1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 Forum Knife : Poll - Slab Type

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Mar 4, 2019.

Slab Type

Poll closed Mar 7, 2019.
  1. Acrylic

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. Bone Smooth

21 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Bone Jigged

132 vote(s)
    41.6%
  4. Wood Smooth

133 vote(s)
    42.0%
  5. Wood Jigged

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Micarta

17 vote(s)
    5.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakedsnake

Jakedsnake Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 14, 2018
    All in for the smooth wood!

2. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I think a few have mentioned it in the previous threads but overall I do not think it is a desirable cover option for this particular knife which might be why the suggestions have been very sparse to non-existent. Considering that last year we were promised dark and knobby elk and a considerable percentage of folks received otherwise, I don't think folks would want to be setup for the inevitable disappointment again.

BrianB43, meako and Old Engineer like this.
  3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I was hoping it would be an option!

4. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I was happy with my elk except that it was so thin! I like fat stag.

5. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    The type of bone everyone is asking about is called Rogers jig bone. It used to be exceedingly common, but if you do some internet searching, there is a story that the bone jigging machine has been retired.

I believe Culpepper produce and sell a similar style, as does Case. I don’t know where GEC gets it stock from.

The same style (rogers jig bone) that has been commented on a lot in this thread has been used recently for the Maher and Grosch Yankee Whittler knife, as I have posted previously. I have one and I like it, although for reasons I can’t quite pin down, my Yankee whittler doesn’t seem as successful as Charlie’s rope knife, or indeed on the many thousands of older knives with rogers bone.

At post #36, Mike indicated that this style of jigging may not be available in any event (that is, if his term ‘culpepper bone’ is a reference to this style).

GE Jr, cbr1000 and waynorth like this.
  6. thepapercut

thepapercut

Aug 26, 2017
    been looking to pickup a wood knife recently

7. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    @Camillus , do you mind posting a link to the story of the jigging machine??
    GEC has jigged their own bone for quite a while now. Bill Howard, when he was at Queen, rebuilt that jigging machine you mentioned, only to have the owner take it away some time later!!!

JohnDF, GE Jr, Travman and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jathes

Jathes Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Depends on whether they are voting more for the noun or adjective.

9. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Stop swaying me toward a second vote change!

waverave and meako like this.
  10. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    This with no shield is perfect. A shield would overwhelm it although a small oval shield wouldn't be bad.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    sitflyer, Nsewell, JohnDF and 5 others like this.
  11. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    @knifeswaper - maybe this was asked and if so I must have missed it. Will No Shield be a choice in the Shield Poll?

sitflyer, meako and Prester John like this.
  12. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Well, after seeing this....I'm going wood. Must have missed this when I was at work. I think this knife will be better suited with wood than some symmetrical jigged bone. So now I changed it to smooth wood...I wanna see a classy cover that will make this knife look like a classic. It will look better than saw cut as well in my opinion.

Thanks @Camillus for pointing this out.

cigarrodog likes this.
  13. H2O2HI

H2O2HI Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Several woods are identified as an endangered restricted specie by international treaty and by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. CITES Schedule II includes all Rosewoods, African Blackwood, Gabon Ebony, Cocobolo, and Kingwood.

tmd_87 likes this.
  14. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I would also rather have Stag but I just feel that we can not get a knife this size in Stag for $100 or less from GEC . Might even get some great Jigged Bone without a Shield , or Desert Ironwood without a Shield .

Harry

Prester John likes this.
  15. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Few more smooth bones...
    2019_BF_smooth_white_bone_no_shield_barehead.jpg
    2019_BF_smooth_green_bone_no_shield_barehead.jpg

Travman, GE Jr, tmd_87 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    How about the houndstooth or spear shields?

17. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
    Or a shorter bar shield would set it off nicely. But I must say the banner shield mock-up that waverave did in post 108 looked pretty good!

18. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I'm glad Mike added Micarta to the poll. We have to make sure every option is properly represented. That said, based on the number of votes so far, it looks like Micarta might be the Lord Buckethead of this election.

[​IMG]

19. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    2019_BF_ebony_houndtooth_shield_barehead_mini.jpg

Jiki, Ramrodmb, meako and 2 others like this.
  20. Jathes

Jathes Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2016
    tmd_87 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.