• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

BAD- Received Rocks vice Rockstead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be a minority here ... but the video seems hokey ... it could be the seller is a grade A thief ... but something off about video taping unpacking it and already the buyer stating he had a pit in his stomach ...

And the reaction seemed off to me ... I'd be way more pissed ... but this is why if selling it buying from an unknown person I request signature confirmation ... and I MAKE MY MAILMAN WATCH ME OPEN THE PACKAGE ...

I can't call it or know for sure but somebody really crossed lines here.

I felt the same way when I watched the video. I have no idea either way but it felt off to me.

They do and the weight is on the receipt.
I don't see it on the receipts I'm looking at. (I don't mean to argue, since I might be overlooking it) It's for a 2-day priority small flat rate box, and I see: the price/expected delivery date/tracking #, but no weight. :confused:

I don't see it on the receipts I'm looking at. (I don't mean to argue, since I might be overlooking it) It's for a 2-day priority small flat rate box, and I see: the price/expected delivery date/tracking #, but no weight. :confused:
I shipped a package yesterday and I've got the receipt in front of me right now. It wasn't an official Priority box but it was a box and I shipped it Priority Mail.

The weight is on my receipt but that might be because at both of our post offices, the scales are on the countertop between the customer and the clerk. I have a habit of setting the box on the scale when I approach the counter instead of setting it on the countertop. Maybe they only use the scale because I do that.

I shipped a package yesterday and I've got the receipt in front of me right now. It wasn't an official Priority box but it was a box and I shipped it Priority Mail.

The weight is on my receipt but that might be because at both of our post offices, the scales are on the countertop between the customer and the clerk. I have a habit of setting the box on the scale when I approach the counter instead of setting it on the countertop. Maybe they only use the scale because I do that.
It's because it wasn't a flat rate box.

I always take my priority mail flat rate box to the counter, to get a receipt (you need to have proof of receipt to make an insurance claim). They always weigh the box. I can’t say for sure the weight gets printed on the receipt, but it’s in the system.

I can second this ...

I always take my priority mail flat rate box to the counter, to get a receipt (you need to have proof of receipt to make an insurance claim). They always weigh the box. I can’t say for sure the weight gets printed on the receipt, but it’s in the system.

I not only take it to the counter for weight but I do not print tags at home and slap them on and give them to the mailman ...

I go to the post office so I watch them scan it in and get a receipt to have and all the receipts go in a small index card holder and are saved at least until the buyer receives the package and has time to open it ...

and I request that the buyer please email or PM when the package arrives ... then we email to be sure everything is good and then and only then I consider it case closed ...

But the receipts and emails or PMs or texts I keep for a month or two just in case.

I keep thinking this thread will die out but everytime I look it's still not only here but on page one ...

I wish there were a simple way both parties can be whole and get past it ... but it seems not much communication between them so I won't hold my breath.

And just an FYI ... there are alternatives to USPS insurance through a couple third party providers and I highly recommend those that have had issues with claims look into those.

- JJ

One tidbit of info which I had not known about till very recently despite shipping thousands upon thousands of items using USPS Priority Mail, they seem to take photos of the higher value packages (like Priority Mail) at the recipient's local USPS before they are loaded on the route carrier's truck. We are not talking a whole bunch of pictures from every angle and I still don't know the reason for it!

This method may be a hit and miss type of thing, but when I went to my local USPS a couple of month ago I was surprised that they had a photo of one of my packages (outbound to me) showing the label and they confirmed that was on the truck already! I had just gone down there bright and early to collect in person and that's the story.

In general, many people seem to place blame on theft occurring along the transit and as a very likely inside job but I remain skeptical about the purported high percentages.

Same here, I use a usps box and mail it at the counter. I'll have to pay attention and ask about the weight next time.

If you sign up for an account on the USPS website,
you can look at pictures of your packages before they get to you:cool:

Edit... it’s still letter size pix only

Last edited:
I suppose everyone that buys a lot of knives gets scammed or looses a parcel every once in a while. It happened to me with a rather rare knife, and I was more pissed about not getting the knife over loosing the money. The rocks however, make this sale right up there with the woman that found leftover potatoes in her new Blackfriday iPhone box, inrockstead of an iPhone.

They do always weigh the box. They have told me numerous times, after weighing light medium flat rate boxes, that it would be cheaper if I mail it first class. And maybe it’s those receipts I am remembering with the weight on them.
Either way they definitely weigh them and definitely have record of that weight.

Here's the timeline:

Monday 340pm: wife signed for package and put it on my desk. No one else is home and she does not touch the packages I receive or open any mail of mine (she knows I record all openings).

Wednesday around 2am: I get home from the airport, I was out of state for a wedding. I immediately went to bed.

Wednesday at 740am: I leave the house in a rush to drop my son off at school and get to work, box was grabbed and put in my gym bag.

Wednesday 1032am (according to video timestamp): I unbox the Rockstead package. My suspicion arose once I was sitting at my desk and grabbed it from my bag and actually paid attention to the feel of the box. Package went from my desk to gym bag, and carried to my access controlled office in which no one is there unless I'm in it too.
Do you live on base or off base? If you live on base you might be the victim of an on base theft and need to report it to your command and the on base post office. Also if you have Marine buddies that know you collect knives, don't put it past them, that this is one elaborate prank. We used to mess with guys in the barracks out of sheer boredom. Hope you get it all sorted out.

I’m curious about the wording “rocks vice rockstead” and what it means

Reactions: mb>
me too. It's nearly impossible to determine what they are when they're dry in a bag that's been shaken around in postage... Id love to get a better look
I would love to see how this one turns out.

This. I always get a receipt at the PO so they can't say they have no record of it.

It’s an acceptance receipt from the PO stating the time the PO accepted it. Yes, the weight of the package is on the receipt

I’m curious about the wording “rocks vice rockstead” and what it means

Maybe meant to say, "Rocks versus Roackstead" but in the heat of the battle misspelled the word and the autocorrect used "vice" instead? This is much more comforting to me as an explanation than the other one, having read through that the OP could be a marine chopper pilot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back