2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the brand name of this knife is essentially Bladeforums and GEC is making both the Northfield and Tidioute in the regular run. We can talk our way into either trim; or a combination (example, my beloved satin finish on Northfield trim). Bill has seemed very interested in making a unique knife for the group; thus although there will probably be a couple of rules that are based on tried/true reasons, I think they would be very accommodating. Having said that - GEC means I have to do a lot of work and actually develop new function on my website - SO, I am voting Buck (humor, not voting).

skblades skblades any idea on the cost (or at least a starting cost, or general price range) for the Vanguard? It seems like there was a lot of discussion last year about price (in particular, keeping it at or under that $100 mark), yet the option currently leading this poll costs between $105 (w/ a rubber handle) and $120 (the knife shown in post #1) on Buck's website. I would guess that the cost of a custom configuration would likely start at that $120 mark and go up from there, but perhaps I'm wrong?

Well I would start by saying that the 2018 301 would have had an MSRP of $122 (you all paid $71), but because we have to do this project at cost, only Buck makes the profit as they see fit. The same will be true of this knife. To sum up, basically the knife will be under $100 and we would have a lot of play with some cool materials.

Thank you to all involved. Your work and sacrifice is appreciated to bring us all a little joy. The Porch a bastion of positivity, but I think members bare their teeth a little when this topic comes around each year. I hope everyone can keep it as friendly as it usually is.

I'm leaning towards the GEC 86, as it would be the knife I'd use the most. I love sheepsfoot blades, so I'm glad that that's already locked down. If every one of my daily pocket knives had a straight edged blade I'd be a happy camper. It's a little bigger than my preference, as I like my knives to fit comfortably in my watch pocket, but maybe I'd change my ways if it found its way into my collection.

Since the brand name of this knife is essentially Bladeforums and GEC is making both the Northfield and Tidioute in the regular run. We can talk our way into either trim; or a combination (example, my beloved satin finish on Northfield trim). Bill has seemed very interested in making a unique knife for the group; thus although there will probably be a couple of rules that are based on tried/true reasons, I think they would be very accommodating. Having said that - GEC means I have to do a lot of work and actually develop new function on my website - SO, I am voting Buck (humor, not voting).

Last year saw the release of the 78s, all of them had end caps except for the M&G SFOs which were barehead. Is it reasonable to expect that we could request such an option on the 86?

This is great fun this sweet controversy. I really mean it. All year we knife nerds feed on inanities. Knife discussions are not the most stimulating the rest of the year.
The wonderful people who volunteer their time to consider our cutlery whims in order to satisfy the membership are saints. I am so grateful for those who make this knife happiness possible.
Thank you

I voted for the buck, then changed it to the GEC... and I can’t promise my vote won’t change again.
I did too. I think I'll stick with the 86.
If it advances... Rat tail bolsters!

Could. But won't. The #86 pattern is billed as a "heavy" jack because the blades are going to be significantly more robust than standard. I have a 5'2" brother that weighs 300lbs; I would have to rethink my whole childhood if I changed my description of this knife.... (complete lie about my brother being 5'2" and 300lbs)
Is his name Jack?

Well I would start by saying that the 2018 301 would have had an MSRP of $122 (you all paid $71), but because we have to do this project at cost, only Buck makes the profit as they see fit. The same will be true of this knife. To sum up, basically the knife will be under $100 and we would have a lot of play with some cool materials.

Thanks for the info, that’s why I asked. :thumbsup:

GEC 86 all the way. That little fox knife does look pretty neat, but it doesn't stand a chance.

I voted buck, cause I like bucks. although the longer blade version of the 192 I'd highly prefer but I realize I'd be alone on that. the gec is my next pick but the single blade and sheepsfoot isnt thrilling me, but when I see the pic being made of it I may be swayed to seeing it better than I am now. regardless thanks to all for making it happen whichever wins.

I've been pondering some things today as I've watched the discussion here unfold. My experience in the relatively few years that I have been involved with the forum knife discussions has been that the discussion can get lively, sometimes even bordering on the mean spirited. We, as knife enthusiasts, are picky people in general with discriminating tastes.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure, as the saying goes.

Such is the way of these discussions and I think it healthy to discuss likes and dislikes, pros and cons, etc. What I do not care for is what appears to be an "us versus them" sort of mentality that is pervading the conversation. Those of us who spend most of our time in the Traditionals forum tend to have a preference towards what this sub is all about. As such, it shouldn't be surprising that we have a preference towards a knife, maker, and pattern that would generally get discussed at considerable length here. On the flip side of that coin, the folks over at the Buck forum are demonstrating a predictable preference for something that they would undoubtedly discuss at length over in their neck of the woods. There is nothing wrong with this really but we are seeing perhaps an unintended consequence where we are getting pitted against one another. I would venture to guess that there are far more traditional enthusiasts here that are more open to a Buck option than there are Buck enthusiasts who are open to a GEC option and I've seen far more hostility coming from the latter (past and present) for unexplained reasons.

I don't particularly understand it. The BladeForums Annual Forum knife has always been hosted by the Traditionals forum or at least by those who inevitably ended up here (I am not sure how old the traditionals sub is) and even though it is a BladeForums knife, the pattern and manufacturer has largely been decided upon by the folks in this very sub. Though it can be difficult for some of us to swallow, there are no restrictions for outside parties coming in and lending their voices to the conversation. All I would respectfully ask is that you do so, knowing the spirit in which this knife is being designed and made and knowing that this endeavor is important to a good many of us.

Based on previous conversations, there could be a strong likelihood that this is our last forum knife. It will mark the 10th year or dot, so to speak, and after that, who knows what will happen. Regardless, we should probably treat every year as if it were the last so why not attempt to go out with a bang? That ultimately will be the driving factor behind my decisions during this process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back