Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Just finished an Anchor Steam, which is the perfect beer. This is perfect, too:
rAa3jdv.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Summer Kirkland mix is back. I consider it a great stroke of luck that neither IPA tastes like it was made of grapefruit, and I love paying less than a dollar a bottle for a good beer. (Even so, I'll have to try Anchor Steam.)
XRWRCNL.jpg

I need to replace the stepped bolster on that knife.
This stuff is still helping me keep it to two proper drinks a day. Dasani is 40 cents per can and has added salt, Meijer's tastes a little better than Kirkland for 30 cents per can, Kirkland tastes fine and is 25 cents per can. No calories, sweeteners, or sodium in either. No caffeine either, but that isn't a selling point for me.
OqEKPP9.jpg

20190607-172552.jpg

Hands up anyone who knows the Capitol of Australia....?????????
No One ? not surprised*
Well its Can Beerra..ho ho I made a funny.
Can of beer ...can berra...Canberra?? No?
OK.
Well its better than the myth they used as a witty play on words to market this beer!
The beer is quite good .Its a craft beer of which Canberra or more correctly the ACT(australian capital territory) has an abundance.HOWEVER......Canberrans are different to the rest of us....dont know why but they are...maybe they have their humour glands removed at birth....the ability to drive cars properly gland has certainly been bred out. That said.. they know their beer.
Note the name of the above brew...Barley Griffin and allow me to enlighten you...it can only be of amusement to uneducated slobs.
OK Canberra did not exist until around 1913.
Prior to that it was a freezing barren sheep paddock. Strangely the infant Australian govt enlisted an American architect to design the city...Walter Burley Griffin..(burley barley chortle chortle ho ho) it was a well designed city. He formed a lake known as Lake Burley Griffin....
and here lies the problem ....his surname was Griffin not Burley Griffin...Burley was his middle name ...so why would they name the f%$#&*g lake Burley Griffin....if you have a middle name indulge me and pretend to name a lake after yourself using middle and surnames....its wrong!...and so is naming a beer with it....even if it does sound like barley...
Rant over...

On a more positive note.... Prester John Prester John has boldly claimed this as the worlds best beer....so when I saw it at the local shop I had to see.
Vince you could be right...
20190607-170407.jpg

The claim that steam anchor originator Maytag gave birth to craft brewing is spurious...I believe that honour belongs to Australian convict James Squire....if beer label history is anything to go by

Cheers all and Happy Birthday Lizzy.

Going to pitch some horse shoes and drink this IPA ... pineapple and mandarin ... though it looks much less like juice than some of those hazy IPAs Taylor has shown us.

IrK6DPM.jpg
I'm gonna have to give that one a try. Great BSK. Love the saw cut!

On a more positive note.... Prester John Prester John has boldly claimed this as the worlds best beer....so when I saw it at the local shop I had to see.
Vince you could be right...
20190607-170407.jpg

The claim that steam anchor originator Maytag gave birth to craft brewing is spurious...I believe that honour belongs to Australian convict James Squire....if beer label history is anything to go by

Cheers all and Happy Birthday Lizzy.

We Yanks should apologize as this is a global forum and the definition of craft brewery is focused pretty much on the USA. It's not the age of the brewery; however, it is how the beer is brewed. Before prohibition in the USA, beer was brewed locally, every city and many towns had their own breweries (I think Prester commented somewhere about how there used to be only a handful of breweries...true but that was post-prohibition). With prohibition most of the small local breweries died and following prohibition and into the 1970s there was consolidation of the beer industry and development of "macrobreweries." These huge breweries basically manufactured beer and tended to specialize in lagers. To brew the quantities they wanted, they used increasing amounts of corn, rice and other unmalted grains...I'm pretty sure Australia's huge breweries brew their lagers with the same focus on volume. Maytag saved Anchor Steam, one of the small local breweries that had survived prohibition and he focused on making a quality beer (i.e., craft beer)...shortly thereafter New Albion Ale sprang up and many consider this the original microbrewery (Sam Adams released a New Albion several years ago as a homage and the original New Albion signage hangs in Russian River Brewery, the maker of the great Pliny the Elder and Younger). Whether Anchor Steam or New Albion these two then brought forth Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams and then the flood gates were open. I looked up "James Squire Brewery" and they appear to be a brewery with similar focus as the USA's microbreweries, making a variety of low batch beers with focus on quality and flavor...going to have to try and find some...thanks for the tip!

....guess I'm the only one drinking on this fine afternoon:confused:. Worked early from home so I could pick up my daughter who is returning home from college...home now after a nice lunch (father/daughter lunches are great) and decided on a nice session beer. In a can, so no need for a crown lifter. Pulled out the SS 15 clip for this "session."

TJQVmWQ.jpg

Back