Amsterdam Meet 2012 Report

Eric Glesser shows Spyderco shows and talks about Spyderco’s new collaboration with custom knifemaker Gayle Bradley, the Air.

[video=youtube;3cXE2Zz0B94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cXE2Zz0B94&hd=1[/video]

You're not helping my budget issues posting that video of the Air! As a guy who started his knife obsession on Spydies, but have moved most of my attention on to "traditional" slipjoints and such, this bridges that gap perfectly, IMO.

That's the only "must buy" for me out of these knew blades.

the air really is a modern take on the traditional pocket knife. I really like the cf but i think it would look even better with some nickel or brass bolsters. i hope it has a traditional feel in-hand

I really like the Southard designed flipper, but I wish the cutout/relief for releasing the liner lock wasn't so deep. I realize everyone has their preference and it's always a compromise between safety and ease of disengagement, but I prefer to lean towards preventing accidental disengagement.. The Ulrich Hennicke Ulize folder is also pretty sweet too, as so is the Starmate.

Last edited:
I really like the Southard designed flipper, but I wish the cutout/relief for releasing the liner lock wasn't so deep. I realize everyone has their preference and it's always a compromise between safety and ease of disengagement, but I prefer to lean towards preventing accidental disengagement.. The Ulrich Hennicke Ulize folder is also pretty sweet too, as so is the Starmate.

I agree stylistically. I don't plan on using the hole for deployment much. However I don't think it's a safety issue with a framelock. Might be with a linerlock.

Are framelocks less prone to accidentally unlocking if there is twisting force on the handle? (I always picture a finger pulling it open). Is it because the force from a tight grip keeps the lock engaged?
MountainBilly - it didn't occur to me that the large cutout was there to accommodate the spydie hole until you pointed it out :eek:. I guess without the cutout it would have a hump on the blade to allow the hole to be exposed. So i guess my only remaining concern is whether I can afford it.. i'm guessing it will be over $200 .

Are framelocks less prone to accidentally unlocking if there is twisting force on the handle? (I always picture a finger pulling it open). Is it because the force from a tight grip keeps the lock engaged?

I'm not sure, I would imagine they are similar in the twisting force respect. but that twisting force is a completely separate issue than the cut out leading to an accidental lock release that you first asked about. So now, I'm not sure what you have a problem with. :confused:

I still think the Air needs a clip. A linerlock loose in a pocket sounds like a good way to slice my fingers up or open my femoral artery.

Love that silver twill G-10 though.

I still think the Air needs a clip. A linerlock loose in a pocket sounds like a good way to slice my fingers up or open my femoral artery.

The Air seems a bit like a replacement for the old VG-10 Kiwis with the premium scales. Perhaps it will also come with a leather pouch.

Eric Glesser presents the new Chaparall Titan Stealth, at this year's IWA show in Germany.

[video=youtube;jmx2ezc-ee8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmx2ezc-ee8&hd=1[/video]

The Chapparal Stealth is a beautiful knife, with CTS-XHP I th it will make an outstanding gents knife. I am blown away y the pattern on the Ti scales, can't say I've seen anything quite like it. Thanks for the video Mr. B. :thumbup:

I could do without the clip but a lanyard hole would be a plus for me.

I was swamped with requests to show the Li´l Matriarch after the Amsterdam Meet. Unfortunately it was a concept model, meaning I can´t show it. I passed the requests onto Eric Glesser and he cooperated to give this sneak peek at the Li´l Matriarch. I didn´t get any extra info about the edge configurations, but I hope it will be offered with full serrations.

[video=youtube;eNuMvGORtM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNuMvGORtM0&hd=1[/video]

Last edited:
Back