2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

waynorth waynorth named these knives Ram's Foot and they're great knives. However, the blades on these knives look suspiciously like the Sheepfoot blade:rolleyes: which has been used on knives with a nautical theme. That said; I've photographed my Ram's Foot knife with Cocobolo covers with a Shellback "Crossing the Line" (equator) coin.

I thought the SFO lambsfoot were from Waynorth, no the ramsfoot. Or did he name them both?

I thought the SFO lambsfoot were from Waynorth, no the ramsfoot. Or did he name them both?

I thought he named them both. I'm sure Charlie will be along soon to set the record straight. Maybe I got the idea from the knife coming out with the Ram's Head shield placed on the lower area of the cover????

Hello fellow Gaurdians. There has been a fantastic display of the Lamb Foot knives on the forum, with some brilliant photos posted, congratulations to all those who have managed to purchase one. So i thought i would go down a different track and road test one.
Firstly, they have a fantastic fit and finish which i am sure you already know, but the feel in the hand and the weight of them is fantastic. One of the things i look for in a good working knife is the weight, and these have a good weighty feel without being too heavy. I did some tests straight out of the tube with the factory edge. The first thing i did was slice some tomato, straight through, wafer thin slices. I then sliced an onion into halves, then quarters, then thin slices. I have found that a knife without a really keen edge will veer off to the left or right using this method, this knife sliced straight through. I then sliced cut some potato's into chips, a blade that is too thick at the spine will jam, this knife again just sliced straight through. I then used it to have my steak and chips, sliced through the steak like it was butter, and started a nice patina. This morning i used it to chop up some vegetables and chicken. I then cut up an thick cardboard carton that i had a delivery in, then sliced up some 1/2 inch rope i had, again straight through. So i took it back to the tomato test again, straight through, has really good edge retention. This knife is like a sturdy version of a filleting knife, just a fantastic slicer, due to the design of the blade. In summary, a good all round work knife, with a good weight to it,and edge retention, not just a looker but a performer as well. Congratulations and well done to everyone who had a hand in producing this fine working implement. Excuse my indulgence everyone, but i just wanted to have my opinion out there, as usual i am open to any thoughts on my testing method or criticism of my methods. Have a good day everyone.

just snagged this oily from TKC, I could not resist! Images are from TKC

TpB2BN8.jpg

UFiKt2r.jpg
Appaloosa Oily Creek Bone should be on future GEC knives !

Hello fellow Gaurdians. There has been a fantastic display of the Lamb Foot knives on the forum, with some brilliant photos posted, congratulations to all those who have managed to purchase one. So i thought i would go down a different track and road test one.
Firstly, they have a fantastic fit and finish which i am sure you already know, but the feel in the hand and the weight of them is fantastic. One of the things i look for in a good working knife is the weight, and these have a good weighty feel without being too heavy. I did some tests straight out of the tube with the factory edge. The first thing i did was slice some tomato, straight through, wafer thin slices. I then sliced an onion into halves, then quarters, then thin slices. I have found that a knife without a really keen edge will veer off to the left or right using this method, this knife sliced straight through. I then sliced cut some potato's into chips, a blade that is too thick at the spine will jam, this knife again just sliced straight through. I then used it to have my steak and chips, sliced through the steak like it was butter, and started a nice patina. This morning i used it to chop up some vegetables and chicken. I then cut up an thick cardboard carton that i had a delivery in, then sliced up some 1/2 inch rope i had, again straight through. So i took it back to the tomato test again, straight through, has really good edge retention. This knife is like a sturdy version of a filleting knife, just a fantastic slicer, due to the design of the blade. In summary, a good all round work knife, with a good weight to it,and edge retention, not just a looker but a performer as well. Congratulations and well done to everyone who had a hand in producing this fine working implement. Excuse my indulgence everyone, but i just wanted to have my opinion out there, as usual i am open to any thoughts on my testing method or criticism of my methods. Have a good day everyone.
Thanks for your review, cudgee cudgee !
I don't like to order a knife without doing "due diligence" on its construction, finish, and performance. And I depend primarily on reviews from current owners to get that sort of info. The Waynorth lambsfoots, especially the jigged bone, are incredibly beautiful, and it's encouraging to get a report like this from an "early adopter". Seems like I have another knife to add to the "wish list"! ;):thumbsup::cool:

- GT

How many of you heeded Charlie's admonishment to lubricate your knives? You'd better listen, these things are filthy!

Mine definitely had some grittiness to it when I first got it but some nano-oil seems to have washed it out.

I think the Ram's Head shield is interesting. I don't mind the placement at all, I've seen old knives with the shield there. I wonder if they plan to use it on other patterns.

waynorth waynorth named these knives Ram's Foot and they're great knives. However, the blades on these knives look suspiciously like the Sheepfoot blade:rolleyes: which has been used on knives with a nautical theme. That said; I've photographed my Ram's Foot knife with Cocobolo covers with a Shellback "Crossing the Line" (equator) coin.

F10Bw0v.jpg

Thanks Charlie and GEC for making these knives available.
I'll take the cedit for the Lambs, but Bill and his crew named the Rams!! A tribute to the larger blade is my guess!

I think the Ram's Head shield is interesting. I don't mind the placement at all, I've seen old knives with the shield there. I wonder if they plan to use it on other patterns.
It works well on the jigged bone because they can pin the shield. But they can't use it on smooth materials or they will have to glue the shield instead. It is a super cool shield would love to see it again.

Thanks for the testing cudgee!!! Many will wind up being "Safe Queens", fair enough!! But it's good to know they have good performance in their genes! I have one in my pocket for some real-world use myself!!

Ha, anybody else get the notifications about the antique jigged #93? I got two notifications today, clicked on both within probably 3 seconds, and both sites said Out of Stock. I've never seen that before with any other knife. Seems odd they'd really be OOS that quick, unless my mail is on delay today.

Thanks for the testing cudgee!!! Many will wind up being "Safe Queens", fair enough!! But it's good to know they have good performance in their genes! I have one in my pocket for some real-world use myself!!
No worries mate.The first thing that impressed me was the feel in the hand, has the weight of a good tool. My father, who if still alive would be 107 and went through 2 world wars, fought in one of them and the depression, drummed into me as a kid, buy quality tools and implements. He said if you buy well made tools and look after them they will last you a lifetime. Have a good weekend mate.;)

Back