1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Benchmade Fakes, knock-offs, counterfeits thread...

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by 338375, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Benchmade

Benchmade BMK Jimmy - Design Engineer Moderator

Jan 25, 2013
    I looked into this further. Years back we did add the clip screw holes to the liners. Previously the screws threaded into the handles.

TonySal likes this.
  2. vinte77

vinte77 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Thanks for the update BMK Jimmy.

3. domingez

domingez

May 3, 2013
    Hi guys. I have 940, but its fake or not?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

rexromic and TonySal like this.
  4. TonySal

TonySal

Jan 10, 2015
    It's a beautiful 940, but sorry, Im not the expert on here, good luck!

5. jkarp_53

jkarp_53

May 25, 2006
    It's real. Typical fit and finish, use it well!

6. badtoneno

badtoneno

Jun 4, 2019
    The well defined “U” and bevels on the scales of that one and the one I just bought gave me some cause for concern (especially after watching a real vs fake video on YouTube) but it seems as though BM has made them more defined over the past few years?

7. badtoneno

badtoneno

Jun 4, 2019
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Any thoughts? The U on the scales is only thing I kinda question with my limited knowledge. Thx in advance!

8. Benchmade

Benchmade BMK Jimmy - Design Engineer Moderator

Jan 25, 2013
    It looks correct to me. The 940 has been around for quite a while now. I am sure slight adjustments in machine programming/tooling could have taken place giving slight variation to the "U" shape.

9. badtoneno

badtoneno

Jun 4, 2019
    Cool, makes sense. It has the great BM feel of others I have handled and thought it was ok until I started seeing all these increasingly concerning counterfeits. Thanks Jimmy!

10. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Contacted Benchmade about my 2 940-1 and they say I have to send them in for check.Is there any certain way to tell genuine from fake in the case of 940-1?Thanks.
    PS.I can post few pics of certain spots if someone knows how to check.

11. Mac11448888

Mac11448888

Jun 21, 2019
    [​IMG] Hey friends, i just bought a benchmade 940-2 off ebay, can someone please confirm its authenticity? much appreciated
    https://imgur.com/a/kcx5aT1

12. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Yes, several, but the one that's the easiest to describe is where the pocket clip screws into metal. The fakes are Grey and the legit ones are black.

rexromic likes this.
  13. Kcorange11

Kcorange11 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2019
  14. kjc1019

kjc1019

Jul 18, 2019
    Hi everyone, I finally pulled the trigger and got my first Benchmade. I got this Griptilian 553 and am in need a legit check on it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/b7l3PVm

15. irons

irons

Oct 19, 2018
    Not an expert on fakes. But I do have a Griptilian and that looks fine to me.

16. MOCraig

MOCraig

Apr 8, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I received this North Fork as a gift. It appears to be legitimate to me. The only reason I suspect otherwise is that I learned that it was purchased off an auction site and did not come with a box. It was marked as in new condition, also.

There are no wear marks or indication it has been used or carried. The edge appears factory, although not as sharp as I'm used to new Benchmades being.

Does this appear to be a real North Fork to the experts here?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  17. AdamSelene

AdamSelene

May 17, 2015
    My fake mini-skirmish is missing the little hole on the liner lock where the real one has a ball bearing. The steal is crap also.

The seller immediately refunded my money si I couldn’t leave feedback!

I would love toget a real one. I have the full size skirmish and I hope it’s real!

Bigger than the Contego I just got at antique store, which I am now worried isa knock off but it feels great. All black, too sharp scales (which are mentioned for the real Contego), no glass breaker (which was jetisoned on the new ones with blue and black scales. But I see knives like mine for 49 bucks on flea bay. And the box sucked but that wasnt unexpected in an antique store.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  18. William P

William P Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2011
    s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600.jpg

I just picked up a BM 940-1 off fleabay. Everything looks okay except for maybe the blue bugout thumbstud AND the osborne blade stamp has no patent no. or .com stamp underneath. It would be a very good fake if so...what do my fellow forumites think? Input would be greatly appreciated. (I'll take a decent hit if it is fake)

Would this be an older stamp? I certainly cannot find any similar online, some on the older/other model 940s