1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Jun 21, 2019.

1. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

Onearmbladenut, L.H.S and TheFactor like this.
  2. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Went threw my bag of slips and found the perfect one for tomorrow’s carry .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  3. t.willy

t.willy

Mar 31, 2016
    I'm down for the Jigged Bone Version from M&G and likely looking at a week or Mr Noodles myself r8shell lol:D.

r8shell likes this.
  4. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Man I had so much high Hope's for this knife. Basically the only new GEC I really wanted this entire year but the more I see the less excited I am. The patterns I see this one most compared to is the #35 Churchill and #66 Calf Roper. Both already permanent residents in my rotation. I dont see an advantage of this one over either except that is has a punch and I do like a punch knife. The TKC SFO is going to have to blow me away at this point otherwise all of you alls pictures are keeping me perfectly content from afar. Keep them coming.

5. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I don't usually name my knives, but when mine gets here I might call it "ramen." :D

t.willy, pmek5, gaj999 and 4 others like this.
  6. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    That’s one way to stay on “Top” of everything :p

r8shell and JohnDF like this.
  7. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Each to his or her own. For me this is what the Churchill should have been with the advantage of a punch/awl, not as bulky and much more ergonomic. Grits and molasses — abstractly intense and downright stunningly beautiful. I have two 66s which I admire and frequently carry. They are not quite as useful as my 29, nor as well built because of their lazy spring action.

HEMI 49, TheFactor and pmek5 like this.
  8. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I hope I recall correctly that it's alright to post links to my YouTube reviews. Here is my video on my acrylic #29:

9. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    I returned my 66 the moment I opened it, this one however is outstanding. Nothing I don't like about it. I could have used a third blade but the reamer/punch doesn't bother me. Still considering a second.

L.H.S, JohnDF and pmek5 like this.
  10. Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    And that’s the thing that keeps niggling at the back of my mind, those weak springs on the 66 secondary blades. The Calf Roper are otherwise just the kind of Stockman knives I like for size and form. But, I am consistently leery of those small blades without half stops and their weak hold-open springs.
    Maybe I will get a second 29 and sell the 66s.

Boxer .45 likes this.
  11. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I must have hit the #66 lottery. All 3 blades on my #66 are snappy. The spey and sheepsfoot are a lighter 5 and the main is a 6 on mine. I love the lack of half stops for EDC too. Once worn in it's so smooth open and close.

12. Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
  13. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    Do it. Don't wait until these are gone. You sound fond of the pattern (29). If you can swing one of the three blades go that route so you can have some same but different.

14. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Buying another @29 sounds good.
    But don't turn loose of all your #66s... Keep one!
    I bought a #66 but didn't like the soft pulls on the secondaries, so I sold it.
    I bought another because I love the pattern, but ended up selling it for the same reasons.
    Now I've bough a third and vow to keep it, even though it has soft secondaries too, I want one in my collection.

Crazy Canuck, TheFactor and gaj999 like this.
  15. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Isn't this the definition of insanity... doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? :eek:

I kid, of course... your post just made me laugh! :D:thumbsup:

t.willy, JohnDF and gaj999 like this.
  16. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Um , so what's your point? ;)

akaMatt likes this.
  17. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Lol :D

gaj999 likes this.
  18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I know your kidding, but isn't it true... Aren't we all little crazy when one knife is all we really need? :confused:

Shurke, gaj999 and akaMatt like this.
  19. Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    I called great eastern about this issue on the calf Ropers. Their response was that’s just the way they are. And maybe so, and many people may just accept it and deal with it. I am disappointed for that very reason. Weak secondary blades are an issue I should not have to deal with and which undermines one of great eastern’s best patterns.

20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Mayo, the problem for GEC is that many people prefer softly sprung knives, due to arthritis or weakness in their fingernails. It must be very difficult to get a real snappy action with softer springs without a lot of time intensive hand labor. A few years back, there was a lot of call for softer springs, which it seems GEC was pretty responsive to. Some think they went a little too far, others like them very much. To me, and seemingly several others here on BFC, the #44 Buffalo Jack gunstock pattern hit the happy medium right on the head. I highly recommend them for nearly perfect walk and talk. I believe I've had eight different #44s, and they are amazingly consistent.

L.H.S, Dschal, JohnDF and 3 others like this.