Becker East Fall 2016 Gathering

Figured it out. I laid my machax alongside for size comparison. But that is a 1/4" thick slab of 5160. I have a few of them that need to be turned into something useful

that just proves my point!

you bringing any of the family?

Hell i dont know yet. Jareds grades havnt been good enough so i told him there was no way i was letting him ditch school to go like i did last year. Hes pissed, but it worked. His grades are coming up..... Allen will be there same as last, hes bringing his wife which you guys will all love . She of coarse wants Gina to go which of coarse i dont care but first she said yes, then no, then yes. You know how it goes man. All i know is im leaving very early thursday with whoever is in the passenger seat. Lol. Gonna bring Ethan som more belts for communal shop work.

Damn.

qhAs2wE.jpg

It's been a good hot minute since I made it to one of these and it looks like I might just be able to go. Put me down as a maybe!

From the pictures I'm guessing one or two of you guys might have the know how to help me do something with at least one of those big blanks. Probably bring all three and donate two of them to someone who can use them

here's a question -- how many want to camp up on the ridge and how many would like to do a repeat of the "sprawling house party"
even if folks prefer the ridge, we will probably be doing suppers on the patio.

I'll respond cryptically by saying... yes.

I personally don't care. I've slept everywhere on Half Moon Ridge except in Ethan's bed. For the right price, I may even consider that.

I dont really care where i sleep either but up on the ridge in my normal spot suites me fine. I know one thing though, im not being lured into Dereks room with candy anymore.

I'm easy to please. I've got a hammock and a bivy. I can sleep wherever. I'll bring steel and belts. We can make some crazy stuff.

I'll camp wherever, but I always like woodsier locations. (I know, my vocabulary is impressive). I'll try to snag some type of material to learn some knife making skills. Not sure of any local places to buy carbon steel stock... any suggestions?

Well I have steel to bring, but do I need to bring belts as well? If so, what size, grit, type? I'm uneducated here.

I'll camp wherever, but I always like woodsier locations. (I know, my vocabulary is impressive). I'll try to snag some type of material to learn some knife making skills. Not sure of any local places to buy carbon steel stock... any suggestions?

What kind of stock so you want? I have some I could share, but only two kinds.

Im only bringing 120 grit and 36. Maybe a scotchbrite.. If you wanna finish it finer youre gonna be out of luck.. Lol

Sent from my RS987 using Tapatalk

Also you can buy some small stock at smoky mountain knife works, but they are proud of it.

Im only bringing 120 grit and 36. Maybe a scotchbrite.. If you wanna finish it finer youre gonna be out of luck.. Lol

Sent from my RS987 using Tapatalk

I'm not interested in a mirror polish, at least not right away. I prefer function over form anyway. Just a bonus if I can have both. I'd like to do something with one of my big 5160 blanks and maybe make a kephart out of some of this 1095 bar stock

School is taking too much of my time right now. Maybe I will see you folks at the next one.

Have fun.

A buddy of mine uses old files for practice. Tosses them in the coals and let's them burn out then cool on their own to soften them up for working.

I have RR spikes, a couple horseshoes, and some rebar (for making non-cutlery items)
Ethan has a 2x72 VS grinder.
it would be helpful if someone local could bring a couple anvil stumps.
there are plenty of woods near the house for hanging/setting up tents
if nobody is camping under the back awning of the shop, I think that's where we should et up the forge -- so the noise isn't as disruptive to those who want to chat in front of the shop.
not sure what kind of shape the road to the top of the ridge is in - E says there's been a lot of rain since the last gathering.

Back