Amsterdam Meet 2013 Report of Upcoming Spyderco Prototypes

What kind of handle material on this knife? I think someone said Bioblu for the Carpenter employees and they may go with g10 or SS for the general public.

I hope to see some pictures of this knife in its final form.

I believe you're right bioblu......

I'm more excited about the Delica Super Blue now that we know it's laminated with something harder than 420J2.

The long-awaited return of the Smilin' Croc! The C44 Dyad is one of the very few knives that I'm happy to see four-way clip option on. I just hope the extra liners don't bulk it up too much.

The Hungarian Ethnic Folder was an intriguing design. Based on looks, the bolster/blade ramp area looked terribly uncomfortable to hold – to me at least. However, when I held the design in my hands, it ‘clicked’. It’s easy to grip and operate. Its slender long design with contoured handle scales reminded me a lot of some of the finer Laguiole knives. I’m afraid I didn’t get any specific info on this design, from Sal or Eric’s presentation.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_hungarianethnicfolder.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_hungarianethnicfolder_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_hungarianethnicfolder_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_hungarianethnicfolder_spine.jpg

The specifications we measured for the Hungarian Ethnic Folder are:

Blade Length: 9,3 cm / 3.66 inch
Overall Length: 21,5 cm / 8.46 inch

beautiful! and i love how XHP is becoming the standard steel. Seems like its almost replacing s30v

I was happy to see the Jot Singh Khalsa return. I know the design gets a lot of flak from its looks, but the little knife is surprisingly useful in my experience. The large hump is meant to mimic a guard and I found it to be useful in all sorts of EDC cutting tasks. I took some extra pictures of this knife in my hand, to illustrate this.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa.jpg

The main reason to bring the Khalsa back was both customer demand and to do it right. The maker at the time apparently couldn’t quite get the quality where it could be. I have one of the old Khalsas and while the knife is –to me- certainly good, the tolerances and lock-up could be better. None of these issues showed in this prototype. The fit and finish was excellent, lock up was tight and the knife just felt very solid in my hands. I will definitely try to get this updated version of the Spyderco Jot Singh Khalsa.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa_blade1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa_blade2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa_inhand1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa_inhand2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_jotsinghkhalsa_inhand3.jpg

The approximate specs for the Khalsa proto are:

Blade Length: 7,7 cm / 3.03 inch
Overall Length: 17,7 cm / 6.96 inch

The Karahawk was not my personal cup of tea, but judging from the comments on my video from SHOT, I realize I’m probably in the minority on this. The blade will be VG-10 and it is planned to come out later this year. I didn’t catch any other specifics from Sal or Eric’s presentation on this knife.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_karahawk.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_karahawk_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_karahawk_blade2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_karahawk_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_karahawk_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_karahawk_blade1.jpg

The specs we measured for the Karahawk are:

Blade Length: 6 cm / 2.36 inch
Overall Length: 16,5 cm / 6.49 inch

I know the sprint run Lava in blue G-10 is eagerly anticipated by some forumites. And I must agree that the knife is very nice with a G-10 handle. The knife felt a lot lighter in the hand, compared to the SS version. This knife was hard to photograph on the blue cloth background I had with me. I’m not really happy with how these pics turned out, but I hope they give you a decent idea on how the knife will look.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_lavablueg10.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_lavablueg10_handle.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_lavablueg10_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_lavablueg10_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_lavablueg10_clipside.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_prototype_lavablueg10_spine.jpg

The approximate specifications for the Blue G-1o Lava are:

Blade Length: 4,7 cm / 1.85 inch
Overall Length: 13,1 cm / 5.15 inch

Finally we got to see a new version of the venerable Kiwi. Two versions were shown, one version in jigged bone with bolsters and a stepped blade profile, just like the original smaller kiwi, and this G-10 concept model with a smooth blade profile. I thought the enlarged design worked well in the hand. I’m so used to the smaller model, I figured this larger version would feel ‘off’ – it didn’t. Nice and light with a high-tech flair. This could be a nice utility folder, but the black did seem a bit boring. For this gent’s knife I’d personally prefer something like silver G10 or carbon fiber.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_conceptmodel_kiwig10.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_conceptmodel_kiwig10_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_conceptmodel_kiwig10_handle1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_conceptmodel_kiwig10_spine.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_conceptmodel_kiwig10_reverse.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_conceptmodel_kiwig10_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2013_conceptmodel_kiwig10_handle2.jpg

The Kiwi G-10 Concept Model measured as follows:

Blade Length: 7,5 cm / 2.95 inch
Overall Length: 17,1 cm / 6.7 inch

Still more to come tomorrow...

The Hungarian is beautiful! I don't think I've been so stunned by a knife in a long time. Can't wait for that one! Any word if we can expect it this year?

Mr bloned thank you for telling me my future.......poverty strate up poverty....

Oh yeah, my personal thanks as well Mr. Blonde for your yearly efforts of Spydies' latest!

This thread is so bad for my wallet.

Agreed. Spyderco seems to have marketing down perfect. I always say "I'm done with buying knives" and then I see the new year's line-up... and there goes the budget.

That looks like a Millie had sex with a Kershaw JYD and had an illegitimate love-child. I'd buy it.

Love the Kiwi, and the Damascus Delica is starting to look very appealing.

Really like the Blue Chad Los Banos Lava as well.

Last edited:
Back