posting a link to the story of the jigging machine??
GEC has jigged their own bone for quite a while now. Bill Howard, when he was at Queen, rebuilt that jigging machine you mentioned, only to have the owner take it away some time later!!!

This with no shield is perfect. A shield would overwhelm it although a small oval shield wouldn't be bad.

2019_bf_jigged_bone_no_shield_barehead-jpg.1085077

Last edited:
Sorry, that's the next poll. I have not been told of any prohibited jigging patterns; although many of the standard rules will apply. I would not expect primitive bone, soup bone, any culpepper bone, or any bone they haven't made in a couple years (because they usually stop making it for a reason).
Well, after seeing this....I'm going wood. Must have missed this when I was at work. I think this knife will be better suited with wood than some symmetrical jigged bone. So now I changed it to smooth wood...I wanna see a classy cover that will make this knife look like a classic. It will look better than saw cut as well in my opinion.

Thanks Camillus Camillus for pointing this out.

Well, after seeing this....I'm going wood. Must have missed this when I was at work. I think this knife will be better suited with wood than some symmetrical jigged bone. So now I changed it to smooth wood...I wanna see a classy cover that will make this knife look like a classic. It will look better than saw cut as well in my opinion.

Thanks Camillus Camillus for pointing this out.

Several woods are identified as an endangered restricted specie by international treaty and by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. CITES Schedule II includes all Rosewoods, African Blackwood, Gabon Ebony, Cocobolo, and Kingwood.

I would also rather have Stag but I just feel that we can not get a knife this size in Stag for $100 or less from GEC . Might even get some great Jigged Bone without a Shield , or Desert Ironwood without a Shield .

Harry

This with no shield is perfect. A shield would overwhelm it although a small oval shield wouldn't be bad.

2019_bf_jigged_bone_no_shield_barehead-jpg.1085077

Or a shorter bar shield would set it off nicely. But I must say the banner shield mock-up that waverave did in post 108 looked pretty good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back