2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

I believe those were made in Japan, if memory serves.
This one was being sold as original, made in the usa , Winchester. I might still have a pic of it somewhere. If I can find it I will pm it to ya. I would like to see the made in Japan Lamb too. if you have a pic.

This one was being sold as original, made in the usa , Winchester. I might still have a pic of it somewhere. If I can find it I will pm it to ya. I would like to see the made in Japan Lamb too. if you have a pic.

You know, I think I remember that one. It raised some interesting discussion.

The ones that I think might be made in Japan are these ones that are branded as Winchester.

GwSOUMr.jpg

Ramfoot=sheepfoot

It does appear to widened at the end of the blade. Interesting.

So I know I'm going to see this question come up time after time...and I know the comparison to the lambsfoot has been well discussed...but what is the difference between the ramsfoot and a sheepsfoot? It looks like a sheepsfoot to me :)

That's because it IS a Sheepsfoot :thumbsup: I think it's a combination of humour and branding, and GEC confusing traditional knife nomenclature again :rolleyes: ;)

Does anybody know if a traditional lambsfoot pattern has been produced by a US manufacturer before or will this be the first time?

A US-made Lambsfoot is certainly groundbreaking, US owned companies have had Lambsfoot knives made in the Far East, but me and Charlie have been searching for a US-made Lambsfoot for many years, with none found. However, our friend @herder recently turned up this knife from 1905, not referred to as a Lambsfoot, but certainly an interesting find for cutlery historians :thumbsup: The Winchester was a fake, but led to an interesting discussion :thumbsup:

1efmxsl.jpg

That's because it IS a Sheepsfoot :thumbsup: I think it's a combination of humour and branding, and GEC confusing traditional knife nomenclature again :rolleyes: ;)

A US-made Lambsfoot is certainly groundbreaking, US owned companies have had Lambsfoot knives made in the Far East, but me and Charlie have been searching for a US-made Lambsfoot for many years, with none found. However, our friend @herder recently turned up this knife from 1905, not referred to as a Lambsfoot, but certainly an interesting find for cutlery historians :thumbsup: The Winchester was a fake, but led to an interesting discussion :thumbsup:

1efmxsl.jpg
Ok I'm going to facepalm now :) I keep getting told that the ramsfoot is a slightly different shape as a sheepsfoot...where it is a little wider at the tip versus a sheepsfoot being parallel to the edge.
But now what I see you saying is that there is no difference in shape and the ramsfoot is exactly the same as a sheepsfoot. Why would GEC do that if they already have a sheepsfoot blade?

1efmxsl.jpg

Thank you for the information Jack. Certainly that is an interesting find; I am not familiar with washington cutlery co.

Ok I'm going to facepalm now :) I keep getting told that the ramsfoot is a slightly different shape as a sheepsfoot...where it is a little wider at the tip versus a sheepsfoot being parallel to the edge.
But now what I see you saying is that there is no difference in shape and the ramsfoot is exactly the same as a sheepsfoot. Why would GEC do that if they already have a sheepsfoot blade?

I think that's because people kept trying to guess what this blade was going to be ;)

All companies do that, why did Joseph Rodgers take an existing blade used on Ettrick knives, and on their own Norfolk knife for example, and call it a Wharncliffe (though they also fitted that blade to a specific pattern)? ;) :thumbsup:

I am rather positive it is all about marketing. Sure it might be slightly different than their typical sheepfoot blades but it is still a sheepfoot nonetheless, despite the "clever" name.

I think I'm just going to stop telling folks one way or the other until they are produced then I can just point to a photo :) Thanks guys Im trying to stay informed as always :thumbsup:

I have to agree with Jack, that a ramsfoot is a sheepfoot, and I said so several pages back. Anyone who has more than a few stockman patterns will find several that have a widening sheepfoot from the plunge toward the tip. My Schrade Heritage that I'm carrying today measures 0.45" just ahead of the sharpening notch, and 0.50" just before it bends down to the tip. Very common.

HeritageXXsheepfoot.jpg

Back