Anyone else as ridiculously excited for the Nirvana as I am?

the blade has a pocket on each side to accommodate a caged bearing. on my custom knives I mill the slit 2 thousandths slimmer than the overall thickness of the blade with bearings installed. this allows the bearings to settle in the ti and create there own race over time. removal and reassembly is very easy and requires little effort.

Thanks for the info Peter. Looking forward to handling it when it comes out, if I like it I'll buy it :D

I was talking with someone a while ago about makers who use spyder-holes, and whether Rassenti would get a collaboration next... half joking. I made a post yesterday about CRK making a Rassenti mid-tech... completely joking. Now I see Rassenti really will be collaborating with Spyderco, and it's the Nirvana. I have never been looking forward to a knife release more... dead serious. This is brilliant. It looks like it's going to be an integral too... wow. I don't care if it goes for 500$, I want one.

I agree the price is going to be the most interesting part of the release for me. It's a great looking knife, but if the price is within spitting distance of a Sebenza 25, I will have a tough time parting with the money. Spyderco's Taiwan knives are great, but $400 or more for one is a tough sell--for me.

I agree the price is going to be the most interesting part of the release for me. It's a great looking knife, but if the price is within spitting distance of a Sebenza 25, I will have a tough time parting with the money. Spyderco's Taiwan knives are great, but $400 or more for one is a tough sell--for me.

Good call. This is by far the 'most anticipated release' for me, but hopefully it won't cost 500$. Spyderco tends to post high MSRP's, but allows far lower pricing for online retailers. Given this will be a titanium integral on bearings, though... I don't think it'll be cheap. I would guess it ends up somewhere between the Rubicon-Slysz Bowie range of @280$ and the Lion Steel Ti-Spine or SR1 price of @390$... so maybe 335-340$. If it comes in under that, it'll do well, I think. Over 340$, it might be a tougher sell, simply because, as you mentioned, there's still that reticence to pay big money for a knife with a 'made in Taiwan' stamp. It won't stop me from buying it, but I'm one of those 'ridiculously excited' folks the OP was talking about. I think a premium steel would be a very good idea, as it helps justify the price for those on the fence: CTS-204P, S90V, S110V, even Vanax. IMO, anyway.

Isn't that a Spyderco design too (the AFCK)? :confused:

I think the blade shape of the Spyderco Nirvana looks more like a Benchmade AFCK than a 761.

DSC_3572_resize.jpg~original

spyderco_amsterdammeet2015_productionprototype_nirvana.jpg

No, I think Spyderco was the company the designer had in mind, but they passed, so Benchmade released it. The 761 might look like the Nirvana, but it doesn't work the other way around without time travel being involved... Rassenti's design has been around long before the 761 debuted.

I hope Spyderco releases that prototype as is, with S90V. Perfect. Well, a sculpted clip would be cool, but whatever. The Brend Mamba is almost as exciting, and the Myrtle is very interesting, and a bit eccentric. I'm liking these Taiwanese designs a lot.

No, I think Spyderco was the company the designer had in mind, but they passed, so Benchmade released it. The 761 might look like the Nirvana, but it doesn't work the other way around without time travel being involved... Rassenti's design has been around long before the 761 debuted.

I hope Spyderco releases that prototype as is, with S90V. Perfect. Well, a sculpted clip would be cool, but whatever. The Brend Mamba is almost as exciting, and the Myrtle is very interesting, and a bit eccentric. I'm liking these Taiwanese designs a lot.

OK, you made me search :), found it. The AFCK is a Spyderco, I knew I wasn't going crazy.

"The AFCK was originally based on the Spyderco Police Model (hence the "bent" handle, hole, clip & teeth). Chris Carraci was the original "design start". Chris felt that the Police Model could be improved on with his modifications. "

The man who went on to create B****made was contracted to fabricate.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=352 That's a 15 year old post, by the way.

Last edited:
OK, you made me search :), found it. The AFCK is a Spyderco, I knew I wasn't going crazy.

"The AFCK was originally based on the Spyderco Police Model (hence the "bent" handle, hole, clip & teeth). Chris Carraci was the original "design start". Chris felt that the Police Model could be improved on with his modifications. "

The man who went on to create B****made was contracted to fabricate.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?t=352 That's a 15 year old post, by the way.

Yeah... he was planning on selling the design to Spyderco, but Benchmade made it after Spyderco passed. Hence the big butterfly. But the AFCK was never made by Spyderco, as far as I know.

It sure as hell looked like one, though... that's the 'Police' model inspiration, I guess. A lot of people really liked that knife. I'm surprised they discontinued it.

KnifeCenter has the Nirvana on preorder for $429.95 which is 40% off MSRP ($719.95).

Nirvana was the 2015 Blade Show Imported Knife Of The Year.

OCKAnirvana.jpgNot sure about the reliability of KC pre order lists from what I've heard. But does this give us any idea of when it might be released? I must have it! Although price is $100 over where I was hoping it would be (Pic = me holding luscious proto from Eugene show in April)

Last edited:
Prices are right where I was expecting. Release date is said to be around Nov/Dec. According to a friend who Spoke with Sal at Blade 2015. Knifeworks may come in a few bucks cheaper in the coming months. In the meantime, I preordered this one with KC.

It's a nice knife. I don't know if I'll want to pay that much for it...
Sonnydaze

nope, nice knife but way to expensive.
I wonder where Spyderco is heading with those prices?

I was thinking $350 to $400 as a want to go to knife but at $430 to $730 is just going over the 'hill' for the average Buyer.!
I have to have 2 of these though as one is a user and the other hits the Collection Safe as it just keeps on growing bigger
and better every year.!** { if it's a Spydie ~~ I am going to buy.* }

Back