Benchmade Fakes, knock-offs, counterfeits thread...

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the lettering on "S90V" looks to be hollow? The 940-1 I purchased directly from the Benchmade factory has solid lettering where it says "S90V".

Mine is also a completely different font. I'm not confident in the authenticity of your knife.

Care to pull a 940-1 from the shelf and check the lettering, Jimmy Benchmade Benchmade ?

The laser marking does look pretty light compared to what our 940-1 normally looks like. It's tough to tell in the picture but the S90V shouldn't be "hollow". Everything else looks correct though. The laser marks can fade if they are washed and wiped down frequently.

Need some help with my North Fork...

Bought it from REI this week, where I was able to look at about six of them and check for blade play and wood grain pattern. I picked what I felt was the best example they offered but upon closer inspection at home, I noticed some differences in the laser etchings between my version and the ones I've seen posted online. The optimist in me assumes they've just updated the etchings but my inner cynic thinks there could be a chance of some return-fraud. Any help would be much appreciated as the email I received from Benchmade said they wouldn't verify authenticity without having the knife sent in (and having just bought it, am hesitant to part with it so quickly).

An example of mine, along with some online counterparts:
mlJ9tnt.jpg

More examples of just mine:
G2w5PKn.jpg

kkxgcjV.jpg

QvlNBJW.jpg

Ow5m5xk.jpg

cv4nRQ9.jpg

Thanks guys.

Is real. I think you're fine as all my knives are different from the website. If you have doubt go exchange it. Rei is great with the return policy.

Last edited:

Bought it from REI this week, where I was able to look at about six of them and check for blade play and wood grain pattern. I picked what I felt was the best example they offered but upon closer inspection at home, I noticed some differences in the laser etchings between my version and the ones I've seen posted online. The optimist in me assumes they've just updated the etchings but my inner cynic thinks there could be a chance of some return-fraud. Any help would be much appreciated as the email I received from Benchmade said they wouldn't verify authenticity without having the knife sent in (and having just bought it, am hesitant to part with it so quickly).

mlJ9tnt.jpg

G2w5PKn.jpg

kkxgcjV.jpg

QvlNBJW.jpg

Ow5m5xk.jpg

cv4nRQ9.jpg

Thanks guys.
Your 100% good

G2w5PKn.jpg

Thanks guys.

It's real. The uneven grind on the tip is one of Benchmade's signature moves.

I recently found a butterfly knife in a box I haven’t seen in a while. It says it’s a Benchmade I don’t know for sure. Tried looking up ways to tell I think it is but I just wana double check. If it is a fake oh well still a cool knife. Please email me if you can help
lancefinchum14@icloud.com

I recently found a butterfly knife in a box I haven’t seen in a while. It says it’s a Benchmade I don’t know for sure. Tried looking up ways to tell I think it is but I just wana double check. If it is a fake oh well still a cool knife. Please email me if you can help
lancefinchum14@icloud.com
Please post pictures. Upload them to imgur or postimg and link them here. Or use the bbcode.

I bought this years ago at a pawn shop for $5. I had no idea what Benchmade was and didn't question it. It was just a knife that I liked. It's been my favorite knife for years and lately my husband has been taking it everywhere. I went online in hopes of finding one for him and was shocked at the price. Obviously the knives are worth it, but the pawn shop where I bought it always did their research to get as much money as possible. Now I'm wondering if they knew something that I don't. I looked up the model and everything looks legit to me, but I'm sure everyone here is much more familiar with the brand and could spot differences that I would likely miss.
(Ignore the extreme wear. This knife has been used and abused.)

I bought this years ago at a pawn shop for $5. I had no idea what Benchmade was and didn't question it. It was just a knife that I liked. It's been my favorite knife for years and lately my husband has been taking it everywhere. I went online in hopes of finding one for him and was shocked at the price. Obviously the knives are worth it, but the pawn shop where I bought it always did their research to get as much money as possible. Now I'm wondering if they knew something that I don't. I looked up the model and everything looks legit to me, but I'm sure everyone here is much more familiar with the brand and could spot differences that I would likely miss.

Looks good to me!

$5? If I were you, I'd visit that store every Saturday if not every day.

Just joined the forum and feeling pretty good until I ran across this very informative but stomach turning subject. I have two Benchmade knives
I bought off the site mainly talked about here. I usually will only buy from a site that has a very stellar sell history with many buys but they could
have been had also. Need to check out my BM's.
I just read last week that a very large online company was cracking down on the fake merchandise that was listed on their site. I had ordered a ZT
there and one buyer was complaining that another of the ZT's was fake and telling people not to buy. He had pictures to back him up too.
Sad affair for those not in the know.

Bought a 940 secondary market I'd like some input on. Overall the knife seems correct, questionable elements are lack of patent # on a 2017 blade, and more concerning is the liner around the lock seems incorrect. I'd appreciate any input on it. Sucks that we even have to do this at all.

Be happy to provide more pictures if it helps.

uNO17Gq.jpg

BML93JX.jpg

NiLxs2D.jpg

These last two are from a known counterfeit compared to an authentic, neither of them are the knife I have. It seems to confirm the one I have is not authentic.

2L1RrVY.jpg

BhzQXjr.jpg

I just recently purchased a 940 from the Peterson AFB Base Exchange (BX). Here’s a pic...I’m thinking the BX is not dealing with fake Benchmade knives, but I guess I could be wrong. In fact, I’ve purchased several Benchmade knives from the BX so I hope they’re not all fake!
I can’t seem to load the pic...can I get an assist on uploading pics, please?

The small raised metal piece in your counterfeit pic is also in my 940 but it’s in a different location.

from what I can tell the omega spring rides in a notch on many/all clones, where as the authentic always in a hole, not a notch, that is correct I believe? That is the difference in the last two pictures. The knife I purchased the Omega spring is in a notch not a hole. Referencing the 940

Back