Benchmade Fakes, knock-offs, counterfeits thread...

I'll have pictures later tonight. I should mention that the barrage isn't new, it's a "brand used" older version and I found that other owners had liners that didn't have screw holes for the clip in them as well. I did some online research and found pictures of barrage liners without clip screw holes too. Not that it means anything, but I hope that BMK Jimmy can shed more light on this issue later.

I looked into this further. Years back we did add the clip screw holes to the liners. Previously the screws threaded into the handles.

Hi guys. I have 940, but its fake or not?
a7bcc6b15401496628c69f138c1bae0a.jpg

a7bcc6b15401496628c69f138c1bae0a.jpg
475fac5c734a445e13921512b89bc1f6.jpg
7bfa6c8f86c08970b21d83e90c0394f8.jpg

The well defined “U” and bevels on the scales of that one and the one I just bought gave me some cause for concern (especially after watching a real vs fake video on YouTube) but it seems as though BM has made them more defined over the past few years?

3561399E-67B1-4E43-99DF-976090086CEB_zpsugeuc1s1.jpeg

9ADAE394-DE6B-4126-9252-36E00C315F3F_zpsx7womfnr.jpeg
9B575758-1D3F-4922-86E2-86A45D312303_zpsfefgx7bd.jpeg
A7B6BC2C-C1C8-4F17-AB99-CCB937A86BA3_zpseusdi7tk.jpeg

Any thoughts? The U on the scales is only thing I kinda question with my limited knowledge. Thx in advance!

It looks correct to me. The 940 has been around for quite a while now. I am sure slight adjustments in machine programming/tooling could have taken place giving slight variation to the "U" shape.

It looks correct to me. The 940 has been around for quite a while now. I am sure slight adjustments in machine programming/tooling could have taken place giving slight variation to the "U" shape.

Cool, makes sense. It has the great BM feel of others I have handled and thought it was ok until I started seeing all these increasingly concerning counterfeits. Thanks Jimmy!

Contacted Benchmade about my 2 940-1 and they say I have to send them in for check.Is there any certain way to tell genuine from fake in the case of 940-1?Thanks.
PS.I can post few pics of certain spots if someone knows how to check.

Contacted Benchmade about my 2 940-1 and they say I have to send them in for check.Is there any certain way to tell genuine from fake in the case of 940-1?Thanks.
PS.I can post few pics of certain spots if someone knows how to check.
Yes, several, but the one that's the easiest to describe is where the pocket clip screws into metal. The fakes are Grey and the legit ones are black.

t6t0Kop.jpg

NSmlaam.jpg

y2fi4iw.jpg

qFWOlns.jpg

I received this North Fork as a gift. It appears to be legitimate to me. The only reason I suspect otherwise is that I learned that it was purchased off an auction site and did not come with a box. It was marked as in new condition, also.

There are no wear marks or indication it has been used or carried. The edge appears factory, although not as sharp as I'm used to new Benchmades being.

Does this appear to be a real North Fork to the experts here?

Last edited:
My fake mini-skirmish is missing the little hole on the liner lock where the real one has a ball bearing. The steal is crap also.

The seller immediately refunded my money si I couldn’t leave feedback!

I would love toget a real one. I have the full size skirmish and I hope it’s real!

Bigger than the Contego I just got at antique store, which I am now worried isa knock off but it feels great. All black, too sharp scales (which are mentioned for the real Contego), no glass breaker (which was jetisoned on the new ones with blue and black scales. But I see knives like mine for 49 bucks on flea bay. And the box sucked but that wasnt unexpected in an antique store.

Fake Skirmish...(Sturgis)

s-l13600.jpg~original

s-l16100.jpg~original

s-l1600_1.jpg~original

Last edited:
s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600.jpg

I just picked up a BM 940-1 off fleabay. Everything looks okay except for maybe the blue bugout thumbstud AND the osborne blade stamp has no patent no. or .com stamp underneath. It would be a very good fake if so...what do my fellow forumites think? Input would be greatly appreciated. (I'll take a decent hit if it is fake)

Would this be an older stamp? I certainly cannot find any similar online, some on the older/other model 940s

not sure about the thumbstuds. they don’t laser engrave the patent information on newer knives due to the patent having expired a little while back. what is the date that’s printed on the end of the box?

Back