2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

To show you how far back this handle pattern goes, here is a page from the 1886 HSB catalog showing a couple three bladed versions of it:
oeRBSgz.jpg

And a pages from the 1902 George Worthington catalog with a two and three blade versons:
a2s4g6l.jpg

QEVzgto.jpg
Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

Oh good, thanks. What a relief. I'll already be on the beans & toast diet through August for the Tidioute goldenrod I have reserved.

I'm down for the Jigged Bone Version from M&G and likely looking at a week or Mr Noodles myself r8shell lol:D.

Man I had so much high Hope's for this knife. Basically the only new GEC I really wanted this entire year but the more I see the less excited I am. The patterns I see this one most compared to is the #35 Churchill and #66 Calf Roper. Both already permanent residents in my rotation. I dont see an advantage of this one over either except that is has a punch and I do like a punch knife. The TKC SFO is going to have to blow me away at this point otherwise all of you alls pictures are keeping me perfectly content from afar. Keep them coming.

Man I had so much high Hope's for this knife. Basically the only new GEC I really wanted this entire year but the more I see the less excited I am. The patterns I see this one most compared to is the #35 Churchill and #66 Calf Roper. Both already permanent residents in my rotation. I dont see an advantage of this one over either except that is has a punch and I do like a punch knife. The TKC SFO is going to have to blow me away at this point otherwise all of you alls pictures are keeping me perfectly content from afar. Keep them coming.
Each to his or her own. For me this is what the Churchill should have been with the advantage of a punch/awl, not as bulky and much more ergonomic. Grits and molasses — abstractly intense and downright stunningly beautiful. I have two 66s which I admire and frequently carry. They are not quite as useful as my 29, nor as well built because of their lazy spring action.

I returned my 66 the moment I opened it, this one however is outstanding. Nothing I don't like about it. I could have used a third blade but the reamer/punch doesn't bother me. Still considering a second.

I returned my 66 the moment I opened it, this one however is outstanding. Nothing I don't like about it. I could have used a third blade but the reamer/punch doesn't bother me. Still considering a second.
And that’s the thing that keeps niggling at the back of my mind, those weak springs on the 66 secondary blades. The Calf Roper are otherwise just the kind of Stockman knives I like for size and form. But, I am consistently leery of those small blades without half stops and their weak hold-open springs.
Maybe I will get a second 29 and sell the 66s.

I must have hit the #66 lottery. All 3 blades on my #66 are snappy. The spey and sheepsfoot are a lighter 5 and the main is a 6 on mine. I love the lack of half stops for EDC too. Once worn in it's so smooth open and close.

And that’s the thing that keeps niggling at the back of my mind, those weak springs on the 66 secondary blades. The Calf Roper are otherwise just the kind of Stockman knives I like for size and form. But, I am consistently leery of those small blades without half stops and their weak hold-open springs.

Do it. Don't wait until these are gone. You sound fond of the pattern (29). If you can swing one of the three blades go that route so you can have some same but different.

Buying another @29 sounds good.
But don't turn loose of all your #66s... Keep one!
I bought a #66 but didn't like the soft pulls on the secondaries, so I sold it.
I bought another because I love the pattern, but ended up selling it for the same reasons.
Now I've bough a third and vow to keep it, even though it has soft secondaries too, I want one in my collection.

Buying another @29 sounds good.
But don't turn loose of all your #66s... Keep one!
I bought a #66 but didn't like the soft pulls on the secondaries, so I sold it.
I bought another because I love the pattern, but ended up selling it for the same reasons.
Now I've bough a third and vow to keep it, even though it has soft secondaries too, I want one in my collection.
Isn't this the definition of insanity... doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? :eek:

I kid, of course... your post just made me laugh! :D:thumbsup:

I called great eastern about this issue on the calf Ropers. Their response was that’s just the way they are. And maybe so, and many people may just accept it and deal with it. I am disappointed for that very reason. Weak secondary blades are an issue I should not have to deal with and which undermines one of great eastern’s best patterns.

Mayo, the problem for GEC is that many people prefer softly sprung knives, due to arthritis or weakness in their fingernails. It must be very difficult to get a real snappy action with softer springs without a lot of time intensive hand labor. A few years back, there was a lot of call for softer springs, which it seems GEC was pretty responsive to. Some think they went a little too far, others like them very much. To me, and seemingly several others here on BFC, the #44 Buffalo Jack gunstock pattern hit the happy medium right on the head. I highly recommend them for nearly perfect walk and talk. I believe I've had eight different #44s, and they are amazingly consistent.

Back