2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I thought the SFO lambsfoot were from Waynorth, no the ramsfoot. Or did he name them both?

Ramrodmb likes this.
  2. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Yep I like it. IMG_3807.jpeg

3. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I thought he named them both. I'm sure Charlie will be along soon to set the record straight. Maybe I got the idea from the knife coming out with the Ram's Head shield placed on the lower area of the cover????

4. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Hello fellow Gaurdians. There has been a fantastic display of the Lamb Foot knives on the forum, with some brilliant photos posted, congratulations to all those who have managed to purchase one. So i thought i would go down a different track and road test one.
    Firstly, they have a fantastic fit and finish which i am sure you already know, but the feel in the hand and the weight of them is fantastic. One of the things i look for in a good working knife is the weight, and these have a good weighty feel without being too heavy. I did some tests straight out of the tube with the factory edge. The first thing i did was slice some tomato, straight through, wafer thin slices. I then sliced an onion into halves, then quarters, then thin slices. I have found that a knife without a really keen edge will veer off to the left or right using this method, this knife sliced straight through. I then sliced cut some potato's into chips, a blade that is too thick at the spine will jam, this knife again just sliced straight through. I then used it to have my steak and chips, sliced through the steak like it was butter, and started a nice patina. This morning i used it to chop up some vegetables and chicken. I then cut up an thick cardboard carton that i had a delivery in, then sliced up some 1/2 inch rope i had, again straight through. So i took it back to the tomato test again, straight through, has really good edge retention. This knife is like a sturdy version of a filleting knife, just a fantastic slicer, due to the design of the blade. In summary, a good all round work knife, with a good weight to it,and edge retention, not just a looker but a performer as well. Congratulations and well done to everyone who had a hand in producing this fine working implement. Excuse my indulgence everyone, but i just wanted to have my opinion out there, as usual i am open to any thoughts on my testing method or criticism of my methods. Have a good day everyone.

WHT, Ramrodmb, pjsjr and 18 others like this.
  5. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    Appaloosa Oily Creek Bone should be on future GEC knives !

6. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    Yeah it looks good. I thought it wouldn't but it does. I can't tell if it has the same broad covers or not?

7. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I think I like the dark cocobolo #93 knives the best. My #93 will arrive tomorrow and it will be light colored. Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

8. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    How many of you heeded Charlie's admonishment to lubricate your knives? You'd better listen, these things are filthy!

[​IMG]

glennbad, pjsjr, tmd_87 and 8 others like this.
  9. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for your review, @cudgee!
    I don't like to order a knife without doing "due diligence" on its construction, finish, and performance. And I depend primarily on reviews from current owners to get that sort of info. The Waynorth lambsfoots, especially the jigged bone, are incredibly beautiful, and it's encouraging to get a report like this from an "early adopter". Seems like I have another knife to add to the "wish list"! ;):thumbsup::cool:

- GT

Ramrodmb, TFBraden and cigarrodog like this.
  10. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I am thrilled to have these two arrive today :) Many thanks Charlie, and congratulations my friend, got there in the end :) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

11. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Mine definitely had some grittiness to it when I first got it but some nano-oil seems to have washed it out.

12. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    You must be tickled pink, Congratulations, Jack.

Reaper AL and Jack Black like this.
  13. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    A matched pair? Don't you dare use those knives you Philistine!

Just kidding of course...;)

cigarrodog and Jack Black like this.
  14. L.H.S

L.H.S

Jan 1, 2013
    I think the Ram's Head shield is interesting. I don't mind the placement at all, I've seen old knives with the shield there. I wonder if they plan to use it on other patterns.

15. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    I'll take the cedit for the Lambs, but Bill and his crew named the Rams!! A tribute to the larger blade is my guess!

Pgg365247, Ramrodmb, L.H.S and 5 others like this.
  16. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    It works well on the jigged bone because they can pin the shield. But they can't use it on smooth materials or they will have to glue the shield instead. It is a super cool shield would love to see it again.

L.H.S and cigarrodog like this.
  17. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks for the testing cudgee!!! Many will wind up being "Safe Queens", fair enough!! But it's good to know they have good performance in their genes! I have one in my pocket for some real-world use myself!!

Ramrodmb, Reaper AL, JohnDF and 3 others like this.
  18. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    I'm so happy you finally got them Jack!! With You as the Godfather of the Guardians it's wonderful to know You can hold the pair and check them out!! It's been a long haul indeed!!

Reaper AL, JohnDF, Jack Black and 5 others like this.
  19. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    Ha, anybody else get the notifications about the antique jigged #93? I got two notifications today, clicked on both within probably 3 seconds, and both sites said Out of Stock. I've never seen that before with any other knife. Seems odd they'd really be OOS that quick, unless my mail is on delay today.

A.S. and Frailer like this.
  20. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    No worries mate.The first thing that impressed me was the feel in the hand, has the weight of a good tool. My father, who if still alive would be 107 and went through 2 world wars, fought in one of them and the depression, drummed into me as a kid, buy quality tools and implements. He said if you buy well made tools and look after them they will last you a lifetime. Have a good weekend mate.;)

Jody744 and cigarrodog like this.