#81 Bull Moose Thread

None for me this round, but that canvas micarta is tough to ignore. It just screams "working knife". I almost always prefer a Northfield option, because I love the swedges and long pulls, but I'd take a Tidioute this time around.

IMHO, canvas micarta is premium enough to be featured on a Northfield. I'd love to see it some day.

I wasn't really interested in one of these either, until seeing that antique amber jigged bone. Might grab one and do the sheepsfoot mod, as somehow I just wasn't attracted to the Churchill.

I had to order the natural micarta as well. I really like the red but the natural will look pretty nice with the forum barlow if the moose moves to user status and replaces the Russell muskrat I'm currently carrying in the pocket. Moose in the pocket, barlow on the hip, and a natural micarta spyderco native in the vest hand pocket for one-handed stuff around the warehouse. I'm really digging the character the natural micarta gets after a while in the pocket and in use.

Gotta have half stops for me. May order one variant just to see the acclaimed "9" factory effort.

I am keen on the red micarta, the natural micarta, the osage orange, the antique bone and the ebony looks like its going to be a winner too!

I took advantage of a few brief minutes of sunshine to get a few photos up. Here's what I think so far:

7zvOyG3.jpg

First, these blade shapes are awesome. The clip is canted at a good angle for slicing bread, and presents the tip easily to plastic and packages without having to crook your wrist over. The spear presents the milimeter of cutting edge just under the tip to the work, just what you want for whittling or removing annoying bits of skin around nails. You can show a little more restraint about poking things than you can with the clip. Together, they make a great pair.

This isn't uncommon on a pocket knife blade this long, but the spear had an almost imperceptable difference in thickness right in the middle of the edge, which made putting the initial edge on unexpectedly tricky and time consuming. I don't like to lose a molecule off the breadth of the blade if I don't need to, and it meant more marking and inspection to get to a full length apex without grinding the blade narrower. As usual with GEC, both bevels broadened toward the tip, the spear much moreso than the clip.

I should mention that both blades came easy paper cutting sharp. Good factory work. I used the factory edge to cut threads and cord for my Halloween costume.

The handle is roomy and very comfortable, even moreso than my cardboard model predicted:

tLlAaV9.jpg

The blades don't get in the way when gripping for hard cuts. Instead, I found that the unused blade fell comfortably into the cleft formed by the first joint up from my knuckle, and helped me gain leverage with twisting motions. When pushing hard through wood, the unused blade squeezes in a bit, but never makes contact with any part of the blade well. No blade rap, no tip touching. No blade play up or down or side to side at all. That's very surprising, because the pulls are LIGHT. I'd call them a 4, if an oiled Swiss Army knife is a 5. This is good news to me, but will be bad news to some.

Another thing that will be bad news to some is the lack of half stops. To me, this is a safety feature that was part of the reason for biying this knife and phasing out my 74. I've had several incidents where the half stop made it difficult and unsafe to close the blade in a dangerous situation, and on one occasion the half stop snap did cut someone who wasn't expecting it. The half stop also makes opening the knife much more hazardous to my nails. The lack of half stops on these is a key feature, for me.

Here's the knife with a pocket slip I made:

rROyUBi.jpg

I find the moose green very dark but very vivid. I like it.

About that 9 effort: the knife is finished very well, but what stand out to me are the pivots. They are uncanny smooth. I don't just mean not gritty. I don't just mean not slow. I mean the force needed to open the blade remains EXACTLY the same through the entire rotation of opening the blade. It's one of those satisfying mechanical feelings that feels physically pleasurable. The blades click sharply into place closing and opening.

Here's a photo of the knife next to my very used Schrade 881, for which I originally made the pocket slip.
SV86U3c.jpg

You can see in this photo how spoiled we are for fit and tolerances by GEC. GEC on the left, Schrade 881 on the right. (Bought new in package by the way.)

EwM4SW1.jpg

The 81 is everything I hoped it would be, and will be replacing my 74 in my pocket.

I'm not planning on picking one of these up but oh man I like that antique amber jigged bone. Has a lot of the same coloration as my antique amber TC

I'm becoming more excited for this. I really have found half-stops to be a deal breaker for ones I intend to use as I have slipped out of the nail nick more than once while opening when the springs are stiff.

These pictures have not been helping my anticipation but I did get the shipping notice so I can expect my natty canvas micarta to be here soon.

I was surprised to pull out my Osage from the mail this weekend to find the satin bolsters! It is larger than I would typically carry, but I dont own any osage orange covers yet, and the pull is light and silky smooth on both blades. It will make a terrific user.

jprime84 jprime84 Let us know if you post a youtube video!

These appear to have a higher polish on the covers compared to the the 54 appaloosa run earlier this year. I'm liking what I see so far... looking forward to seeing one in person.

IMG_1910.jpg

Back